The Student Room Group

How can people be unemployed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChelseaYvonne
Yes. Even in an ideal World where everyone is qualified and has the skills for every job and everybody wants to work, there would still have to be unemployed people as the fact of the matter is, there are not enough jobs for everyone.

I despair at the self-righteous bleatings of the Arbeit macht frei crowd. They are determined to perpetuate the myth of the feckless unemployed no matter what the demographic reality. This is simple logical inference, people.
I do somewhat agree with the original poster. People are unwilling to take part-time jobs while they are looking for a full-time position, instead treating job searching as a full-time occupation. Truth is, the only limiting factors to you getting a job is either your suitability or your geographical location.

I take work wherever I find it, as I don't think there is anything beneath me. There are many jobs out there, but people are unwilling to take up those roles.
It's really hard to get on the employment ladder. I was rejected so many times before someone gave me a chance. I took the opportunity and ended up going through the ranks a bit, it was a crap job with high staff turnover but I made plenty of friends and once I finished university, I had all that to put on my CV in addition to having a degree. Every non graduate job I applied for offered me an interview.

The place i'm at now doesn't pay an awful lot (£16-17k), it's not somewhere I want to be in the long term but it was the best job available to me at the time, so I took it. There aren't many graduates who can say they walked into a job as soon as they finished their exams. Some of my friends, by comparison, haven't found a job because they are aiming too high.

A lot of people also misinterpret what an employer is actually looking for. Particularly young people who think their B in GCSE Geography and an ''I am punctual, I can work in a team'' paragraph is going to get them a job. Looking back on it now, my early attempts at writing a CV/sending off a job application were laughable.

Original post by Lasershark
What does annoy me is when students say they have no work experience, but are not willing to volunteer for free to get experience and a reference. Even if it's only every Sunday afternoon, you're still showing you can work and can stick to something. I volunteered a lot more than that because I enjoyed the work, and had a good reference because I showed I was committed. Even when I was in paid work with McDonald's, I still went back to the shop and volunteered because I enjoyed it so much and I felt good for carrying on working.

The main reason I got my first job was because I talked about volunteering. One of my friends also worked in Oxfam for 8 months, and that experience made it easier for her to find work too.
Reply 83
I'd say there is a shortage of high-skilled jobs, but in my opinion there needs to be a shortage to encourage efficiency. Secondly, for people pulling out statistics demonstrating that there "are 3.6 unemployed person for every job vacancy that exists", that really doesn't say much unless you can prove that 3.6 unemployed people apply for every 1 job vacancy.
Original post by YNM96
I'd say there is a shortage of high-skilled jobs, but in my opinion there needs to be a shortage to encourage efficiency. Secondly, for people pulling out statistics demonstrating that there "are 3.6 unemployed person for every job vacancy that exists", that really doesn't say much unless you can prove that 3.6 unemployed people apply for every 1 job vacancy.

Obviously I can't testify to every vacancy but whenever I've been at job interviews before I found out I'd got onto a post grad course, there were upwards of 10 people at the interview all after the one position.

Also, even if unemployed people are not all applying to those jobs, it doesn't change the fact that there is not a job out there for every single person. As I said in my above comment: Even if everybody were willing and qualified for every job, it does not change the fact that there are more people than jobs, so some will inevitably end up unemployed, regardless of how hard they try.
Reply 85
Obviously I can't testify to every vacancy but whenever I've been at job interviews before I found out I'd got onto a post grad course, there were upwards of 10 people at the interview all after the one position.Were they job interviews for high-skilled jobs? if yes read my previous comment.

Also, even if unemployed people are not all applying to those jobs, it doesn't change the fact that there is not a job out there for every single person. As I said in my above comment: Even if everybody were willing and qualified for every job, it does not change the fact that there are more people than jobs, so some will inevitably end up unemployed, regardless of how hard they try.
But that's not the case is it. Because of the fact that all unemployed people do not apply for jobs, if more unemployed people applied for jobs there would be less unemployment. The existence of job vacancies means there are jobs which are not being filled. I don't get the point you were trying to make.
Original post by YNM96
But that's not the case is it. Because of the fact that all unemployed people do not apply for jobs, if more unemployed people applied for jobs there would be less unemployment. The existence of job vacancies means there are jobs which are not being filled. I don't get the point you were trying to make.

My point is that there are more unemployed people than job vacancies. Even if every single one of those people applied for those jobs, there still would be a surplus of people for those roles and thus a number of them would be left unemployed, regardless of if they had applied to the job.

With regards to my interviews, I interviewed for many positions, some graduate vacancies and some service positions that required no qualifications because I just wanted anything. There were more people interviewing for the service positions. This leads back to my point: If a company has one role and 10 people interview for it, 9 of them are still left unemployed after the company has made its decision.
Reply 87
My point is that there are more unemployed people than job vacancies. Even if every single one of those people applied for those jobs, there still would be a surplus of people for those roles and thus a number of them would be left unemployed, regardless of if they had applied to the job.

With regards to my interviews, I interviewed for many positions, some graduate vacancies and some service positions that required no qualifications because I just wanted anything. There were more people interviewing for the service positions. This leads back to my point: If a company has one role and 10 people interview for it, 9 of them are still left unemployed after the company has made its decision.

And so...What is the significance of this. Why is it necessarily a negative thing. The first paragraph is hypothetical and pointless because in reality every one does not apply for every job available, and I want to regard this issue as realistically as possible. Secondly, why is it bad that 9 people would be left unemployed? Doesn't this encourage efficiency? Those with the greatest skills, the most competent get the jobs, isn't this fair? Rewarding for those who truly are the best? At 16 I wanted a job in summer I applied for two weeks found a job in the service sector, no prior job experience, rubbish CV, and I got the job because I researched a bunch of stuff about the company which I spoke about in the interview. The free market rewards those who are the most prepared, and the most competent, generally.
Haven't read the whole thread but the bit i have read have claimed that there are more people than there are jobs. Whilst this is true they seem to be using this argument to deny that a considerable amount of the unemployed are lazy and workshy.

If you want a job you can get a job. Yes, there are 3.6 people to every job vacancy but how many of that 3.6 actually want the job? once you start to wittle it down then it becomes clear that if you want a job you can get a job.
Original post by YNM96
And so...What is the significance of this. Why is it necessarily a negative thing. The first paragraph is hypothetical and pointless because in reality every one does not apply for every job available, and I want to regard this issue as realistically as possible. Secondly, why is it bad that 9 people would be left unemployed? Doesn't this encourage efficiency? Those with the greatest skills, the most competent get the jobs, isn't this fair? Rewarding for those who truly are the best? At 16 I wanted a job in summer I applied for two weeks found a job in the service sector, no prior job experience, rubbish CV, and I got the job because I researched a bunch of stuff about the company which I spoke about in the interview. The free market rewards those who are the most prepared, and the most competent, generally.

It does promote efficiency and having more competition is not something I have a problem with. It is right that the most competent will get the job.
The point I was trying to make is that it is wrong to demonize people simply because they are unemployed. It is not always somebody's fault that they can't get a job, it is just because there are better candidates than them. I was just trying to point out that a lot of people are unemployed, not because they are lazy and don't want to work, but because there aren't enough jobs to go around.
Original post by AMG44
Just out of sheer boredom, I've been home from University for 1 day and I'm eager to start work. I just don't get how millions of people can sit on their arse all doing nothing to contribute towards society. Then have the nerve to moan they don't get the same opportunities as other.

Well how do you know they all sit on their arse all day. When I was unemployed I went for a run most days and was in the gym several evenings of the week. Went out for drives and did some voluntary work. It was quite fun.

sitting on your arse all day at work in front of a computer sounds more familiar people do too much sitting
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 91
It does promote efficiency and having more competition is not something I have a problem with. It is right that the most competent will get the job.
The point I was trying to make is that it is wrong to demonize people simply because they are unemployed. It is not always somebody's fault that they can't get a job, it is just because there are better candidates than them. I was just trying to point out that a lot of people are unemployed, not because they are lazy and don't want to work, but because there aren't enough jobs to go around.

Fair enough, but wouldn't you agree that if someone strove to enhance their skills to become more competent they would be more likely to find employment, so unemployment is due to a lack of effort to some extent?
Original post by YNM96
Fair enough, but wouldn't you agree that if someone strove to enhance their skills to become more competent they would be more likely to find employment, so unemployment is due to a lack of effort to some extent?

No because there always will be more candidates than there are jobs.
Reply 93
Original post by sherlockfan
No because there always will be more candidates than there are jobs.

I did say "to some extent". So if everyone put as much effort as they could in becoming more competent workers, or more employable in general, there would be less unemploymemt, as they would be more, likely to find a job. BTW how can you assert that there will always be more candidates than jobs?
Original post by YNM96
I did say "to some extent". So if everyone put as much effort as they could in becoming more competent workers, or more employable in general, there would be less unemploymemt, as they would be more, likely to find a job. BTW how can you assert that there will always be more candidates than jobs?

If everyone put as much effort as they could, some candidates will still be picked and others wont.
How can I assert that? Because thats how it is. Or are you going to argue that 2.5 million people are just lazy?
Reply 95
If everyone put as much effort as they could, some candidates will still be picked and others wont.
How can I assert that? Because thats how it is. Or are you going to argue that 2.5 million people are just lazy?

lol. You said "always" so "that's how it is doesn't answer the question".2.5 million unemployed using what measure?
Original post by YNM96
lol. You said "always" so "that's how it is doesn't answer the question".2.5 million unemployed using what measure?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27046681

theres always going to be more people than there are jobs, i dont know how you can even argue the fact. next youll be saying that 2+2=5. unless we were to have another world war...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 97
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27046681

theres always going to be more people than there are jobs, i dont know how you can even argue the fact. next youll be saying that 2+2=5. unless we were to have another world war...

One, when you make an assertion you provide the evidence/basis for your argument you don't redirect me to it. Secondly 2.2 not 2.5 million unemployed based on ONS which measures those actively looking for employment, so yes there could be some unemployment due to indolence to some extent. Thirdly, this article doesn't prove why there will "always" be more applicants than vacancies.
Original post by YNM96
One, when you make an assertion you provide the evidence/basis for your argument you don't redirect me to it. Secondly 2.2 not 2.5 million unemployed based on ONS which measures those actively looking for employment, so yes there could be some unemployment due to indolence to some extent. Thirdly, this article doesn't prove why there will "always" be more applicants than vacancies.

one, dont be so condescending to other people. two, you know i am right. thirdly, you asked for evidence and i gave it to you.
can you prove to me that there will come a time when there will be a vacancy for every member of the british population? because thats what you seem to be saying.
and i'm not denying that there are people out there who are lazy, but the vast majority of the unemployed have just had bad luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by YNM96
Thirdly, this article doesn't prove why there will "always" be more applicants than vacancies.

It's basic economics.

We live in a post-industrial, knowledge based economy. No longer is our economy dominated by labour intensive primary and secondary industries.

Quick Reply

Latest