The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Is the University of Sussex as bad as the reviews say?

Hi. I was interested in learning more about the University of Sussex because I wanted to go there but I came across a bunch of really bad reviews, especially on sites like whatuni.com. Is the uni really as bad as the reviews suggest ..?
The teaching and your course is mostly dependent on which school within the university you are in. But the university management are pretty bad, there's been strikes because of it most of last year which is probably the main reason for all the bad reviews recently
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by loginrunner
The teaching and your course is mostly dependent on which school within the university you are in. But the university management are pretty bad, there's been strikes because of it most of last year which is probably the main reason for all the bad reviews recently

Thanks for your reply. I would go there next year if I get made an offer, but would you say it's bad enough that I shouldn't consider going there anymore?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your reply. I would go there next year if I get made an offer, but would you say it's bad enough that I shouldn't consider going there anymore?

What course/school will you be in? The school you're in will be almost entirely responsible for your course/teaching so it might be worth trying to find reviews specific to your school. I'm in the Engineering and Informatics school and I think they do pretty well for my course. The main worry about the uni management is if there will be strikes next year, but a lot of other unis had strikes too. If you really like the sound of the course at sussex I would not say it's bad enough to avoid going
Reply 4
Original post by loginrunner
What course/school will you be in? The school you're in will be almost entirely responsible for your course/teaching so it might be worth trying to find reviews specific to your school. I'm in the Engineering and Informatics school and I think they do pretty well for my course. The main worry about the uni management is if there will be strikes next year, but a lot of other unis had strikes too. If you really like the sound of the course at sussex I would not say it's bad enough to avoid going

Thanks, thats really helpful. I'd be in the School of Media, Arts and Humanities with a pathway in either cognitive science or international relations..
Reply 5
my sister goes there and has said she loves the course but staff are slow at getting back to you.
Hi. I was interested in learning more about the University of Sussex because I wanted to go there but I came across a bunch of really bad reviews, especially on sites like whatuni.com. Is the uni really as bad as the reviews suggest ..?

Honestly have the same problem atm. I know rankings are to be taken with a pinch of salt but it's declining each year for the past 3 years. But I like the area and town. Stuck between Sussex and Reading for Law and it makes it so much more difficult with no campus open days.
Reply 7
Original post by lanceey12
Honestly have the same problem atm. I know rankings are to be taken with a pinch of salt but it's declining each year for the past 3 years. But I like the area and town. Stuck between Sussex and Reading for Law and it makes it so much more difficult with no campus open days

Exactly the same, it is really difficult. I applied for Reading too :biggrin: by the sounds of it the bad reviews aren’t about anything *too* major which is somewhat reassuring, but I get what you mean about the league table rankings. I’ve had an offer from Sussex now and they’ve already said that the offer holder day is likely to be virtual - which I understand but it does just make it more difficult making a decision... good luck anyway!
Exactly the same, it is really difficult. I applied for Reading too :biggrin: by the sounds of it the bad reviews aren’t about anything *too* major which is somewhat reassuring, but I get what you mean about the league table rankings. I’ve had an offer from Sussex now and they’ve already said that the offer holder day is likely to be virtual - which I understand but it does just make it more difficult making a decision... good luck anyway!

I went for it and applied this morning and put Sussex as part of my choices. Good luck for your application as well and hopefully it works out for us!
Has anyone found any answers as to if the uni is as bad as the negative reviews? I was excited to apply there but now I’m really nervous. I’d stay in Scape though so I don’t really care about the uni accommodation reviews
Original post by Studentystudent!
Has anyone found any answers as to if the uni is as bad as the negative reviews? I was excited to apply there but now I’m really nervous. I’d stay in Scape though so I don’t really care about the uni accommodation reviews

Hello, as a current Sussex university student, I would say that the university has definitely met and indeed exceeded my initial expectations. Hence personally I cannot relate to a lot of negative reviews regarding course management and delivery.

My subject is Medical Neuroscience, and I have just finished my 3rd Year, which involved study abroad. I have 2 years left at Sussex, including a Master's Year, which I definitely look forward to. Academically-speaking, I feel I have really developed my academic skills and have built my knowledge of neuroscience, including how the subject is applicable to everyday life. I also had a chance to significantly improve my job prospects, not only by working towards a degree qualification, but by working on campus for variety of university departments.

Based on my experience, while the university is not perfect, Sussex definitely looks out for their students. As someone who is care-experience and needs a bit more of financial, emotional and career-support, I can vouch for the quality of number of support services offered by the university.

Furthermore, student feedback, regarding all their courses & university life is collected and carefully reviewed on regular basis, each term, with measures being implemented to improve teaching practices and student experience.

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I will be more than happy to share my personal experiences, and my thoughts. :smile:

Kasia (4th Year Sussex University Student; Medical Neuroscience MSCI with a Year Abroad)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello, as a current Sussex university student, I would say that the university has definitely met and indeed exceeded my initial expectations. Hence personally I cannot relate to a lot of negative reviews regarding course management and delivery.

My subject is Medical Neuroscience, and I have just finished my 3rd Year, which involved study abroad. I have 2 years left at Sussex, including a Master's Year, which I definitely look forward to. Academically-speaking, I feel I have really developed my academic skills and have built my knowledge of neuroscience, including how the subject is applicable to everyday life. I also had a chance to significantly improve my job prospects, not only by working towards a degree qualification, but by working on campus for variety of university departments.

Based on my experience, while the university is not perfect, Sussex definitely looks out for their students. As someone who is care-experience and needs a bit more of financial, emotional and career-support, I can vouch for the quality of number of support services offered by the university.

Furthermore, student feedback, regarding all their courses & university life is collected and carefully reviewed on regular basis, each term, with measures being implemented to improve teaching practices and student experience.

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I will be more than happy to share my personal experiences, and my thoughts. :smile:

Kasia (4th Year Sussex University Student; Medical Neuroscience MSCI with a Year Abroad)

What is the current reputation of the University of Sussex for postgraduate studies in Digital Media, and can you provide insights into recent concerns, such as strikes, that I've heard about? Additionally, as an international student, how safe is the university environment, and what are the opportunities for part-time jobs and affordable accommodations?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending