The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIII

Scroll to see replies

bad flashbacks. still feel anxious and kinda upset. wish he would get off me. horrible
Original post by nohomo
Shop's shut so there's no going back. No alcohol tonight!

Nice man! Trying to give something up atm and i know how freakin hard it can be to not give into cravings...I find making note of times i have said no helps me to stay focused

Original post by i-love-coffee
Does anyone else just sometimes feel trapped in life?

Yeah, but we also hold the key to unlocking that prison we can get stuck in, it can just take a while to find it, so to speak :tongue:

Original post by ScaryScience
bad flashbacks. still feel anxious and kinda upset. wish he would get off me. horrible

You never have much luck with flashback stuff do ya :console: :hugs: Do you having coping mechanisms to help you deal with them?
Original post by + polarity -
I remember now. I have been sleeping too much lately and I don't like it because I think it might be a trigger for my migraines. The fact that I get migraines which ruin the whole day for me has not been enough of a reason to not stay in bed for ages it seems, and even though my alarm is difficult to turn off (I have to do at least 3 sums) I just turn it off and fall asleep again. Maybe it's because things don't seem important; sure, I have a to-do list, and a to-listen-to list, but atm they're not very important to me, and I certainly haven't checked my to-do list recently...

Those of you who can relate, what did you do to remedy this? What can I do?

Too much sleep is a bad thing, so even though sleeping things off can help, it can also be death by duvet, as someone put it to me recently. For me, routine helped a lot initially, going to sleep at regular times, eating at regular times, making sure i wash regularly, all that normal stuff.

After that i would say more time outside, even if you just start with 10 minute walks, doesn't have to be anywhere, it helps to not be stuck in a confined space with your thoughts :smile: I also cannot stress enough how important it is to have contact time with others; friends, family, and new people. As human beings we need that social interaction, even if your head is telling you its all scary and dangerous (when it isn't). Your motivation is unlikely come out of nowhere, but it will build up gradually.

I can go into some more stuff, but i'd rather hear what you have to say first :tongue: Any of this helpful?
Original post by Meaty_man
Nice man! Trying to give something up atm and i know how freakin hard it can be to not give into cravings...I find making note of times i have said no helps me to stay focused

Yeah, but we also hold the key to unlocking that prison we can get stuck in, it can just take a while to find it, so to speak :tongue:

You never have much luck with flashback stuff do ya :console: :hugs: Do you having coping mechanisms to help you deal with them?

have a few but they hardly ever work
Original post by i-love-coffee
Does anyone else just sometimes feel trapped in life?

I do. :frown:
[QUOTE=purple-duck;48481163
Glad you got sleep :redface: :frown: though. Going out with friends sounds perfect :yes: :smile: Have fun! Not too great :s-smilie: Might get outside in a bit. Not sure it'll help mood at all, but mweh, sometimes going outside when bleh's just sort of nice. :dontknow: :redface:
t

It really was and it cheered me up, thanks! :') Aw no, are you feeling any better? :console: Going for walks and stuff helps, I feel much better when I go outside rather than stay cooped up in the house :yep: Did it help in the end? :3
Things would be so much easier if my parents knew about my mh issues.. I wish I could tell them; then they'd understand that my exams weren't fails, they were deferred, and it wasn't because I was being lazy :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
Things would be so much easier if my parents knew about my mh issues.. I wish I could tell them; then they'd understand that my exams weren't fails, they were deferred, and it wasn't because I was being lazy :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is it you can't tell them, you don't want to or?
Original post by Meaty_man
Why is it you can't tell them, you don't want to or?

We don't talk about stuff like that in our family, my dad isn't very understanding, and my mum has been on antidepressants for years and I think has some form of anxiety, but it's just not discussed.

I don't tell them because when I was 15 and I was really bad with anxiety, depression and paranoia my mum got really freaked out and upset and worried about me and I can't do that to her again. Even though I'm not that bad now and I can handle things, she'd still worry and that would make her health worse :sadnod:

Though with my resits coming up, I'm feeling more and more that I might have to tell them, if I don't pass 4 exams in August then I've got to either resit the year or take a year out to sort my health out and I'd have to tell them :frown:

Feel like such a failure at uni :frown:

Sorry for the long post :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
We don't talk about stuff like that in our family, my dad isn't very understanding, and my mum has been on antidepressants for years and I think has some form of anxiety, but it's just not discussed.

I don't tell them because when I was 15 and I was really bad with anxiety, depression and paranoia my mum got really freaked out and upset and worried about me and I can't do that to her again. Even though I'm not that bad now and I can handle things, she'd still worry and that would make her health worse :sadnod:

Though with my resits coming up, I'm feeling more and more that I might have to tell them, if I don't pass 4 exams in August then I've got to either resit the year or take a year out to sort my health out and I'd have to tell them :frown:

Feel like such a failure at uni :frown:

Sorry for the long post :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sounds like a different scenario for you than it was for me, but i still think it would be a big weight off your shoulders to tell them.

You say you will worry your mum, but she will find out sooner or later, people can't hide these things forever, no matter how good you are at it :hugs: Better you tell her yourself then have her find out, and potentially get angry that you didn't tell her earlier.

Since i told my dad about my depression, and in turn him telling me about his, we've got on a lot better than we did before. We also try to help each other out, recommend things we've tried, things that did work and didn't work, and such. You and your mum could help each other out right?

I know there's still this old fashioned way of things that a lot of families still have, where the dad is supposed to be stone faced all the time and the mum is the loving one, but i don't think it works in today's society, people are a lot more open about all kinds of things, and keeping these kinda things hidden makes things harder on yourself, since your family can be amazing for support when you need it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by + polarity -
The first paragraph I liked. Soon after I read it my mum suggested that maybe all my issues (no :colonhash:) are a result of a lack of self-discipline, and obviously I said no because I came out to have a good time and I'm honestly feeling so attacked right now, but having thought about it, I have virtually no self-discipline. I take maybe a couple of things seriously, but anything else... this is such a long sentence, sorry. Even after I get out of bed, I just sort of do nothing lol. I'm not sure if this is a cause or effect of things not feeling important but I'll probably work through that at some point. (That said, I have something important that I should be doing that I haven't started yet, oops) So I suppose I should set myself a bed time, but the night is so serene :moon:

The second paragraph made me recoil because my dad has said pretty much exactly the same thing ha. I've sat in the conservatory a little but that's hardly the same as outside, but I suppose I could ride my bike somewhere if I get out of my pyjamas before it gets dark :redface: and social interaction :indiff: I talk to my parents, that about it right now. I haven't attempted to contact any of my 'friends' here since I came home. It seems I did the same last summer too. I think I mentioned in a thread that I made (it's gone now) that I felt like I should meet new people but I don't see how I can when I am "like this", so yeah

You don't need to feel so sorry, it's not like you wanted all this crap :hugs:

I know when you're feeling low and nothing gives you much(if any) joy, that it's difficult to drive yourself. Stupidly our brains seem to think isolating ourselves completely from everything is a good idea when we are in the depths of despair...it will keep telling you that, our brains can be real scumbags. :shakecane:

I've done similar/the same in regards to not getting in contact with friends, again its that isolation thing, your brain wants you to just avoid everything, but that will make things worse.

Planning things and setting goals on a daily basis has helped me a lot, because it gives you a sense of achievement and control. This may sound trivial, but constantly setting yourself short term goals (perhaps as part of a larger plan) helps you see your own achievements and progress, something that's very easy to overlook when we're down in the dumps :penguinhug:

Haha, my parents always used to say the same :tongue: Don't underestimate time out the house, as scary as it is, it can really lift your mood and confidence. I've put off relationships for years because i think i'm an absloute mess, hopefully i will change that soon :|
I detest myself
Knew yesterday's good mood wouldn't last. Woke up stressed to the hilt about every aspect of these resits :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
blehh, feeling icky. but am meeting up with old school friends today so that should be nice :h:

sorry bout not being round much lately, not been feeling amazing, but i'm gonna try and keep in touch a bit more :colondollar:
Knew yesterday's good mood wouldn't last. Woke up stressed to the hilt about every aspect of these resits :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs:

Today is turning out to be a day of doing lots of scary things ><

Posted from TSR Mobile

:jumphug: You can do it!

Original post by rmhumphries
:hugs:

Today is turning out to be a day of doing lots of scary things ><

:hugs: You can do it too, cos you're brave and wonderful and scary like a tiger. :tongue:
Of back home this evening :smile: excited because i get away from my step dad, pretty sure hes now only talking to me when he HAS to :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have tried to get help for my depression and I am getting nowhere. I am trying my hardest to stay well but no one seems to care or bother. I spoken to my dr, shrink, mental health workers and no one seems to help me.
I do try like every day to get better but nothing is working. Things work for a short term like a few days and the don't work again.

Nightworld1066
Just had to call the police on a suicidal distressed homeless man in the street :frown: So triggering but I know I did the right thing.
Well done good for you

Nightworld1066

Latest