The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Brown people on tsr do you think white people are naturally racist ?

Do you?

I'e do you think they are born that way.

If so why?

Scroll to see replies

I think brown people are far more racist than White ones.
lol, no one is born racist, you can only become racist. Most white people are not racist, there are probably an equal amount of brown racsists to white. If we were born racist on our ethnicity mixed race people(me) would be very confused.
A few maybe but views of the few doesn't reflect that of the majority. Doesn't necessarily account to "white" This can apply to all races. I have best friends that are white, black,brown, yellow and blue.. Smurfs included. But yeah there are bad apples in every race, not just whites. I'm brown with an open mind. Sorry if I drifted away from talking about whites in general like your question but stereotyping whites as "naturally" racist is false.
Yes, bar a minority but, tbh, I don't think racial discrimination is exclusive to white people.
This is such an obvious attempt to get people arguing and hating each other...
Reply 6
For good or ill, the UK is demonstrably one of the most racially tolerant countries in the world: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/ (in fact almost all racially tolerant countries are located in Western Europe and the anglosphere - the entire concept of treating all races equally is largely a 20th century European invention, and a historical anomaly. The vast majority of societies in world history are, and have always been, incredibly racist)

If the UK was 'racist' then it wouldnt have been willing to let so many non-white people into the country and grant them citizenship and full rights. But then, give people an inch and they take a mile.
(edited 9 years ago)
"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."
Nelson Mandela
Original post by Alfissti
I think brown people are far more racist than White ones.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did Brown people colonize the world?
Nobody is born racist, and brown people can be just as racist as white people.
No.
Reply 11
No, I don't think a person can ever be born racist no matter their skin colour. If that were true then you're arguing it's human nature to hate.

Plus it's not fair to make sweeping generalisations like that. Racism can be found within any ethnicity.
Original post by whydoidothis?
lol, no one is born racist, you can only become racist. Most white people are not racist, there are probably an equal amount of brown racsists to white. If we were born racist on our ethnicity mixed race people(me) would be very confused.

But some might say thats the truth though.
I mean look at how many mixed race people call themselves black. If thats not confused then i dont know what is.
The thing is...(now this is my experience) I'm white and I've never met any racist white people, but I've had racism against me from non-white people :confused:. I know my experience is my own, but it feels a bit like the extreme feminists in this case, that ethnic minorities feel it's within their rights to counter years of racism back at us despite the fact (the younger generation) never had anything to do with the original racism.

So I don't think anyone's naturally racist, it's just a part of history and their society.

And I seriously think we need to approach racism with a logical attitude, tolerance is key...across the board, racism is not good, against whites, browns, blacks....full stop.
Original post by Maid Marian
Nobody is born racist, and brown people can be just as racist as white people.

This was an article from the dailymail only about a week ago

UNBELIEVABLE:White babies just 15 months old show racial bias when picking playmates

article-2605633-01E673C200000578-33_634x426.jpg

Toddlers show racial bias when picking playmates, a study reveals.
They also take account of how fairly others behave.
Researchers tested the reaction of white 15-month-olds as toys were distributed.
Researchers found white babies favoured supervisors who showed bias towards others of their race

Researchers found white babies favoured supervisors who showed bias towards others of their race
Two white adults divided the toys, one equally and the other unequally.
Seventy per cent of the toddlers chose to play with the researcher who distributed the toys fairly.

But in a second test, when one researcher favoured a white recipient over an Asian one, they picked the ‘fair’ researcher less often, the journal Frontiers in Psychology reports.
And the babies are more likely to help those who share the same ethnicity, which is known as in-group bias when people favour those with the same characteristics as oneself.

The University of Washington team first noticed the phenomenon when the infants began playing favourites with the researchers during a previous experiment.
Professor Jessica Sommerville said: 'At the time, about half of the research assistants in my lab were Asian-American and the other half were Caucasian, and most of the babies in our experiments are Caucasian.
'We know that by preschool, children show in-group bias concerning race, but results in infants have been mixed.
'It's surprising to see these pro-social traits of valuing fairness so early on, but at the same time, we're also seeing that babies have self-motivated concerns too.'
The study revealed when it came to picking a playmate, the babies seemed more tolerant of unfairness when the white recipient benefited from it.
They picked the fair experimenter less often when the unfair experimenter gave more toys to the white recipient rather than the Asian one.
The researchers say this implies that babies can take into account both race and social history when deciding which person would make a better playmate.
Professor Jessica Sommerville of the University of Washington said: ‘If all babies care about is fairness, then they would always pick the fair distributor, but we’re also seeing that they’re interested in consequences for their own group members.’

The infants were handed toys by two researchers - one who handed them out fairly and one who did not

article-2605633-02C409D3000005DC-507_306x423.jpg
Reply 15
White people are seen as more racist because they take over the world, India, Australia, America, Africa and the footprint they leave behind after leaving is not a good one its full of slaughter destruction and mass scales of murder of other colonies.

That's why people perceive them as more racist. Maybe it's true, but not white people, but in fact American And British people. And in Russia only whites are allowed. They attack blacks and gays. In Israel they ethnic cleansed black people by giving them secret abortions.

So they can be generally more racist as every other race was the oppressed one and because of Russia Israel UK and America...including now Australia. They are generally more racist on a large scale.
Original post by theoferdinand
x

They're babies. :facepalm: They're just responding to what is familiar to them, I would guess.
Original post by theoferdinand
This was an article from the dailymail only about a week ago

UNBELIEVABLE:White babies just 15 months old show racial bias when picking playmates

article-2605633-01E673C200000578-33_634x426.jpg

Toddlers show racial bias when picking playmates, a study reveals.
They also take account of how fairly others behave.
Researchers tested the reaction of white 15-month-olds as toys were distributed.

Two white adults divided the toys, one equally and the other unequally.
Seventy per cent of the toddlers chose to play with the researcher who distributed the toys fairly.

But in a second test, when one researcher favoured a white recipient over an Asian one, they picked the ‘fair’ researcher less often, the journal Frontiers in Psychology reports.
And the babies are more likely to help those who share the same ethnicity, which is known as in-group bias when people favour those with the same characteristics as oneself.

The University of Washington team first noticed the phenomenon when the infants began playing favourites with the researchers during a previous experiment.
Professor Jessica Sommerville said: 'At the time, about half of the research assistants in my lab were Asian-American and the other half were Caucasian, and most of the babies in our experiments are Caucasian.
'We know that by preschool, children show in-group bias concerning race, but results in infants have been mixed.
'It's surprising to see these pro-social traits of valuing fairness so early on, but at the same time, we're also seeing that babies have self-motivated concerns too.'
The study revealed when it came to picking a playmate, the babies seemed more tolerant of unfairness when the white recipient benefited from it.
They picked the fair experimenter less often when the unfair experimenter gave more toys to the white recipient rather than the Asian one.
The researchers say this implies that babies can take into account both race and social history when deciding which person would make a better playmate.
Professor Jessica Sommerville of the University of Washington said: ‘If all babies care about is fairness, then they would always pick the fair distributor, but we’re also seeing that they’re interested in consequences for their own group members.’

The infants were handed toys by two researchers - one who handed them out fairly and one who did not

article-2605633-02C409D3000005DC-507_306x423.jpg

They could easily be choosing based on what looks most similar to their parents or siblings, so theoretically if a White baby were adopted by a Black couple, they might show a preference towards Black supervisors because they remind them of their mother.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by yo radical one
They could easily be choosing based on what looks most similar to their parents or siblings, so theoretically if a White baby were adopted by a Black couple, they might show a preference towards Black supervisors because it reminds them of their mother.

But even if it was a black couples baby the baby chose the white one. And when asked they said because he's black. So its obviously society and racial tension that has caused this.
Reply 19
Original post by yo radical one
They could easily be choosing based on what looks most similar to their parents or siblings, so theoretically if a White baby were adopted by a Black couple, they might show a preference towards Black supervisors because they remind them of their mother.

You've kind of missed the point. Its not that white people have a gene that makes them prefer white people, and that black people have a gene that makes them prefer black people. Its that everyone is biologically wired to view the world in terms of "people like me and my close relatives" vs "people not like me", and this classification begins in very early childhood. In-group vs out-group discrimination is pretty fundamental and is observed in literally every human society in history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-group_favoritism

So yes what you have said is true to some extent, but irrelevant.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest