The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maccostello
sex linkage just refers to genes being located on chromosome X and/or Y :smile:

Isn't it just X? :redface:

Also, anyone have reaaaally old past papers for genetics questions? Love the topic, but so crap at answering Qs
Yes basically only the X chromosome, at our level of understanding, anyway... I guess.. since it's just a little ​more complex in real life.
Reply 182
Any one got any predictions for the 10 markers? They all seem horrible at the moment. :confused:
Original post by Aapi27
Any one got any predictions for the 10 markers? They all seem horrible at the moment. :confused:

I was thinking about this earlier, and I really wouldn't be surprised if they did a 10 marker on plant reproduction, it wasn't in the paper AT ALL last year, so it's likely to reappear, but I can't see them making a massive question on it, so a 10 marker seems likely, maybe pollination/fertilisation?

They tend to pick something from 5.6 as well, since it's such a big topic and you can waffle about advantages/disadvantages?

My bet would be something on 5.3, and something on 5.6 (cloning/GM crops maybe?) and possibly an ecology question (5.7/5.8) since they came up loads last year, they might just put a ten marker in this year? :confused:
What exactly is the difference between non-disjunction and polyploidy? they seem the same to me :frown:
Polyploidy is just that, having a ultiple ploidy. E.g, a triploid, a tetraploid.

So long as the ploidy is even, the organism should be fertile. As they are still able to form homologous pairs. Triploids however, cannot pair-up, thus are sterile.

Non-disjunction is different. This is the process in which faulty cell division results in one daughter cell getting two copies of the chromosome, whilst the other daughter cell gets no copies.

The daughter cell with no copies will die, however, it is possible that the cell with two copies survives, and may be fertilised, resulting in 3 copies of a chromosome.
goooood luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
will someone fully explain a pregnancy test to me, all we have is a picture and im scared of it coming up as a 4 marker
Original post by natashac0428
will someone fully explain a pregnancy test to me, all we have is a picture and im scared of it coming up as a 4 marker

Hey! I shall try my best! During pregnancy, the hormone hCG is released by the chorion on the blastocyst (the zygote after fertilisation as it moves to the uterus lining), anyway this hormone is excreted in the urine during pregnancy.
So urine is placed on a sample strip on the pregnancy test, where anti-bodies, which are specific to hCG bind with the hCG hormone in the urine. The anti-bodies are also attached to some coloured beads. The antibodies, which are bound to the hCG, move through the capillary after being carried by urine.
They reach the test zone, where there are a number of immobilised enzymes specific to hCG as well, the hCG binds to the immobilised enzymes. As hCG is still bound to the first antibody, there is a build up of coloured beads, signifying pregnancy!
if there is no hCG none of this happens :smile: hope I helped in some way! good luck!:biggrin:
Original post by chrismorgan7341
Hey! I shall try my best! During pregnancy, the hormone hCG is released by the chorion on the blastocyst (the zygote after fertilisation as it moves to the uterus lining), anyway this hormone is excreted in the urine during pregnancy.
So urine is placed on a sample strip on the pregnancy test, where anti-bodies, which are specific to hCG bind with the hCG hormone in the urine. The anti-bodies are also attached to some coloured beads. The antibodies, which are bound to the hCG, move through the capillary after being carried by urine.
They reach the test zone, where there are a number of immobilised enzymes specific to hCG as well, the hCG binds to the immobilised enzymes. As hCG is still bound to the first antibody, there is a build up of coloured beads, signifying pregnancy!
if there is no hCG none of this happens :smile: hope I helped in some way! good luck!:biggrin:

******immobilised antibodies!!!! I have another unit stuck in my head!!!
Definition of gel electrophoresis as a 2 marker?! Please!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sailorben
Polyploidy is just that, having a ultiple ploidy. E.g, a triploid, a tetraploid.

So long as the ploidy is even, the organism should be fertile. As they are still able to form homologous pairs. Triploids however, cannot pair-up, thus are sterile.

Non-disjunction is different. This is the process in which faulty cell division results in one daughter cell getting two copies of the chromosome, whilst the other daughter cell gets no copies.

The daughter cell with no copies will die, however, it is possible that the cell with two copies survives, and may be fertilised, resulting in 3 copies of a chromosome.

thank you so much! so is a tetraploid fertile?
How did everyone find the paper? :P
Mixed feelings, the succession question wasn't very nice!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What even was that succession question though. Urgh.

Which essay did everyone do?
The question at the start asking to describe what was happening in the rectangle box... What did everyone put for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did the plants and the fertilisation one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Loislucas
The question at the start asking to describe what was happening in the rectangle box... What did everyone put for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

DNA replication, then expanded on it a bit
Original post by anniejforster
What even was that succession question though. Urgh.

Which essay did everyone do?

The plant one. They were both pretty **** 10markers but the other one looked worse
I thought energy flow was a beautiful essay question apart from animals in confined spaces bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending