The Student Room Group

Feminists and Rape Culture

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4.2.0
This is correct, and wouldn't you argue that this is because society sees women as harmless victims by default? This is an idea that the majority of feminists want to get rid of.

Of course, but it's all relative. If you saw someone in relative poverty in the UK, you wouldn't scoff at them and tell them that others have it much harsher in third world countries would you? Society should make an effort to address everyone's issues regardless of gender, which include the inequalities in the justice system as you previously mentioned, as well as wage inequality etc.

I suppose you've heard of the retaliation hashtag #NotAllMen? It's where men who don't cat-call or do any of the things that women have talked about tell them that not all men are like that. This is true, but given the fact that almost all women are, to a degree, affected by and fearful of the bad apples that perpetuate misogyny leaves a lot to be said.

As well as that, the person who started the #YesAllWomen actually got death threats from those retaliating, the same men who claimed to not be those who partake in the disgusting behaviour that was called out.

I think what I'm trying to say is that the world would certainly be a lot better place if we all took the time to treat each other with equal kindness and respect.

I just wrote a long ****ing reply then the page decided to refresh and i lost it all... Really cannot be ****ed to write it out again.

I'll just say what i think of feminism: It is a poison, which creates an us against them mentality. It breeds hate and anger, and further divides society. Exactly what it was intended for. Just another method of control by the elite.

And to your last bit - Yes people should treat each other with kindness and respect. But this is the real world, and an hour long video of men in Syria killing innocents with AK47's didn't even make the news.

The world is a ****ed up place, and we are all luckier than we will ever fully appreciate to live where we do. When i hear a feminist moan, i think, go ****ing live in Syria for a day, then come back and tell me how hard you have it again.

Apologies for not replying to all your points, but as i say, i spent ages typing and ****ing lost it all.
Reply 41
Original post by ManifoldManifest
We tell people not to commit crime all the time. From police coming into schools to lecture about the evils of drugs, to anti knife crime campaigns, to countless other initiatives, we're constantly teaching people not to <crime>. Why should sexual assault be any different?

Public campaigns influence culture - it's not a case of trying to get an individual rapist to go "Oh wait, this is morally wrong! I should stop." It's shifting culture to make it less likely people will consider it an option.

If a man is willing to rape a woman and forgo any consideration for her feelings then I highly doubt he is going to be dissuaded by public campaigns.

Public campaigns don't make a difference. They do nothing but sow discord between the publics they profess to serve, and have created a culture wherein everyone wants to scrambling for moral high-ground at every opportunity. Not to mention, there are a means to attract votes. Of course, another thing that such campaigns do is demonise men further. Whether or not this is inadvertent is another matter, but that's what seems to be happening.

The notions some people in this thread have made about sexual assault are laughable. I don't know what rock any of you have been living under, but the abuse industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. Saying things such as "we're finally giving sexual assault the attention it deserves" is misguided, to say the least.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dark Horse
Feminists of the West regularly bring up the issue of rape.

The claim made these days by these misandrist whores is perhaps not made through any fault of their own, although I think it unlikely they would question the validity of their arguments once they have been made. The figure is that over 25% of women will be raped in their lives. That is a sizeable figure to say the least.

Such a massive figure may go some way to explaining why the conviction rate of accused rapists is so low. Do the authorities have any hope of convicting so many men? I would suggest that many rape accusations are somewhat woolly; another opportunity for some victim mentality.

Pretending that you're being ****ed over by someone is a popular pass-time these days.

Hey Dark Horse,

It's one thing to debate social issues and groups but your posts are definitely quite offensive to women (and indeed anyone) and not really in the spirit or tone of what TSR is all about. Please can you tone down your posts please - if you are unclear about this, please PM me.

Jack
I'd very much like to know which one of my posts resulted in a PM saying it was offensive/trolling..? Pretty sure i haven't directly insulted anyone here and i certainly am not trolling.

Pointing out the idiocy in something is not against the rules last time i checked, nor was having an opinion against feminists(ism).
Reply 44
Original post by Spetznaaz
I'd very much like to know which one of my posts resulted in a PM saying it was offensive/trolling..? Pretty sure i haven't directly insulted anyone here and i certainly am not trolling.

Pointing out the idiocy in something is not against the rules last time i checked, nor was having an opinion against feminists(ism).

What you have to remember is that on TSR, any time someone starts crying too loudly they can just shout "troll" and that's it, all their troubles are gone. I have to wonder if the majority of these posters have ever had a job, ever speak to anyone outside their immediate group of friends, or have actually lived in the real world at all. My guess would be no to all.

As it goes, if people get so offended by people disagreeing with them then perhaps they should not read or post on internet forums. :rolleyes:
Original post by ILovePancakes
I provided you with a source for my data. Where are his? He makes many claims. This man seems to feel forsaken by the system. He has a "I LIVE IN A MATRIARCHY, I AM OPPRESSED" attitude. A quick look at his favourited videos confirms this, namely "men are people too".

So only women are allowed to feel "forsaken by the system"? When women claim to be oppressed it must be taken seriously, but when men do it they must have a 'victim mentality.

You're running the risk here of not coming across as a serious person.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46

The notions some people in this thread have made about sexual assault are laughable. I don't know what rock any of you have been living under, but the abuse industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. Saying things such as "we're finally giving sexual assault the attention it deserves" is misguided, to say the least.

Now you're starting to sound more and more like a rapist and pro-human trafficking. God I hope you get banned at some point.
Original post by ManifoldManifest
We tell people not to commit crime all the time. From police coming into schools to lecture about the evils of drugs, to anti knife crime campaigns, to countless other initiatives, we're constantly teaching people not to <crime>. Why should sexual assault be any different?

Public campaigns influence culture - it's not a case of trying to get an individual rapist to go "Oh wait, this is morally wrong! I should stop." It's shifting culture to make it less likely people will consider it an option.

Original post by 4.2.0
x

I don't really want to get involved overmuch in another one of these threads, but rape-victim advocacy groups themselves (y'know, the organisations which deal with thousands of sexual assault cases every year) do not think that 'rape culture' is the cause of sexual assault.

RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) is America’s largest and most influential anti-sexual-violence organization. It is the leading voice for sexual-assault victim advocacy in the US. Here are some snippets from their recent report to the 'White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault'.

In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campus. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important not to lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime.

RAINN are especially critical of the idea of teaching men not to rape:

By the time they reach college, most students have been exposed to 18 years of prevention messages, in one form or another . . . the overwhelming majority of these young adults have learned right from wrong, and enter college knowing that rape falls squarely in the latter category. Dr. David Lisak estimates that three percent of college men are responsible for more than 90% of rapes . . . It is this relatively small percentage of the population, which has proven itself immune to years of prevention messages, that we must address in other ways.

Rape culture is a myth propagated by radfems that only serves to trivialise the actual crime itself. Clearly, this myth has been repeated so often that it is now taken as de rigeur even by otherwise moderate feminists. You can read more of the report and find a link to the original in this thread.

Edit: one more point:

As Dr. Lisak has noted, we can benefit from decades’ of sex offender treatment work, which supports that it is all but impossible to reprogram a serial offender with a simple prevention message.
(edited 9 years ago)

Do the authorities have any hope of convicting so many men? I would suggest that many rape accusations are somewhat woolly; another opportunity for some victim mentality.

Pretending that you're being ****ed over by someone is a popular pass-time these days.

It is believed that 80% of rapes are not reported. As someone who has suffered sexual assault, I understand why many women stay silent. Of these rapes that are reported, only about 3% have been found to be false.
Many rapes and assaults do take place, and people like you who automatically say that their story is woolly, and they are just wannabe victims are part of the reason many women do not report their attacks and the offender remains free and unpunished to attack another woman or a man.
It should be noted that most rapists are known to the victim. So are many acts of assault, but if you've ever been to a night club or on the London underground, the figures are slightly more even. Sexual offenders also often have multiple victims - just because 25% of women are attacked, it doesn't mean 25% of men are sexual predators.
None the less, the number of attackers is irrelevant. What is important is the victims, and that they all get justice, whether there are 10 offenders or 10,000.
(edited 9 years ago)
Gladly. Most rape allegations are false and it has been proven with simple maths. :smile:

This is the most retarded thing i've ever seen. I got 4 minutes in and gave up because he was over-simplifying the figures and pulling them out of his arse.
Rape and assault figures are very complex and require complex maths.
You can't build a Hadron collider using simple, made up maths the same way you can't understand rape and accusation figures using simple maths.

He also shoves on his own view, that he gets from ****ing no-where. What supports this???

He goes on about incentives for women to lie, but a lot of rape victims are called sluts, told they deserve it, and that they should be grateful a man wanted to have sex with them. They are often blamed for being attacked, and called a bitch for 'ruining a man's life' even if the allegation was genuine!!!

He said 5% of women have psychological issues - well, why can't men? in fact, statistically more men commit suicide than women - so would more men be mentally unstable? of course this is a *******s argument. Rape is more about the need for power than sex - this is a psychological issue. As offenders have many victims, you need far fewer mentally unstable offenders than you do victims. He failed to factor this into his poor maths of false figures, attributing one man to one offence saying 'if men were 10x more likely to rape...

Also, I suffer from PMS. Very. ****ing. Badly. Sometimes I'm in so much pain I can barely walk, I throw up, and at best am in moderate pain with co-codamol and am very stressed. This doesn't make me wrongly accuse men. DON'T BLAME MY PERIOD FOR YOUR CRIMES.
(edited 9 years ago)
Another one of these threads Dark Horse ?

First of all its quite hard for a woman to rape a man however many guys may have been sexually assaulted ( grabbed and groped) but they go unreported because most of them would probably be scared to. I know a guy whos experienced this.However it's technically very easy to rape a woman if you are a strong man. I know what it is as I've experienced it personally. However like many other women I didn't report it due to fear and I was 11 and thought it was my fault. There are many cases like that. Which goes to suggest that many rape crimes against men AND women go under reported and that the real numbers are higher than what most statistics say.However many women get sexually assaulted every day. You wouldn't know because you're a guy. For instance Sooooooooo many times I've taken a packed tube or the metro in france and had a pervert rub up on me from behind. It's nasty but you can't even prove it and in many cases you can't even move. It's gross.

What I'm saying is that women are easier targets.
Reply 51
Original post by brunettegirl92
It is believed that 80% of rapes are not reported. As someone who has suffered sexual assault, I understand why many women stay silent. Of these rapes that are reported, only about 3% have been found to be false.

Evidence?

Many rapes and assaults do take place, and people like you who automatically say that their story is woolly, and they are just wannabe victims are part of the reason many women do not report their attacks and the offender remains free and unpunished to attack another woman or a man.

It is innocent until proven guilty and must remain as such.

It should be noted that most rapists are known to the victim. So are many acts of assault, but if you've ever been to a night club or on the London underground, the figures are slightly more even. Sexual offenders also often have multiple victims - just because 25% of women are attacked, it doesn't mean 25% of men are sexual predators.
None the less, the number of attackers is irrelevant. What is important is the victims, and that they all get justice, whether there are 10 offenders or 10,000.

There is actually some evidence to say that many "victims" have multiple attackers. I don't mean gang rape. I mean that certain women seem to get raped all the time. Funny how some are that unfortunate. :lol:
Reply 52
This is the most retarded thing i've ever seen. I got 4 minutes in and gave up because he was over-simplifying the figures and pulling them out of his arse.
Rape and assault figures are very complex and require complex maths.
You can't build a Hadron collider using simple, made up maths the same way you can't understand rape and accusation figures using simple maths.

Ahhh I see, it's that complicated that people can't understand it, but you can? :wink:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity

He also shoves on his own view, that he gets from ****ing no-where. What supports this???

People can give their own views on everything. Deal with it.

He goes on about incentives for women to lie, but a lot of rape victims are called sluts, told they deserve it, and that they should be grateful a man wanted to have sex with them. They are often blamed for being attacked, and called a bitch for 'ruining a man's life' even if the allegation was genuine!!!

Evidence?

I posted an article not too long ago about a couple of women who falsely accused a man of rape and had to retract their charges because the man had evidence of their consent. The women were aware they gave consent but were very comfortable with getting a man sent to prison for max 25 years. Were he to not have evidence of their consent he would now be rotting in prison.

He said 5% of women have psychological issues - well, why can't men? in fact, statistically more men commit suicide than women - so would more men be mentally unstable? of course this is a *******s argument. Rape is more about the need for power than sex - this is a psychological issue. As offenders have many victims, you need far fewer mentally unstable offenders than you do victims. He failed to factor this into his poor maths of false figures, attributing one man to one offence saying 'if men were 10x more likely to rape...

But he said that women making false rape allegations is due to them having psychogical issues such as BPD. It also ties in with what I said about many women being repeat victims.

I'd also love to know how you can prove that there are many "repeat offenders." You've just pulled this out of thin air, haven't you? :smile:

Also, I suffer from PMS. Very. ****ing. Badly. Sometimes I'm in so much pain I can barely walk, I throw up, and at best am in moderate pain with co-codamol and am very stressed. This doesn't make me wrongly accuse men. DON'T BLAME MY PERIOD FOR YOUR CRIMES.

I'll bet you do.
Reply 53
Original post by shalla13
Another one of these threads Dark Horse ?

First of all its quite hard for a woman to rape a man however many guys may have been sexually assaulted ( grabbed and groped) but they go unreported because most of them would probably be scared to. I know a guy whos experienced this.However it's technically very easy to rape a woman if you are a strong man. I know what it is as I've experienced it personally. However like many other women I didn't report it due to fear and I was 11 and thought it was my fault. There are many cases like that. Which goes to suggest that many rape crimes against men AND women go under reported and that the real numbers are higher than what most statistics say.However many women get sexually assaulted every day. You wouldn't know because you're a guy. For instance Sooooooooo many times I've taken a packed tube or the metro in france and had a pervert rub up on me from behind. It's nasty but you can't even prove it and in many cases you can't even move. It's gross.

What I'm saying is that women are easier targets.

All of this is unsubstantiated drivel that doesn't mean anything. :rolleyes:
Evidence?

http://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/rape-sexual-violence/Pages/rape-notification.aspx
https://rainn.org/get-information/statistics/reporting-rates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

It is innocent until proven guilty and must remain as such.

YES! WE AGREE!
Same goes for rape victims. They are not guilty of being liars until proven so. Impartiality is important. Until there is proof, the alleged offender isn't a rapist, but the alleged victim isn't a liar.

There is actually some evidence to say that many "victims" have multiple attackers. I don't mean gang rape. I mean that certain women seem to get raped all the time. Funny how some are that unfortunate. :lol:

That is true. Often gang rapists are repeat offenders as well though.Why do you think 'certain women' always get raped? Short skirt perhaps?
If a woman is sick, and she accuses men of crimes they haven't committed, then it is no stretch of the imagination that she'd do it again. But figures show that most reported rapes are not unfounded or false allegations.
Reply 55

None of these links prove that rape victims get abused. I would say that women who make false accusations leave themselves open to abuse and I think perhaps this is what you're seeing. Read between the lines.

YES! WE AGREE!
Same goes for rape victims. They are not guilty of being liars until proven so. Impartiality is important. Until there is proof, the alleged offender isn't a rapist, but the alleged victim isn't a liar.

No. Burden of proof works on the basis that someone who makes a claim must be able to prove it. If there is no proof then I have to wonder what makes you so sure that such women are not lying?

That is true. Often gang rapists are repeat offenders as well though.Why do you think 'certain women' always get raped? Short skirt perhaps?
If a woman is sick, and she accuses men of crimes they haven't committed, then it is no stretch of the imagination that she'd do it again. But figures show that most reported rapes are not unfounded or false allegations.

I never said certain women always get raped. I said certain women make allegations that they were raped.

The default stance you have seems to be to just believe the allegation without question.
Ahhh I see, it's that complicated that people can't understand it, but you can? :wink:

url]https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity
[

Yes I can understand it. Most people can. That's why this over-simplification is neither wise or necessary. Only an absolute moron would not see how that video is *******s, or actually need it to be that simple to understand. Not that the video provides much in understanding. its more unstatistical bull****.

People can give their own views on everything. Deal with it.

There's having your own views, but using them to create numbers and statistics based on not evidence just your own assumptions is something completely different. That is what this guy did.

Evidence?

http://www.alternet.org/culture/9-stupid-things-cops-nurses-lawyers-and-friends-should-never-say-survivors
http://projectunbreakable.tumblr.com/
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/04/15/3426679/study-assumption-sexual-violence-normal/

That's better evidence than your ****ty video. I love how I need evidence, but guy can come up with anything and you think thats fine.

I posted an article not too long ago about a couple of women who falsely accused a man of rape and had to retract their charges because the man had evidence of their consent. The women were aware they gave consent but were very comfortable with getting a man sent to prison for max 25 years. Were he to not have evidence of their consent he would now be rotting in prison.

Yes, and thats sick, but they represent an incredibly small proportion. I am wary of people who say for it to be newsworthy it can't be something that happens everyday, but hey, as this is a discussion where that video is actually being taken seriously, then I think I can throw that argument in the pot.
http://www.rapecrisisscotland.org.uk/campaigns/false-allegations/

But he said that women making false rape allegations is due to them having psychogical issues such as BPD. It also ties in with what I said about many women being repeat victims.

I'd also love to know how you can prove that there are many "repeat offenders." You've just pulled this out of thin air, haven't you? :smile:

I'll bet you do.

I agree. Men and women who make false allegations must have some personality problem. The video however implied all women have these issues.
There are repeat offenders. But if you want more men to be evil rapists then fine. But I thought you were arguing otherwise? Unless you're a troll and are disagreeing with everything for the sake of it, even if it does support your own argument.
If you like i can make you one of those videos using made up statistics, patronisingly and inaccurately simple mathematics and my own unsubstantiated opinion in the format of the one you posted to explain it to you. but instead i think I'll just post a link to some official stats when I'm on my computer again. I was halfway through replying when it crashed.
Also, no, I don't falsely accuse men of rape when I have PMS. What's your evidence that I do?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 57
Yes I can understand it. Most people can. That's why this over-simplification is neither wise or necessary. Only an absolute moron would not see how that video is *******s, or actually need it to be that simple to understand. Not that the video provides much in understanding. its more unstatistical bull****.

The video was using actual, published statistical data to draw conclusions. The video was far more rationally thought out than you're incessant crying, moaning and swearing.

There's having your own views, but using them to create numbers and statistics based on not evidence just your own assumptions is something completely different. That is what this guy did.

He was basing his figures on published statistics.

I fear that you are now cherry-picking data merely to suit your argument. It's one of many logical fallacies you've committed ITT.

Yes, and thats sick, but they represent an incredibly small proportion. I am wary of people who say for it to be newsworthy it can't be something that happens everyday, but hey, as this is a discussion where that video is actually being taken seriously, then I think I can throw that argument in the pot.
http://www.rapecrisisscotland.org.uk/campaigns/false-allegations/

Unless the number of rape allegations matches the number of convictions, then we can just as easily assume that the women are lying as we can assume that she has been raped. That's how the justice system works.

And, by the figures you posted, the conviction rate does not match the number of allegations. Like I said, it's down to your own personal stance on the matter regarding who you believe. Just believing that most allegations are genuine and brushing off with "a small portion of them might be fake" doesn't come across all that credible.

I'd just like to point out that you have, in fact, responded to the same post twice. You've ignored my first response to yours and instead quoted the previous one. The first response was somewhat reasonable (although still moronic) and the second one seems to be the PMS-version of your reply. I don't think you have a clue what you're doing tbh. Run along, little one.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending