The Student Room Group
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton

Is it really that bad?

Quick bit about me- I'm currently an IT apprentice down in Ipswich however at the end of my apprenticeship I'm hoping to go to uni, more notably Bolton. I have looked at the uni itself and the accommodation I feel looks good for the money. However I've just logged on to here today for the first time and seen people slating it... I knew it was pretty low down in the League Tables but I didn't really care about. I'm interested in doing the two year Game Design HND then potentially moving to the degree course. I haven't been to the uni yet however I have an open day booked on the 28th of June.. but I've been told I need to make my decision on the 26th. The only uni I could really compare it to is UEA as I've been there a few times to visit friends.

Seeing the posts on here though has got me worried- is Bolton really that bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abeaumont94
Quick bit about me- I'm currently an IT apprentice down in Ipswich however at the end of my apprenticeship I'm hoping to go to uni, more notably Bolton. I have looked at the uni itself and the accommodation I feel looks good for the money. However I've just logged on to here today for the first time and seen people slating it... I knew it was pretty low down in the League Tables but I didn't really care about. I'm interested in doing the two year Game Design HND then potentially moving to the degree course. I haven't been to the uni yet however I have an open day booked on the 28th of June.. but I've been told I need to make my decision on the 26th. The only uni I could really compare it to is UEA as I've been there a few times to visit friends.

Hey! Im originally from Bolton and I think you'll find most people who are from bolton will slate it as a town. I would've done before living anywhere else... After living away for some time I can definitely say that it isnt that bad. Bolton is a cheap night out, there is stuff to do and it really is so easy to get to Manchester that even if you agree and think bolton is crap at least Manchester is close by. Everything is in easy reach from everything really. If you're expecting a wild party city then its not for you. But its a town and it's close to the party that's Manchester!
Hope that helps :smile:
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton
Reply 2
Original post by lucyanneedge276
Hey! Im originally from Bolton and I think you'll find most people who are from bolton will slate it as a town. I would've done before living anywhere else... After living away for some time I can definitely say that it isnt that bad. Bolton is a cheap night out, there is stuff to do and it really is so easy to get to Manchester that even if you agree and think bolton is crap at least Manchester is close by. Everything is in easy reach from everything really. If you're expecting a wild party city then its not for you. But its a town and it's close to the party that's Manchester!
Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'm used to the crappy nights out in Ipswich and they can't be much worse than that..!
Reply 3
Original post by abeaumont94

I've tried to post several times but the forum has a bug.

The short answer is yes. Voted the worst in the country for very good reason, hardly improved if at all since then.

From illegally replacing elected students' union presidents with staff members, to staff being hostile in response to students concerned about violence on placements, to a library so small that you can walk around it in about 30 seconds and there will only be 5 copies of an important book that can be borrowed - the rest being reference-only and still being hardly any as the library, being so small and only on one floor, can't fit a decent number of books in), to retaliation for any complaints made, to libelling students and even lying for other staff, etc ect etc.

I have been to three universities and Bolton is the worst I have ever encountered. Those who praise it are either people who have nothing to compare it with (put it this way: Bolton College is run better) or people who are so bad academically that they are just happy to have got in ANYWHERE.

Better universities nearby are Salford and Manchester, with Salford being a cheaper area to live in but parts of it can be rough.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
It is very easy to criticise. However there is no indication of the integrity or motives of those who are most vociferous. Anonymous criticism is facile and meaningless. Visit Bolton and its University and judge for yourselves. There are many who carp about Bolton, but few who eish to leave when they get here. Bolton Resident
Reply 5
True, Peter103. TSR lends itself to anonymous comments - it's not the kind of place you'd want to put up all your details straightaway.
I see you're a newbie. How about making yourself a bit less anonymous yourself?

Mel
(studying in Manchester)
Reply 6
Original post by _PJ_

The short answer is yes. Voted the worst in the country for very good reason, hardly improved if at all since then.

From illegally replacing elected students' union presidents with staff members, to staff being hostile in response to students concerned about violence on placements, to a library so small that you can walk around it in about 30 seconds and there will only be 5 copies of an important book that can be borrowed - the rest being reference-only and still being hardly any as the library, being so small and only on one floor, can't fit a decent number of books in), to retaliation for any complaints made, to libelling students and even lying for other staff, etc ect etc.

I have been to three universities and Bolton is the worst I have ever encountered. Those who praise it are either people who have nothing to compare it with (put it this way: Bolton College is run better) or people who are so bad academically that they are just happy to have got in ANYWHERE.

Better universities nearby are Salford and Manchester, with Salford being a cheaper area to live in but parts of it can be rough.

Games Design at Bolton is actually a good course.
But the other comments about Bolton you see on TSR are sadly, based on fact, and worth taking into consideration. Near bottom of league tables for good reason.
Reply 7
I was there (and off-campus) for an FdSc from 2006. The course prospectus painted quite a different picture to what was actually experienced. My impression was that my course's syllabus was fairly lightweight - certainly nothing more than you might expect from something like a Lynda.com subscription. Access to facilities didn't provide much of an improvement on the experience, either, as students were limited to two hours per week in term-time only.

I had some good tutors (one in particular who was excellent and clearly committed to his responsibilities), but others who were just flaky.

On the whole, my experience left me disillusioned, both with the course and my choice of subject (to the extent that I had problems completing it in the normal time frame and ended up not wanting to go near the subject ever again). Additionally, after I'd completed my final module, the university forgot about me, meaning I graduated the course nearly a year after I'd finished.

My course had a significant number of students fall away from it. That seemed to be part of a broader problem at Bolton, which has an unusually high desertion rate, both for first year drop-outs and students who don't complete their course at all.

If there's something you know for certain about a course there or the people involved in it, then fair enough. For £9,000 a year, I'd want something better, though.
Hi guys,

Having recently travelled around the UK, I have to agree with Lucy I've started to appreciate Bolton much more. You have access to everything you need and as Lucy mentioned Manchester is only a short ride away.

As for the University we only gained university status in 2005 though we started as an institution celebrating our 190th anniversary this year. We have developed immensely since we gained university status and always looking to improve by listening to what the students have to say.

I graduated from the University in 2012 and now working as a Marketing and Recruitment Officer. If you guys have any questions/queries do let me know, would be more than happy to help.
J

Saf

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by University of Bolton
Hi guys,

Having recently travelled around the UK, I have to agree with Lucy I've started to appreciate Bolton much more. You have access to everything you need and as Lucy mentioned Manchester is only a short ride away.

As for the University we only gained university status in 2005 though we started as an institution celebrating our 190th anniversary this year. We have developed immensely since we gained university status and always looking to improve by listening to what the students have to say.

I graduated from the University in 2012 and now working as a Marketing and Recruitment Officer. If you guys have any questions/queries do let me know, would be more than happy to help.
J

Saf

You are lying and you know it.

Manchester is a short train journey away (though it can be up to an hour and a half by bus), but what the University staff oh-so-conveniently "forget" to tell you is that the trains to Bolton stop running before midnight, so there's no way you can have a proper night out in Manchester unless you have a place to stay at overnight in Manchester.

The staff at the University (which should not even be called a university - Bolton College is run in a much more professional manner) commit victimisation against students who make legitimate complaints (they even illegally threw out a Students' Union president and replaced her with the same member of staff who'd made a false complaint about her!), harass students who make a legitimate complaint, bully students who are on violent placements (I have personally witnessed this - and the aggressor was and still is a senior member of staff at Bolton University), and commit disability discrimination - especially against anyone who has a mental health issue that they are ignorant about.

The place was voted worst in the country in 2012 (http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/9665764.University_of_Bolton_is_worst_in_country_says_guide/) and the vice-chancellor made excuses rather than commit to improve the place, so in 2013 the place was still among the worst in the country: http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/10536232.Among_the_worst_in_the_country__University_of_Bolton_students_still_looking_for_job_after_six_months/?ref=rss

This is not libel as I have evidence for all of this. And just look at their wiki page (seemingly edited by one of the many students with a grievance against the University): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Bolton
Reply 10
Original post by Peter103
It is very easy to criticise. However there is no indication of the integrity or motives of those who are most vociferous. Anonymous criticism is facile and meaningless. Visit Bolton and its University and judge for yourselves. There are many who carp about Bolton, but few who eish to leave when they get here. Bolton Resident

Blatant lie. Many wish to leave when they get there.

There would be hardly any anonymous criticism (though you would still get some) if it was a decent university - as it is, it was voted the worst in the country in 2012 for good reason and has not improved since then. Complaints result in victimisation and harassment.

As for being anonymous: I have commented using my Facebook profile on the Bolton University page until they banned me for telling the truth (as they did with others).

Have you noticed how rather than say "We recognise there are problems and we;ve done x, y, z to deal with these issues", they pretend there's nothing wrong? When I was there, there were posters on the wall from years ago saying what they supposedly would do in response to feedback, but they never actually did any of it. They even used to harass students who were working all night in the supposed 24-hour room (which often closed without notice) if they happened to rest their head on the desk for ten minutes to try to get a bit of sleep! I have a complaint I made to the Information Commissioner's Office about this misuse of CCTV beyond its stated purpose - I can e-mail it to anyone who wants it.

Compare this with Salford which, whilst it had and still has its problems, did this:

As the 24-hour computer room was getting too full with students having to wait for a computer, they built a whole new 24-hour computer room

As students wanted access to books outside of normal study hours, the library was made 24-hour during most of term time

There were notes on the walls of buildings in response to student feedback, saying what had been done

The first year I enrolled at Salford, it was difficult to know where to go. In response to feedback, they put signs all over the place in subsequent years

An area near the university was not well-lit and students were victims of attacks there. The Students' Union, working with the council, got lighting installed

And so on. In short, whilst it's not a great university and still has organisational problems, the University tried to improve things. Unlike Bolton.
This PJ fella is the biggest loser to have ever entered this earth, never mind the biggest to have entered UoB.

He was simply put on a course at Bolton to make up the numbers. His intelligence and bitter emotional feelings have led to his 2 year outbreak to consistently track down internet forums or anything alike about the University of Bolton, and slate them to the ground because he still hasn't managed to find a job that would employ such a long haired bitch.

The SU President was a robbing little whore who kept the money for herself, leading to her getting the sack. She was good looking, so all the losers such as PJ hopped on her side - in the hope of losing his virginity.

As for Mr BigMelt, even your name's humorous let's face it. A melt to me is somebody who takes every last bit of energy out of you at the end of a long hard day. You know the sort you see and suddenly drop your head and begin to walk backwards around the corner. The sort of retard you can get away with this stuff too...yet if spotted he won't take the hint and probably chase you round the corner thinking you're playing childish games with him. The type to have snot dripping out his nose and stuttering constantly yet you can't bring yourself together to tell him because you're so busy trying to avoid him.

Bolton is what you make it. There's retards at every Uni, trust me.
PJ, I really don't appreciate you leaving the exact same msg on every post we make. I also attended the University in the same period so was aware of some issues we may have had but the University is working hard alongside both current and former students like me to make positive changes. We do try to listen to what students want and make changes in consideration.

We now have a two floor 24/7 library, a new £31m Bolton One sports centre, a remodelled careers service available to graduates for up to 3 years, dedicated student services team who are available till 9pm. We've added more computers around the campus alongside having free laptop loans for students. The University has also been given permission to build a University Technology College next to our main building, which will be opening in September 2015 alongside our new Centre of Performance Engineering. We are the only University in the UK, which has a professional racing team on the campus providing great opportunities for students to develop and build a career in the automotive/motorsport industry.

Yes, we may be bottom of the rankings currently, which by the way doesn't consider postgraduate or overseas students but we are also one of the newest and fastest growing in the North West.

I don't get paid on commision from the University or the town. The town is easily accessible and journey time to Manchester is around 25mins so why would you want to take the bus. We also have a £50m bus station being built right next to the train station, which will add more transport links to the NW.

If anyone wants to know more about university education, life or any of the courses we provide then feel free to drop me a msg :smile:

Saf P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JimmyGrimble
This PJ fella is the biggest loser to have ever entered this earth, never mind the biggest to have entered UoB.

He was simply put on a course at Bolton to make up the numbers. His intelligence and bitter emotional feelings have led to his 2 year outbreak to consistently track down internet forums or anything alike about the University of Bolton, and slate them to the ground because he still hasn't managed to find a job that would employ such a long haired bitch.

The SU President was a robbing little whore who kept the money for herself, leading to her getting the sack. She was good looking, so all the losers such as PJ hopped on her side - in the hope of losing his virginity.

As for Mr BigMelt, even your name's humorous let's face it. A melt to me is somebody who takes every last bit of energy out of you at the end of a long hard day. You know the sort you see and suddenly drop your head and begin to walk backwards around the corner. The sort of retard you can get away with this stuff too...yet if spotted he won't take the hint and probably chase you round the corner thinking you're playing childish games with him. The type to have snot dripping out his nose and stuttering constantly yet you can't bring yourself together to tell him because you're so busy trying to avoid him.

Bolton is what you make it. There's retards at every Uni, trust me.

Wow, intriguing...

Hi everyone out there. Here I am trying to provide a public service, and you know… take it or leave it.

What I said about the general opinions, the Twitter comments, it’s still happening, get this recent one: “UCAS more like UCAN'T even get into Bolton University”
Nothing to do with me, I just report the facts. Go to which Uni you like.
I made my choice a couple of years ago and it wasn’t Bolton.

The name’s Big Melz. That’s not spelt with a T, though it’s interesting to read your tirade.

