The Student Room Group

Sister depressed and complicated family dynamics!

I hope someone can give me some suggestions to help my sister who seems to have developed >moderate depression, which I think came to be as a result of not finding her ideal job, plus a background of complicated family dynamics

She graduated with a bachelors degree from a foreign country, came back to her birthplace (not UK), found a job, but not really the job that is related to her degree. For the few that are related, they demand a good command of the official language there (not English).

Perhaps the disappointment of not getting replies from potential employers, she has become more recluse and
- Recently revealed to have been bullied at secondary school
- her friends get in touch with her but she never gets back to them
- Clinically depressed: low mood, no interest in hobbies, low in energy, ?suicidal ideations - but not taking antidepressants
- recently diagnosed borderline ?ADHD - on meds

This is on a background of weird family dynamics
- herself: very easily aggravated when asked to do things she doesn't want to do (e.g. wash dishes), sometimes childish behaviour...
- Dad always out, ?affair, good fatherly figure when young but not really cared when >teenage age, sister blaming dad for above reason
- Mom: supportive but don't know what to really do....
- and Me: bro-sis fights when young, only recently aware of the bully situation

So far the only third party involved is a counsellor which she is finding helpful but there are times which she won't go because of financial issues. I want to seek family therapy but I wonder if anyone can give me further suggestions and to what each of us in the family can do to help her or ourselves....... thanks!!!!
It happens.

You feel inferior, your job isn't good enough, you think people are judging you on it, you feel worthless, then you feel ashamed of yourself and think you aren't good enough for others anymore.

Then depression hits you and then you are trapped in a vicious cycle.
let me add when you compare yourselves to others, and you feel inferior to them, you feel worthless, you feel embarrassed in comparison to them. ashamed.

then depressed

then you're screwed
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending