The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi! I know I say this every time I post but this time it has genuinely been a long time since I last posted here :tongue:

Quick catch up: Stopped taking my meds in April and was almost readmitted to the same unit I spent 4 months in in 2012 :hehe:. Eventually got my psychiatrist to understand that I didn't want any more meds and as my CPN left he discharged me completely medication free last month (Woo!)

Been struggling and impulsive these past two weeks or so but nowhere near as bad as I used to be I don't think. I'm supposedly starting uni in September providing I get the grades and it's two and a half hours away from home. Does anybody have any tips MH-wise for starting and staying at uni? Any advice would be great!

The only advice I could give for uni purposes is that if you're not able to be 100%, you should take the medication WHILE you get used to being at Uni and a changed schedule and probably not come off them until you've finished.

I know how you feel in that you don't want to be on the meds anymore as it can feel like you're relying on them but it depends what is more important to you. You don't want to drop out when the stress becomes high in Uni, that's for sure.
Original post by titchyyyy
The only advice I could give for uni purposes is that if you're not able to be 100%, you should take the medication WHILE you get used to being at Uni and a changed schedule and probably not come off them until you've finished.

I know how you feel in that you don't want to be on the meds anymore as it can feel like you're relying on them but it depends what is more important to you. You don't want to drop out when the stress becomes high in Uni, that's for sure.

I stopped taking them back in April and I'm doing reasonably well apart from a few occasions so I'm not too sure about starting them again.

Thanks though, obviously if things get worse at uni then I'll register with a GP and speak to them :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #2
I stopped taking them back in April and I'm doing reasonably well apart from a few occasions so I'm not too sure about starting them again.

Thanks though, obviously if things get worse at uni then I'll register with a GP and speak to them :smile:

That's really good to hear! I'm glad to hear you got off them :smile: But don't be afraid to ever go back on them if you need even the little tiniest bit of help, they don't harm you! I've known people to be on them for 20+ years and come off them whenever they like.
Original post by titchyyyy
That's really good to hear! I'm glad to hear you got off them :smile: But don't be afraid to ever go back on them if you need even the little tiniest bit of help, they don't harm you! I've known people to be on them for 20+ years and come off them whenever they like.

Yeah course, they've helped me come out of what I was going through and now seems a good time to see if can go by myself for a while :smile: Like you said, if I do get worse then I'll talk to somebody about starting on them again - there's absolutely nothing wrong with needing a bit of help, whether it be in the form of a tablet or somebody to speak to :smile:
Original post by james1211
Hmm, i always feel like an outsider. I rarely feel as connected to my friends as i think they do with each other, even though i've known them over ten years and we're best friends. I still feel a bit of an outsider. Maybe its some psychological thing?

Congratulations on your new job by the way :hugs:. I missed your first post about it then when i saw i'd subsequently made a post on here and not mentioned it to you, i felt bad and was nervous to say well done for some reason. You really deserve the job! Hope it works out well for you :smile:

She's actually in Scotland today for the commonwealth games. I won't see her until after work tomorrow but we plan to spend a few hours together. She's talked to me over Whatsapp and made me feel a lot better about getting my uni work done (overwhelmed at the minute :frown: ).

Thank you :hugs: I'm rather excited about it even though it's just a job in a supermarket haha. It's part of my 'get my life back on track' plan :yep:

Oh right, what events is she seeing? My brother was at the rugby final on Sunday :smile: that's good that you can still keep in contact with her and then see her in person tomorrow :smile:

I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed with uni stuff, have you got a personal tutor or someone who could help? If it's any consolation you can't be doing worse at uni than me :lol:

Original post by purple-duck
Was feeling okay-ish today, did some clearing round the garden (there's a massive corner of compost/rubbish in the new house's garden, and we hired a skip to clear it out :eek:) so I think physical work stuff sort of helped. Then just after tea like 7 o'clock have just dropped mood :frown: Now it's even later so things just slowly getting more bleh :s-smilie: Might get sleep soon, really tired :s-smilie: :redface:

Still not sure what to do for this summer :s-smilie: noticed in the co-op down the road that they still have a sign up for summer jobs - so might try and pop by/ask about that tomorrow or something.

Otherwise tempted to do some sort of backpacking? I'm not sure whether to properly plan it or just take a backpack, tent, food/sleeping bag and just start walking somewhere/camp wherever :redface: But I guess planning's probably better :colondollar: I suppose if I went to a national park then you can just camp anywhere? (I think?) It's only some of them/in certain places - or in scotland it's practically anywhere :eek: but then that's expensive for travel up there... (though I've never been yet :eek: sort of really want to) Anyway... :colondollar:

Scotland is nice :yep: if you're ever in the Aberdeen area and need a place to stay I now have a flat :smile: don't think I could manage a tent in the living room though :tongue:

Spoiler

:woo: Well done!!! :smile:

Thanks :redface: Oh and I meant to say congrats on 40k!! :gah:
Also sorry about voices and psychiatrist appointment stuff (was it psychiatrist? I'm sorry I've lost the post :s-smilie:) Sending :hugs:

:fight:

:shakecane: I hope you got sleep okay last night? :hugs: Sorry I went off :s-smilie:

:hugs:

Completely empathise this :s-smilie: Was thinking earlier today about it, particularly with this long Uni-summer - haven't done anything worthwhile or fun, not even made money/got experience/worked :s-smilie: I guess not everyone has a super fun exciting time in their youth? I sort of feel as though I should though :frown: And it's probably just me stopping it happening - I'm just too scared to do anything too adventurous though, though thinking through some possible ideas for next month... Sorry. Ramble there.

:jumphug: No you're not! :hugs: You're struggling too, by the sounds of things :redface: They wouldn't want you writing cards until you're able to/in a mood to - It's the thought that counts, after all :smile: Not true at all :nah: They sound as though they're lucky to have you :smile: Not lazy either - you're ill, and everything just gets a lot more difficult then :s-smilie:
I hope you feel better soon :hugs:

Found this with my group of friends too :redface: Party as they go on holidays together/have their own small friend groups outside of ours, and/or have girlfriends and things, plus the not clubbing/drinking thing means we don't have so much in common any more, sort of. :dontknow:
I think with depression it can often make you feel more like an outsider? Though I don't know :s-smilie: Think I felt similar tbh at events/with friends even before MH stuff came along last year.

Hope you have a good time seeing her - I'm sorry you're not doing so well right now :frown: :console:

Thanks :smile: can't wait to start, I enjoy working in a job that I get contact with customers in, there's a part of me the really enjoys being helpful and of use to someone :smile:

Original post by IDukem
That sounds like a great idea! :h: Listen to your podcast and eat a cookie or something haha or have watermelon!! I loooooove watermelon. Ahhh you don't need to say any more about the last time you had alcohol :teehee: I haven't drank alcohol since January 1st! I'm quite chuffed about that :redface:

Spoiler

I found a fiver on the ground on the way home so I bought myself some strawberry milk (my favourite) and some muffins to share with my flatmate :yep: today has been the first really good day I've had in a long time :redface:

I actually want to stop drinking but it's the only way I can face talking to folk I don't know well in a bar situation
:jumphug: No you're not! :hugs: You're struggling too, by the sounds of things :redface: They wouldn't want you writing cards until you're able to/in a mood to - It's the thought that counts, after all :smile: Not true at all :nah: They sound as though they're lucky to have you :smile: Not lazy either - you're ill, and everything just gets a lot more difficult then :s-smilie:
I hope you feel better soon :hugs:
]

:jumphug:

Nightimes are hell at the moment. :cry2:

Realise this is a bit late :redface: I know that at Uni we had one running/run by students in term 2, but I only found out about it at the end of that term/once it had stopped - I'd say it can't hurt to give it a try? :redface:
Was mostly just replying to say hey :redface: Hope your holiday-ing is going okay! Was it america you were going?

Yeah, I'm in America. I was doing summer camp work, but just had my contract end early cos I was crap at the job :frown:. So I'm a bit sad about that, but oh well, I'm gonna just go off travelling in the US and have a bit of a vacation before I return home :smile:.
Can't sleep, feel like such a waste of space. :cry2:
feel so out of sorts, everything seems wrong, I feel incredibly vulnerable, like anything could set me off or trigger me.

want to do something with my life but I don't what or how.

sometimes I just want to run away from everything, run away from life, run away from me, run away from the world even.

just I dunno, sometimes I wonder if this is who I am & who I am meant to be, I just don't know, nothing seems certain to me anymore :s-smilie:
Off to take the aunt to Oxford :erm: Nervous as hell. Wish me luck, peeps! :eek3: :erm: :emo:

Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Yeah, I'm in America. I was doing summer camp work, but just had my contract end early cos I was crap at the job :frown:. So I'm a bit sad about that, but oh well, I'm gonna just go off travelling in the US and have a bit of a vacation before I return home :smile:.

Big hugs :hugs:

Original post by IDukem
Nu-uh, oh no you don't, you've been an inspiration to all of us here in MHSS! You always have and I can hazard a guess you that you will always will be :yep: We love you here and therefore you're not failing or a failure at life, in fact I'd say you're quite opposite :biggrin:
These things happen, your friends will/should understand :smile:

Have all these hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

:colondollar:

Thanks hun :o: My friend was very understanding, luckily :colondollar:

Original post by tasha96
Such a ****ty person. :cry2: I was supposed to write cards for two friends who are struggling and instead Ive been curled up crying. Such an effing ****ty friend. :frown: They'd be a heck of a lot better off without me and I hate being this lazy and unprepared. :cry2:

Oh hun. Not a ****ty person AT ALL. You're ill. Big difference between the two! :jumphug:
sleep is f***ed
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Off to take the aunt to Oxford :erm: Nervous as hell. Wish me luck, peeps! :eek3: :erm: :emo:

:hugs: have fun sweetie (or as much fun as you can have :tongue:)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
Thank you :hugs: I'm rather excited about it even though it's just a job in a supermarket haha. It's part of my 'get my life back on track' plan :yep:

Oh right, what events is she seeing? My brother was at the rugby final on Sunday :smile: that's good that you can still keep in contact with her and then see her in person tomorrow :smile:

I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed with uni stuff, have you got a personal tutor or someone who could help? If it's any consolation you can't be doing worse at uni than me :lol:

New jobs are exciting! I kind of wish i had a job in a supermarket, it would be far less stressful than my job :redface: Sounds like your plan is working :yep:

She was seeing the rythmic and artistic gymnastics, apparently we did really well! I'll see her this evening just to go shopping as i need clothes for a wedding this weekend i'm going to with her.

My tutor knows about it, suggested student wellbeing service which i still need to go see, she gave me a huge extension on my placement project which i still need to do but i'm just stressing out so hard about it all :frown: i don't think uni was for me, i'd rather have done a higher apprenticeship and gone into a job at the end with no debt and a head start. I'm just better at hands on stuff. I'm sure we'll find what's right for us at the end of uni even if it isn't what we intended to do, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses :hugs:
Completely empathise this :s-smilie: Was thinking earlier today about it, particularly with this long Uni-summer - haven't done anything worthwhile or fun, not even made money/got experience/worked :s-smilie: I guess not everyone has a super fun exciting time in their youth? I sort of feel as though I should though :frown: And it's probably just me stopping it happening - I'm just too scared to do anything too adventurous though, though thinking through some possible ideas for next month... Sorry. Ramble there.

Found this with my group of friends too :redface: Party as they go on holidays together/have their own small friend groups outside of ours, and/or have girlfriends and things, plus the not clubbing/drinking thing means we don't have so much in common any more, sort of. :dontknow:
I think with depression it can often make you feel more like an outsider? Though I don't know :s-smilie: Think I felt similar tbh at events/with friends even before MH stuff came along last year.

A book that i'm reading that ScaryScience reccommended to me goes over this in depth, it says it's a myth that we're supposed to be (and even capable of being) happy all the time. I think we tend to see others around us as being happier than us and living more satisfactory lives than us when really we're always searching for something more fulfilling which is a destructive way of thinking.
:hi:
Original post by superwolf

we missed you :tongue:
Original post by superwolf

Hello :h:
Original post by Team_McDreamy
we missed you :tongue:

:jumphug: Missed you too!

Hello gorgeous. :lovehug:

Original post by james1211
Hello :h:

Hi there lovely. :h:
I've suffered with depression for around 5 years now but the past two weeks or so I've hit the lowest point I've ever hit and it's time I got some help.

I'm in focus mode and making plans to get my life on track again.

Today I've got a shower, made myself smell nice, changed my bed sheets and tidied my room. These seem small but they're huge accomplishments for me as for the past few days or so I've not moved from my bed or changed unless for food or toilet because I've just been really down.

I've made a list of things I need to do for the rest of the day and I'm going to make sure I do them. One of them is make a doctors appointment and actually go to it. This is to see what help I can get to make myself "better" as such.

Sorry for the drone on I just needed somewhere to write this.

Latest