Big Melz aka speakthetruth
Original post by University of Bolton
PJ, I really don't appreciate you leaving the exact same msg on every post we make. I also attended the University in the same period so was aware of some issues we may have had but the University is working hard alongside both current and former students like me to make positive changes. We do try to listen to what students want and make changes in consideration.

We now have a two floor 24/7 library, a new £31m Bolton One sports centre, a remodelled careers service available to graduates for up to 3 years, dedicated student services team who are available till 9pm. We've added more computers around the campus alongside having free laptop loans for students. The University has also been given permission to build a University Technology College next to our main building, which will be opening in September 2015 alongside our new Centre of Performance Engineering. We are the only University in the UK, which has a professional racing team on the campus providing great opportunities for students to develop and build a career in the automotive/motorsport industry.

Yes, we may be bottom of the rankings currently, which by the way doesn't consider postgraduate or overseas students but we are also one of the newest and fastest growing in the North West.

I don't get paid on commision from the University or the town. The town is easily accessible and journey time to Manchester is around 25mins so why would you want to take the bus. We also have a £50m bus station being built right next to the train station, which will add more transport links to the NW.

If anyone wants to know more about university education, life or any of the courses we provide then feel free to drop me a msg :smile:

Saf P

Oh come on the Library isn’t really on 2 floors.
It has a kind of split level entrance, and all of the ground floor.
You surely don't count that as 2 floors?
Next floor up is teaching department - Psychology if I'm told correctly.
On that floor there are a few computing rooms, yes accessed from the Library, but used for teaching, no books up there. and not a whole floor anyways.

Also, it’s not 24/7 a lot of the time.
Check their website - it's not open 24/7 now, for instance.

Doesn’t mean it’s bad or anything I just hate it when the marketing people misrepresent or exaggerate things.

Everyone out there - Find your own truth. Be happy with it, you don't have to inflict it on others.
Original post by BigMelz
Oh come on the Library isn’t really on 2 floors.
It has a kind of split level entrance, and all of the ground floor.
You surely don't count that as 2 floors?
Next floor up is teaching department - Psychology if I'm told correctly.
On that floor there are a few computing rooms, yes accessed from the Library, but used for teaching, no books up there. and not a whole floor anyways.

Also, it’s not 24/7 a lot of the time.
Check their website - it's not open 24/7 now, for instance.

Doesn’t mean it’s bad or anything I just hate it when the marketing people misrepresent or exaggerate things.

Everyone out there - Find your own truth. Be happy with it, you don't have to inflict it on others.

Like i said before I may work in Marketing but i was a former student so I'm not here to exaggerate anything. I've seen the changes made overtime and in my opinion they've been positive. I was only answering the fact that comments suggested that we don't make changes or look after our students.

The facilities on the second floor are computer rooms/study rooms for the use of students and access only through the library although been told we are maybe looking to expand this in the near future with books on the floor if demand suggests. The psychology department is separate access. The library is 24 hours but as we are not in term time there is little to no point leaving it open for 24 hours when its not in demand. We don't have the big funds some universities may have although I have friends at other universities who had resits and even they mentioned theirs closed early during summer months.

We are a small and friendly university. I agree with you, people should do their own research. I recommend booking a campus tour to make your own judgement with any university you looking to attend. Don't just go by reputation as I've had many friends transferring/dropping out from well renowned universities and felt comfortable in smaller less profiled universities around the NW.

Saf
On the subject of "looking after students" ......... Alarming developments, if anyone wants to check recent news. bit.ly/1JTb4r5

and SU statement bit.ly/1Qs1KeG

Yes Bolton really does seem to be that bad.
Original post by BigMelz
On the subject of "looking after students" ......... Alarming developments, if anyone wants to check recent news. bit.ly/1JTb4r5

and SU statement bit.ly/1Qs1KeG

Yes Bolton really does seem to be that bad.

My experience at the Uni has been mostly positive but this is one of those things that should just never have happened.

Even if he did leak the information then he should have been praised for it, get rid of George Holmes, bring these guys back.
Original post by _PJ_

Whats this about violence on placements please? Im concerned about this,my sons going bolton in september- small library is no biggie,you can even go to a public library to get a book,but im a bit worried about the violence issue?
Is it really that bad? Yes, ...a thousand times yes.

Like every institution, by some random chance, you will find good and committed staff. I do not want to run them down.

Indeed, I do not need to. For the inept and incompetent management of this university already trampled their moral into the dust.

George Holmes, the V-C, is s national embarrassment. Just read 'Private Eye' for an insight. The proud town of Bolton does its level best to ignore the fact that it gives its name to such a stillborn 'academic' abortion.

All very sad really.

Oh yes,....and that place is on the verge of bankruptcy. That really does not help either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending