The Student Room Group

Hierarchical Intelligence amongst peers.

In other words, do you ever have the right to treat people with contempt when they criticise you for simply talking about or having views on a certain subject and how you voice that view.

In class I often experience people trying to bring me down or fire me down when I express educated political/philosophical views that I believe are well reasoned and logically consistent. I don't know tonnes about politics but I know enough to talk about a lot of topics and whenever I voice my opinion in a strong assertive way, I'm fired down and accused of 'thinking I'm right all the time' when the people who do this, from when I listen to them try and talk about these topics, know almost nothing at all about the subject.

Are they wrong to criticise me when they don't even understand the content?

And relating back to the title, although there are more intelligent people than others, do those who're more intelligent have good reason to not take the less intelligent people seriously when they try and shout their opinion on topics they know nothing about

I would say we do have that right, mainly because those who have learnt about the subject have spent time and effort trying to understand it.

I fear this mightn't have made sense but I'm sure someone has experienced this before.... thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by JohnPaul_
In other words, do you ever have the right to treat people with contempt when they criticise you for simply talking about or having views on a certain subject and how you voice that view.

In class I often experience people trying to bring me down or fire me down when I express educated political/philosophical views that I believe are well reasoned and logically consistent. I don't know tonnes about politics but I know enough to talk about a lot of topics and whenever I voice my opinion in a strong assertive way, I'm fired down and accused of 'thinking I'm right all the time' when the people who do this, from when I listen to them try and talk about these topics, know almost nothing at all about the subject.

And relating back to the title, although there are more intelligent people than others, do those who're more intelligent have good reason to not take the less intelligent people seriously when they try and shout their opinion on topics they know nothing about

I would say we do have that right, mainly because those who have learnt about the subject have spent time and effort trying to understand it.

I fear this mightn't have made sense but I'm sure someone has experienced this before.... thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have experienced this before, sometimes I try to be pleasant and accommodating yet if I either dislike the person (often because there pseudointellectuals) or feel they are talking complete and utter nonsense I will ridicule their points and make evident the views inherent flaws. However that onlys with a selected few people, normally I just listen and try to understand their view and why they believe it
Original post by JohnPaul_

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find that the best way to deal with these people is to ignore them. I'm sorry that you've been subjected to this. If you know more on the subject, then this will come through in your arguments and they'll all wind up sounding like even bigger idiots for spewing garbage so loudly. Speak softly and carry your big stick--- in this case your superior understanding of the topic (whatever it may be).
Reply 3

from TSR Mobile

QUOTE=JohnPaul_;47380777]In other words, do you ever have the right to treat people with contempt when they criticise you for simply talking about or having views on a certain subject and how you voice that view.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In regards to treating people with contempt, that really just depends on the situation and who your conversing with. If it is someone who purports themselves as very intelligent yet really are rather shallow intellectually, then yes contempt. If it is just someone who believes that a certain thing is true without any pretentious behaviour/attitude, then no.

Though its really quite subjective to be fair
Posted from TSR Mobile[/Quote
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Make sure your not trying to coax views out of somebody that doesn't give a damn about the subject or they might get annoyed and shut you down with a comment like: 'thinking I'm right all the time' .

Also politics, religion etc is a minefield, avoid getting into unplanned debates on this kind of subject - people get emotionally attached to very poorly-grounded views here.
You can't go around telling them their religion is likely a pack of lies then start quoting from origin of species and a brief history of time. It wont end well.
Reply 5
One of the more interesting revelations I've had has been the realisation that people's certainty is rarely correlated with the likelihood they're actually right. There is a known phenomenon in psychology called the Dunning-Kruger effect which demonstrates that certainty is often correlated with ignorance (and the same is true inversely). People tend to hold strong opinions on topics where they have not been sufficiently exposed to reasons to doubt their position. So I think yes, they are probably wrong to criticise you.
Original post by miser
One of the more interesting revelations I've had has been the realisation that people's certainty is rarely correlated with the likelihood they're actually right. There is a known phenomenon in psychology called the Dunning-Kruger effect which demonstrates that certainty is often correlated with ignorance (and the same is true inversely). People tend to hold strong opinions on topics where they have not been sufficiently exposed to reasons to doubt their position. So I think yes, they are probably wrong to criticise you.

It's certainly interesting. A related effect which I can't recall the name of now is that intelligent people tend to underestimate their intelligence/knowledge, whereas average or below average people tend to overestimate their intelligence/knowledge. Again it seems to be a consequence of not being cognizant of your own ignorance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending