The Student Room Group

Depression & Anxiety has really destroyed me! How do I get back on the horse?

I've been through quite a lot over the last few years and i ended up suffering from depression and anxiety. i was having constant panic attacks and my mental health got worse.

anyway, i'm not going to go into too much detail, but i'm now 25 and my poor mental health has ruined me. I used to be confident and motivated, but i've been unemployed for over 2 years and my motivation is absolutely shot to pieces.

i really want to improve my situation, but it's been so tough. I just don't know what to do any more. I never went to university, and after failing to go a few years back i just felt really indecisive about what i wanted to do with my life.

I have become a shadow of the person I used to be and it's such a bitter bill to swallow. I live at home with my father and although I want to move out, I'm unemployed with not much chance of obtaining a job that pays enough for me to do so.

It feels like I have to start from scratch all over again. I feel I'm 18 again, and not in a good way. I just feel so low and I don't know what to do.

I don't know where to go in life; i have no direction and it's really frustrating. I feel so insecure about my situation that i feel like i don't have anything to offer a girl. Sometimes i sit back and think if things would have been different, but i just have to keep plowing through life.
Reply 1
Goto your GP for professional help. It sucks having to go and is a super hard first step but it'll be so worth it. Wish you the best of luck. x
Reply 2
It's all about the way you're looking at yourself and the way you're looking at the world. I think you just need to completely change your outlook. I know it's really hard but it is possible. People just find it easy to just assume it's impossible because they just don't want to make the effort. I'm not gonna lie, it takes a large amount of effort to change your outlook, but there is a way to do it: you need to motivate yourself to change your outlook with the knowledge that once you do, your life will turn around and everything will get better. It's hard to imagine life being good when you're down in the dumps like that because it's hard to access any mental state other than the one you're in. All you need to know is that life WILL be better if you change your mentality, and then start taking the steps to change your mentality. These are the things that must be kept in mind if you are really hoping to change. First, stop being self-critical. Nothing makes you any worse than anyone else. You don't have less to offer than the majority of other men or people in general. Stop putting other humans on pedestals. You've had a million experiences/thoughts throughout your life that make you a fascinating being, no matter how depressing a lot of those thoughts/experiences may have been. These are things to keep in mind when trying to build your confidence/faith in yourself which will in turn be the basis of your motivation to live. You'll become more outgoing because your faith in yourself will build your hopes for what you can do, and that will motivate you to do those things. You'll start becoming more curious and interested in life and people. The other thing to keep in mind though is to stop viewing the world so negatively. Try keeping an eye out for things that you love. Just always keep these things in view because things can easily slip completely out of our minds/consciousness, which is probably happening to you these days. Try to remember all of the things that are great in the world, and that will give you the strength to actually face the world and find those things, if that makes sense? I haven't been very clear but I hope that this can make some sense to you and that you can read between the lines and, with all this in view, start making an effort to change the way you think and view yourself and the world. I promise you if you make this effort you will get motivated and start enjoying life and exercising your potential. Just lower your standards (i mainly mean that you need to realise that you're perfectly capable of taking on the world, because it seems like you don't believe this right now). In short, the knowledge that if you do make the effort, you will get over this dark period and reach your full potential (this idea should be really exciting), should drive your mission to make this effort and actually make these changes. You're just being mentally lazy (most of us are when we are depressed).
Reply 3
I didn't answer your full question: Basically once you make these changes you WILL know where you want to go in life because you'll see so many more possibilities that you aren't seeing now because of your negative outlook.

One more thing about motivation. The idea of what your life could be like if you make this effort to change should be exciting enough to motivate you to make the effort, so try to really see what the world has to offer and what you have to offer. Once you see this, you will be motivated to change.

Super repetitive, but good luck!!
Reply 4
It's really not as easy as just changing your mental outlook. Please be careful before you put that extra burden and pressure on yourself. You are NOT being mentally lazy. You wouldn't tell someone with diabetes that their pancreas was just being lazy.

I'd advise seeing your GP in the first instance. It can be a lot easier to see the bright side once you have some help with the chemical imbalance and symptoms of anxiety and depression.

I hope you find some peace and help.
Reply 5
First thing you need to do is stop keeping thinking about what makes you sad as by doing this you would only increase your stress, the thing you need to do is take a break and stop thinking about problems affecting you, i know this would be hard however try watching funny videos on youtube or funny vines as this would get your mind off problems and would make you feel better, on the long term i would suggest you to live life as in go to the theme park, do something you enjoy even if its throwing water balloons at children lool, anything that would take your mind off problems and make you feel like your self. If you want you can messege me and i could send you some funny videos to cheer you up, just remember the more you stress the more bad you would worry.

Quick Reply

Latest