The Student Room Group

When to start revising for November GCSE exams

I will be sitting my gcse math-numeracy exams in November this year and I was wondering when would be the best time to start revising. I will be aiming for top marks
Would it be worth doing revision during summer or wait until September when I start year 11?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by makaroni34
I will be sitting my gcse math exams in November this year and I was wondering when would be the best time to start revising. I will be aiming for top marks
Would it be worth doing revision during summer or wait until September when I start year 11?

What year did you just finish? How come you are sitting your exam in nov?
Reply 2
Original post by tamilGuy.
What year did you just finish? How come you are sitting your exam in nov?

I just finished Year 10. I sit WJEC so they do some exams in November (so you get results in January and have option to resit in May)
Reply 3
I just finished Year 10. I sit WJEC so they do some exams in November (so you get results in January and have option to resit in May)

Oh damn, didn't know that was possible.

But as for your original question, top grades demand hardwork and practice! Don't leave it for Septemeber (Nov is two months away, you would have a busy Y11 timetable anyways!) Make your life easier, start now! Obv you haven't finished Y10 yet, but when holidays start around July 20th, take a couple of days off. But start towards the end of July and work. Maths is weird, if you don't keep your practice streak going, you'll lose touch and that is not something you could afford if exams are in Nov. So do your bit over summer!

Goodluck :smile:
Reply 4

I checked and the rules say "WJEC/Eduqas November 2023 ... Fri 3Nov. * Eduqas examinations are only available to candidates who have reached the age of 16 on or before 31 August 2023."

Who has told you that you can sit them?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
I checked and the rules say "WJEC/Eduqas November 2023 ... Fri 3Nov. * Eduqas examinations are only available to candidates who have reached the age of 16 on or before 31 August 2023."

Who has told you that you can sit them?

My school (so does many others) has Year 11s sit them every year. I don't know much about the exam rules but I know I will definitely be sitting them
Reply 6
My school (so does many others) has Year 11s sit them every year. I don't know much about the exam rules but I know I will definitely be sitting them

How do they do that when you aren't allowed to take them as a first sitting? You do realsie that if you resit both grades have to be recorded on your UCAS form.
Reply 7
How do they do that when you aren't allowed to take them as a first sitting? You do realsie that if you resit both grades have to be recorded on your UCAS form.

I'm pretty sure it's math-numeracy we sit so the rules might be different for that. In wjec you do both Math and numeracy as separate GCSEs.
Because I know that I will have to sit Maths in May but I do numeracy in November
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure it's math-numeracy we sit so the rules might be different for that. In wjec you do both Math and numeracy as separate GCSEs.
Because I know that I will have to sit Maths in May but I do numeracy in November

You did not say that earlier ....
Reply 9
You did not say that earlier ....

I didn't think it would have such a significance. In the past people don't know what numeracy is (since only wjec sit it) so I just referred to it as math as that is basically what it is. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't realise there was so many rules resolving around the November math exams.
I'll change that in my post now
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 10
I didn't think it would have such a significance. In the past people don't know what numeracy is (since only wjec sit it) so I just referred to it as math as that is basically what it is. Sorry for the confusion. I didn't realise there was so many rules resolving around the November math exams

Anyway back to your question - what grae are you working at? Download the spec and RAG-rate topics.
I will be sitting my gcse math-numeracy exams in November this year and I was wondering when would be the best time to start revising. I will be aiming for top marks

Why not start now? Start with a smaller amount and revise more and more gradually. https://edumentors.co.uk/blog/when-should-you-start-revising-for-gcses/

It's recommended to start 6 months early but don't go crazy in summer
revise the day before each exam trust me. foolish boy start revising now fam time goes quick fam. you will blink and its exam season start today if its a little.

Quick Reply

Latest