The Student Room Group

OCR D1 (10th June) Discussion

Scroll to see replies

hey dont worry about it im pretty sure they will accept both in my opinion since you ended up interchanging between both values and as long as the methodology is good i see no reason to be penalised
Reply 381
I saw that someone already posted an unofficial mark scheme. What is the page and post number please?
Original post by Mrs V
I saw that someone already posted an unofficial mark scheme. What is the page and post number please?

Page 16.

and what is your personal opinion on difficulty/boundaries/100UMS?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mrs V

Here it is again:

Unofficial Mark Scheme:

Spoiler

Some answers are given in detail in older posts.
Reply 384
Can't really add much to the great solutions already posted, but can provide you with marks for each Qn here. Sorry don't know how to do the spoiler thing.

1 Van packing
i) see last post (3marks)
ii) Van 1 250 250 100, Van 2 200 200 150, Van 3 150, 120, 120, 120 Van 4 120 (4 marks)
iii) see last post (2 marks)

2 Graph theory
ia) see last post, with graph drawn orders 2,2,3,3 (3 marks)
ib) sum of vertices = 10, min order 1(for connected), max order 3(for simple)
possibilities that fit these criteria are 3,3,3,1 or 3,3,2,2.
3,3,3,1 doesn't work because to be simple each of the arcs of order 3 must connect to every other node, so cannot have node of order 1 (5 marks)

ii) 5 graphs drawn (see post 290) (3marks)

3 Sum of squares algorithm
i) 4 runs through algorithm, print 4,22 (4 marks)
ii) 2 runs through algorithm, print FAIL (2 marks)
iii)so -ve sqrt doesn't occur and create error (to stop algorithm may also be credited) (1 mark)
iv) 0.7 x rt4 = 1.4s (2 marks)

4 treasure trail
i) B200m C100m D600m E300m F400m G800m H700m correct temporary labels should be shown on graph with no extras (5marks)
ii) odd nodes are A and G, repeat AG 800m, total = 4200m+800m = 5000m (3 marks)
iii) A-C-B-E-H (1 mark)
iv)need to make G even and H odd, repeat GH 100m, total = 4200m+100m = 4300m (2 marks)

5 treasure trail again
ia) G-H-F-E-B-C-A-D-G (must return to G) = 2000m (3marks)
ib) A-D-G-H-F-E-B-C-A (must return to A, could be reversed) (1 mark)
ii) AC, CB, BE, EF, FD, FH, HG (must show order in which arcs added) = 1000m (3marks)
iiia) remove FH,GH, add DG = 1000m (1 mark)
iiib) tour improvement algorithm gives routes given in last post 5vi. It is possible that there are others but I don't think so. (2 marks)
v) see 5vii from last post (2 marks)
vi) see 5viii from last post, (2 marks)

6 Sandie tanning lotions (!)
i) see last post (2marks)
ii) see last post (2 marks)
iii) 2a+4b+c<=176, 5a+b+3c<=180 (2 marks)
iv) £8 profit per bottle of amber (1 mark)
v) pivot on column a, Row 5; include operations for how each row calculated ( 5 marks)
vi) no negatives in objective row (1 mark)
vii) see last post (4 marks)
viii) 9x1 +35x0.8 = 37litres (1 mark)

In summary, IMO this is a 'safe' paper with all marks accessible, but not particularly any easier in terms of content. The fact that the questions are clear and straightforward means that the marking criteria will be kept tight, but it shouldn't have any effect on grade boundaries.

Most students will probably lose some marks in Q2b through poor communication of what they mean and also may have struggled to find all 5 graphs - many students just miss out this type of Qn altogether.
Similarly, although you might have found Q3 easy, I'm expecting quite a few abandoned attempts.
Lots of students bodge Djikstra's and the mark scheme is always tight on the working being shown. As these forum discussions show, the x100 will have caught out many students, but I wouldn't expect this to be heavily penalised - just 1 or maybe 2 marks total loss. Simplex is usually a mess and takes hours to mark, although this seemed nicer than some we've had. Many students just don't understand the structure and importance of the basic columns.
From what I've read on here, you lot sound like you've got great grades in the bag! D2 here we come!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mrs V
Can't really add much to the great solutions already posted, but can provide you with marks for each Qn here. Sorry don't know how to do the spoiler thing.

1 Van packing
i) see last post (3marks)
ii) Van 1 250 250 100, Van 2 200 200 150, Van 3 150, 120, 120, 120 Van 4 120 (4 marks)
iii) see last post (2 marks)

2 Graph theory
ia) see last post, with graph drawn orders 2,2,3,3 (3 marks)
ib) sum of vertices = 10, min order 1(for connected), max order 3(for simple)
possibilities that fit these criteria are 3,3,3,1 or 3,3,2,2.
3,3,3,1 doesn't work because to be simple each of the arcs of order 3 must connect to every other node, so cannot have node of order 1 (5 marks)

ii) 5 graphs drawn (see post 290) (3marks)

3 Sum of squares algorithm
i) 4 runs through algorithm, print 4,22 (4 marks)
ii) 2 runs through algorithm, print FAIL (2 marks)
iii)so -ve sqrt doesn't occur and create error (to stop algorithm may also be credited) (1 mark)
iv) 0.7 x rt4 = 1.4s (2 marks)

4 treasure trail
i) B200m C100m D600m E300m F400m G800m H700m correct temporary labels should be shown on graph with no extras (5marks)
ii) odd nodes are A and G, repeat AG 800m, total = 4200m+800m = 5000m (3 marks)
iii) A-C-B-E-H (1 mark)
iv)need to make G even and H odd, repeat GH 100m, total = 4200m+100m = 4300m (2 marks)

5 treasure trail again
ia) G-H-F-E-B-C-A-D-G (must return to G) = 2000m (3marks)
ib) A-D-G-H-F-E-B-C-A (must return to A, could be reversed) (1 mark)
ii) AC, CB, BE, EF, FD, FH, HG (must show order in which arcs added) = 1000m (3marks)
iiia) remove FH,GH, add DG = 1000m (1 mark)
iiib) tour improvement algorithm gives routes given in last post 5vi. It is possible that there are others but I don't think so. (2 marks)
v) see 5vii from last post (2 marks)
vi) see 5viii from last post, (2 marks)

6 Sandie tanning lotions (!)
i) see last post (2marks)
ii) see last post (2 marks)
iii) 2a+4b+c<=176, 5a+b+3c<=180 (2 marks)
iv) £8 profit per bottle of amber (1 mark)
v) pivot on column a, Row 5; include operations for how each row calculated ( 5 marks)
vi) no negatives in objective row (1 mark)
vii) see last post (4 marks)
viii) 9x1 +35x0.8 = 37litres (1 mark)

In summary, IMO this is a 'safe' paper with all marks accessible, but not particularly any easier in terms of content. The fact that the questions are clear and straightforward means that the marking criteria will be kept tight, but it shouldn't have any effect on grade boundaries.

Most students will probably lose some marks in Q2b through poor communication of what they mean and also may have struggled to find all 5 graphs - many students just miss out this type of Qn altogether.
Similarly, although you might have found Q3 easy, I'm expecting quite a few abandoned attempts.
Lots of students bodge Djikstra's and the mark scheme is always tight on the working being shown. As these forum discussions show, the x100 will have caught out many students, but I wouldn't expect this to be heavily penalised - just 1 or maybe 2 marks total loss. Simplex is usually a mess and takes hours to mark, although this seemed nicer than some we've had. Many students just don't understand the structure and importance of the basic columns.
From what I've read on here, you lot sound like you've got great grades in the bag! D2 here we come!!

For the graph theory question, I have slightly different reasoning to you, however, I personally don't see what mine lacks, so will you GUESS/JUDGE, if mine is LIKELY to be accepted as 5 marks, or equivalent to yours?

"1) 5 arcs, therefore total order of 10.
2) We could have 4+2+2+2, but this would result in the graph not being simple, as one node is either directly connected to itself, or connected to another more than once.
3) Hence the maximum order of any node is 3.
4) This node then connects to the other 3, giving orders 3+1+1+1=6, so we have 3 arcs so far.
5) We add an arc joining two of the nodes of order 1, as we cannot add anything to the order of 3; giving us 3+2+2+1=8.
6) Finally, we must join an order of 2 with an order of 1 - we cannot join the order of 2's together because it would result in the graph not being simple, hence the only possible orders are 3+3+2+2=10. "

Also, for question 6i, this is the only mistake I made on the paper, I had a stupid moment and wrote each variable = 0.1L of whatever in order to fit the constraint. So when it said show this constraint, would I still get the method mark for doing it because they are my variables? As obviously 400*0.1=40L etc. And on the following question I also got the correct inequality but due to me defining the variables slightly differently, would I lose the method mark? Or would it be carried forward from my part (i).

In other words: would you predict I would lose 1 mark or 3?

I'm sorry to ask so much, just you know how it can be after an exam! So are you expecting a fairly average grade boundary of an A being approx. 55?
Reply 386
Original post by DomStaff
For the graph theory question, I have slightly different reasoning to you, however, I personally don't see what mine lacks, so will you GUESS/JUDGE, if mine is LIKELY to be accepted as 5 marks, or equivalent to yours?

"1) 5 arcs, therefore total order of 10.
2) We could have 4+2+2+2, but this would result in the graph not being simple, as one node is either directly connected to itself, or connected to another more than once.
3) Hence the maximum order of any node is 3.
4) This node then connects to the other 3, giving orders 3+1+1+1=6, so we have 3 arcs so far.
5) We add an arc joining two of the nodes of order 1, as we cannot add anything to the order of 3; giving us 3+2+2+1=8.
6) Finally, we must join an order of 2 with an order of 1 - we cannot join the order of 2's together because it would result in the graph not being simple, hence the only possible orders are 3+3+2+2=10. "

Also, for question 6i, this is the only mistake I made on the paper, I had a stupid moment and wrote each variable = 0.1L of whatever in order to fit the constraint. So when it said show this constraint, would I still get the method mark for doing it because they are my variables? As obviously 400*0.1=40L etc. And on the following question I also got the correct inequality but due to me defining the variables slightly differently, would I lose the method mark? Or would it be carried forward from my part (i).

In other words: would you predict I would lose 1 mark or 3?

I'm sorry to ask so much, just you know how it can be after an exam! So are you expecting a fairly average grade boundary of an A being approx. 55?

The questions that you are asking are the fine details that will be dealt with by the chief examiners and these decisions won't have been made yet! Therefore I can legitimately give you my best guesses. I guess definitely 4, possibly 5 for your graph theory as you have implied minimum order 1 for connectivity and clearly know what you are talking about (always good for a BOD mark!). For 6i, I think you might get 1 mark if you have clearly defined your variables. Using your variables and logic for part b would still give 2b+5c<=70 wouldn't it? Any multiple of this constraint should be fine also.

As for a boundary mark, absolutely no idea, but I repeat my earlier comments, I don't think that the content of this exam was significantly easier than previous series.
Original post by Mrs V
The questions that you are asking are the fine details that will be dealt with by the chief examiners and these decisions won't have been made yet! Therefore I can legitimately give you my best guesses. I guess definitely 4, possibly 5 for your graph theory as you have implied minimum order 1 for connectivity and clearly know what you are talking about (always good for a BOD mark!). For 6i, I think you might get 1 mark if you have clearly defined your variables. Using your variables and logic for part b would still give 2b+5c<=70 wouldn't it? Any multiple of this constraint should be fine also.

As for a boundary mark, absolutely no idea, but I repeat my earlier comments, I don't think that the content of this exam was significantly easier than previous series.

Oh yes I got the constraint in part ii correct but it was worth 2 marks (method + answer), so I'm wondering whether I would lose a mark for having the variables defined wrongly? Or if I could get both as ECF?

Edit: I will elaborate for clarification:
As I said I wrongly defined the variables as 0.1L of whatever
So for part ii, it was pretty simple for me to just straight put 2b+5c <=70; instead of 0.2b + 0.5c <=7 and then multiplying by 10. So do you think I would lose or keep the method mark?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 388
Oh yes I got the constraint in part ii correct but it was worth 2 marks (method + answer), so I'm wondering whether I would lose a mark for having the variables defined wrongly? Or if I could get both as ECF?

Edit: I will elaborate for clarification:
As I said I wrongly defined the variables as 0.1L of whatever
So for part ii, it was pretty simple for me to just straight put 2b+5c <=70; instead of 0.2b + 0.5c <=7 and then multiplying by 10. So do you think I would lose or keep the method mark?

No ECF. You got the correct answer, you will get 2 marks.
Original post by Mrs V
No ECF. You got the correct answer, you will get 2 marks.

Oh really? So correct answer from the wrong method (due to having the wrong variables) always gets full marks? That is interesting to know!
Reply 390
Oh really? So correct answer from the wrong method (due to having the wrong variables) always gets full marks? That is interesting to know!

Not exactly, you're working is not 'wrong' as you defined the variables and used them consistently to get a correct answer.

As a general point for your other OCR maths modules, seeing as you have asked the question, watch out for www in a mark scheme, means full marks can only be awarded without wrong working.
And to preempt your next questions, Yes full marks MAY be awarded for correct answers without any working at all; it really depends on the design of the question. However, I can also confirm what your teachers have probably told you, an accuracy mark (A1) WILL NOT be awarded without all of the preceding method marks (M1). (This rule is used when part marks are being awarded for a question).
For D1 specifically, you generally DO need to show all methods as it is the use of the algorithm that is being tested as well as any results that are generated.
Probably not quite as black and white as you thought; this is why, as teachers, we always encourage you to show all your working!!
Hi Dom Staff do you have a copy of the OCR D1 June 2014 Paper, if not do you remember any of the questions, especially the flow chart one
Reply 392
So 57 for an A!!!!!! Thank you OCR you *******s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending