The Student Room Group

Family Guy/ Seth Macfarlane is racist

Anyone else find Family guy an extremely racist show ?
I dont mind 'racist' jokes, these exist in many cartoons like South Park ect but in all these other shows you can tell it is exactly that, a joke, and clearly the creators of south park don't actually believe in all these racist stereotypes themselves. They are rather making fun of the absurdity of these stereotypes.

In Family guy however you get the feeling that Seth really does believe in these stereotypes. I have never seen a Jewish character portrayed in a good light in that show, and the general vibe i get from its 'jokes' make me quite uncomfortable.

Any thoughts ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vengeance111
I dont mind 'racist' jokes, these exist in many cartoons like South Park ect but in all these other shows you can tell it is exactly that, a joke, and clearly the creators of south park don't actually believe in all these racist stereotypes themselves. They are rather making fun of the absurdity of these stereotypes.

In Family guy however you get the feeling that Seth really does believe in these stereotypes. I have never seen a Jewish character portrayed in a good light in that show, and the general vibe i get from its 'jokes' make me quite uncomfortable.

Any thoughts ?

Seeing as though he made The Cleveland Show, no.

He also doesn't have anything against Jews, it's just a satire, look at Lois (Alex Borstein) for example who is his great friend in real life. Pretty sure she hosted his roast, and she's Jewish.
hmm i get bad vibes from it
If it offends you, don't watch it. Simple
It's called satire. Most jokes are race jokes and ironic witticisms. If he just goes on saying racial slurs or something then maybe. I mean let's no put it passed him he could be racist but they're jokes. Racial jokes = racist.
Oh just SHUT UP!!
family guy is a show that tries to offend everybody - chill out. it's a show that isn't closed minded and scared to say harmless words just because people will moan.
Reply 7
Family Guy is a piece of trash TV anyway, it's all stupid jokes but it's like they drag the jokes through broken glass sometimes.

Can you guess that I avoid watching it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It's (crappy) satire, Seth doesn't genuinely believe in the stereotypes, not sure how you thought he did :s-smilie:
Reply 8
They say that Jews run Hollywood. It's only regarded as picking on a majority to do so in Hollywood.
Reply 9
Oy vey Jews do run Hollywood and Seth MacFarlane is a Communist
Never liked it from the beginning and that was years now. I reckon it IS offensive, but then I don't watch it. I don't have to.
Original post by mazigh
Oy vey Jews do run Hollywood and Seth MacFarlane is a Communist

how is seth macfarlane a communist?
Reply 12
Original post by zippity.doodah
how is seth macfarlane a communist?

I don't know maybe because he supports communism? :rolleyes:
you could argue south park is more offensive, but Id say family guy gives the impression all the negative sterotypes it portrays are true...
btw seth macfarlanes new sitcom has been stopped from contuning after its first episode was too racist
Reply 14
Original post by vengeance111

Any thoughts ?

Yeh, jewish people, black people, left wing, right wing, white people, rich people, poor people, dogs, women, men, disabled, able bodied, sex addicts, aggressive chickens, italians, the irish

Literally no idea how one man can truly believe in so many stereotypes, he must live a warped existence.

Or you do...
Yes he is a racist burn him at the steak now!! PITCH FORKS OUT!! BURN THE WAACiST!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAACISM!!!!!!!!
Have you even seen south park? Family guy isn't even that bad which makes it the perfect cartoon. Nowhere near as offensive as South park and far more rude than the Simpsons. I don't think Seth is racist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Who cares? Its one of the most consistently enjoyable shows that has ever been put on our televisions, you should be grateful! /(..)\

Its also very clever and the things you may find offensive are most likely satirical anyWay. If it was as offensive as people make it out to be, it wouldn't have been picked up for however many dozens of series that have been and wouldnt be one of the highest rated cartoons ever:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swagyolo420
Who cares? Its one of the most consistently enjoyable shows that has ever been put on our televisions, you should be grateful! /(..)\

Its also very clever and the things you may find offensive are most likely satirical anyWay. If it was as offensive as people make it out to be, it wouldn't have been picked up for however many dozens of series that have been and wouldnt be one of the highest rated cartoons ever:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

family guy is probably the least clever of all the cartoon shows, it relys on extrme racism/shock for humour, or repeating the joke for hours ( conway twitty ect), or celebrity jokes.

The simpsons is an excellent social commentary, as is south park. and they dont rely on many celebrity refrences that will be out of date in a few years
Original post by mazigh
I don't know maybe because he supports communism? :rolleyes:

got proof?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending