The Student Room Group

Mirtazapine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minimarshmallow
Tablet number 9 last night, and still really suffering with tiredness, weakness and dizziness. My dad says I should stop taking them (I'm not going to do that, at least not cold turkey) and go back to the doctor for something different.
Anyone else had constant dizziness?

I did for the first week or so :smile: it will hopefully go away
Reply 21
Tablet number 9 last night, and still really suffering with tiredness, weakness and dizziness. My dad says I should stop taking them (I'm not going to do that, at least not cold turkey) and go back to the doctor for something different.
Anyone else had constant dizziness?

I did & still have! But I think that for the majority of people this wears off after the first 2/3 weeks. Like most meds the 'side affects' generally only last the diet few weeks so I'd say you should give them a go for a while longer, your dr would probably same the same.
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emmamezzo
I did for the first week or so :smile: it will hopefully go away

Got my fingers crossed

Original post by Bexx_xx
I did & still have! But I think that for the majority of people this wears off after the first 2/3 weeks. Like most meds the 'side affects' generally only last the diet few weeks so I'd say you should give them a go for a while longer, your dr would probably same the same.
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, my friend is a pharmacy dispenser and she said the doctor won't do anything till I've taken at least half of the ones he gave me (gave me 28 days) so maybe early next week if it's still unbearable.
Reply 23
I was on Mirtazapine for almost and year and it did nothing but make me worse, the first 2 weeks were awful, they made me extremely drowsy it became hard to wake up in the morning because I would be soo tired. I also had a weird side effect of heart zaps, it would happen at random times but mostly if there was a loud noise, as I said I was on it for almost a year and I'm so glad I'm not on it anymore because it didn't help me in the slightest, it just made my anxiety and depression worse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saaaammm
I was on Mirtazapine for almost and year and it did nothing but make me worse, the first 2 weeks were awful, they made me extremely drowsy it became hard to wake up in the morning because I would be soo tired. I also had a weird side effect of heart zaps, it would happen at random times but mostly if there was a loud noise, as I said I was on it for almost a year and I'm so glad I'm not on it anymore because it didn't help me in the slightest, it just made my anxiety and depression worse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you tell your doctor about these? Did they not change you?
My doctor is keen for me to find what works for me, and beyond the obvious of giving it a shot before giving up any given drug and trying another one, he'll let me change if I'm not feeling it.
Did you tell your doctor about these? Did they not change you?
My doctor is keen for me to find what works for me, and beyond the obvious of giving it a shot before giving up any given drug and trying another one, he'll let me change if I'm not feeling it.

Stick with it! I'm on 45mg of mirtazapine and it's an absolute miracle drug for me after SSRI's didn't work.

At first I had some weird dizzy spells and heavy sedation, but that wore off after the dose went up. The insatiable hunger has also gone now.
Update: At just less than 4 weeks (on Wednesday) I went to see the doctor to tell him that I couldn't handle it anymore. Still getting some side effects, mostly dizzy spells and restless legs, bit of nausea, but my depression and anxiety are a lot worse - had 4 panic attacks in 2 weeks when I'd not had one for like 2 months and am regularly bursting into tears for seemingly no reason. I also almost quit my job like 3 times in a week and was just struggling to hold it together. I've also been sleeping terribly despite the sleepiness side effects, I can't stay asleep to save my blooming life! And that was the main reason for choosing this one.
I couldn't see my usual doctor as he was on holiday, so I saw the other doctor at the surgery and he just upped the dose! So now I'm back in the sedative and hungry stage, with worse restless legs and dizziness and I still feel awful. It's my birthday today and I've already had to re-apply my eye make-up 3 times because I've cried it off.

Doctor went on a big 'If we just keep switching, we end up running out of options, when maybe you didn't give it long enough to start with' speech, I couldn't get a word in edgeways. This is literally the second drug I've tried and if I need to give it 6 weeks before you'll change it, why do you only give me 4 weeks worth on a prescription?

Kind of wanting my old citalopram back now, even if I wasn't doing all that well on that one, it was much better than this!
Reply 27
Update: At just less than 4 weeks (on Wednesday) I went to see the doctor to tell him that I couldn't handle it anymore. Still getting some side effects, mostly dizzy spells and restless legs, bit of nausea, but my depression and anxiety are a lot worse - had 4 panic attacks in 2 weeks when I'd not had one for like 2 months and am regularly bursting into tears for seemingly no reason. I also almost quit my job like 3 times in a week and was just struggling to hold it together. I've also been sleeping terribly despite the sleepiness side effects, I can't stay asleep to save my blooming life! And that was the main reason for choosing this one.
I couldn't see my usual doctor as he was on holiday, so I saw the other doctor at the surgery and he just upped the dose! So now I'm back in the sedative and hungry stage, with worse restless legs and dizziness and I still feel awful. It's my birthday today and I've already had to re-apply my eye make-up 3 times because I've cried it off.

Doctor went on a big 'If we just keep switching, we end up running out of options, when maybe you didn't give it long enough to start with' speech, I couldn't get a word in edgeways. This is literally the second drug I've tried and if I need to give it 6 weeks before you'll change it, why do you only give me 4 weeks worth on a prescription?

Kind of wanting my old citalopram back now, even if I wasn't doing all that well on that one, it was much better than this!

What caused you to switch from citalopram?
Original post by james1211
What caused you to switch from citalopram?

Although I felt the benefit initially, I failed to feel it anymore even with an increased dose. I was also sleeping terribly and felt myself on the brink of panic attacks regularly (although I managed to not them end up full blown with techniques my counselor and I discussed), and I wanted to start an exercise program and some more therapy and all of that stuff other than drugs that can help, but felt so bad I was unable to face thinking about them.
Reply 29
Although I felt the benefit initially, I failed to feel it anymore even with an increased dose. I was also sleeping terribly and felt myself on the brink of panic attacks regularly (although I managed to not them end up full blown with techniques my counselor and I discussed), and I wanted to start an exercise program and some more therapy and all of that stuff other than drugs that can help, but felt so bad I was unable to face thinking about them.

Interesting. I ask because i recently started on 10mg citalopram and felt the effects straight away, but one month on and it seems to have peaked and i can't feel it as much now. I was thinking of asking for an increase in a months time.

Anyway, in any case i think you were right to ask to be switched off mirtazipine, the panic attacks and side effects you mentioned don't seem worthwhile! I never had much side effects starting Cit, just sickness and nausea for a fortnight.
Interesting. I ask because i recently started on 10mg citalopram and felt the effects straight away, but one month on and it seems to have peaked and i can't feel it as much now. I was thinking of asking for an increase in a months time.

Anyway, in any case i think you were right to ask to be switched off mirtazipine, the panic attacks and side effects you mentioned don't seem worthwhile! I never had much side effects starting Cit, just sickness and nausea for a fortnight.

Citalopram seemed like a minor miracle at first. I don't remember any side effects (which isn't to say that they weren't there, just that they weren't memorable enough to remember 11 months later). After about the 4th week I was on my way to a job interview and had my phone stolen and after my dad dropped me off he was certain I was going to fall to pieces and I didn't. I didn't get the job, but me before citalopram probably wouldn't have made it in. Or would have had make up streaming down her face and be talking through sobs.
It was only 2 months ago I thought I wasn't feeling it anymore, and went to ask for an increase, and then when that didn't give me any difference again that he switched me last month. What I wouldn't give to still be like I was 2 months ago when I thought I needed an increase!
Reply 31
Citalopram seemed like a minor miracle at first. I don't remember any side effects (which isn't to say that they weren't there, just that they weren't memorable enough to remember 11 months later). After about the 4th week I was on my way to a job interview and had my phone stolen and after my dad dropped me off he was certain I was going to fall to pieces and I didn't. I didn't get the job, but me before citalopram probably wouldn't have made it in. Or would have had make up streaming down her face and be talking through sobs.
It was only 2 months ago I thought I wasn't feeling it anymore, and went to ask for an increase, and then when that didn't give me any difference again that he switched me last month. What I wouldn't give to still be like I was 2 months ago when I thought I needed an increase!

Do you mind me asking what dose you were on? I'm only on 10mg and feel it could do with being higher.

Is there any reason why you can't go back to cit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you mind me asking what dose you were on? I'm only on 10mg and feel it could do with being higher.

Is there any reason why you can't go back to cit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was on 10, went up to 20.

I don't think there is a reason, I'll just make sure I see my regular doctor next time. Venlaflaxine (effexor) and fluoxetine (prozac) both worked well for my mum, but I'm not sure anti-depressants work that way (like they say normally the contraceptive that worked for your mum will probably work for you, not sure it's the same).
Reply 33
I was on 10, went up to 20.

I don't think there is a reason, I'll just make sure I see my regular doctor next time. Venlaflaxine (effexor) and fluoxetine (prozac) both worked well for my mum, but I'm not sure anti-depressants work that way (like they say normally the contraceptive that worked for your mum will probably work for you, not sure it's the same).

Just I think I might be flatlining on the cit now as I'm falling back to the way I was.

Either way something that tastes nasty and has to be dissolved on the tongue sounds awful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just I think I might be flatlining on the cit now as I'm falling back to the way I was.

Either way something that tastes nasty and has to be dissolved on the tongue sounds awful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe an increase in dose will work for you, see what your doctor thinks. You could always do what I did and at least try it for 1 month.
I spoke to my friend who is a pharmacist and she told me to just swallow it. Might make me burp for a bit, but I can deal with that.
Reply 35
Maybe an increase in dose will work for you, see what your doctor thinks. You could always do what I did and at least try it for 1 month.
I spoke to my friend who is a pharmacist and she told me to just swallow it. Might make me burp for a bit, but I can deal with that.

I'd take burping over an awful taste any day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'mm surprised that some of you have been prescribed doses of just 10mg daily. Sometimes docs will start you on this dose to see how you cope with the new medication, but I don't think 10mg is even in the therapeutic range for anxiety/depression. I would say return to your doctor if you aren't feeling any different after 3-4 weeks because honestly it's probably not actually helping much!

Honestly I would switch docs, he doesn't sound sympathetic to your needs at all. Trust me you've given it long enough. Mirtazapine is well known to be hard to handle for a lot of people. Have you tried anything else apart from citalo and mirtaz? There are lots of other options, don't lose hope yet!
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly I would switch docs, he doesn't sound sympathetic to your needs at all. Trust me you've given it long enough. Mirtazapine is well known to be hard to handle for a lot of people. Have you tried anything else apart from citalo and mirtaz? There are lots of other options, don't lose hope yet!

I didn't see my usual doc. I'll go back and see my usual doc who is incredibly sympathetic, as I've mentioned earlier in the thread.
I haven't tried anything else, which I also mentioned, and I'm also not losing hope either.

Quick Reply

Latest