The Student Room Group

'Rape culture' not the cause of sexual violence - RAINN

RAINN recently produced a report outlining recommendations to the 'White House Task Force to Protect Students from Sexual Assault'.

RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) is America’s largest and most influential anti-sexual-violence organization. It is the leading voice for sexual-assault victim advocacy in the US. Most rape-culture ideologists routinely cite RAINN statistics to make their case for the existence of rape culture.

Here are some of their conclusions from the report:

In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campus. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important not to lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime.

RAINN explains that continuous suggestions of a rape culture makes curtailing sexual violence more difficult:

This trend has the paradoxical effect of making it harder to stop sexual violence, since it removes the focus from the individual at fault, and seemingly mitigates personal responsibility for his or her own actions.

RAINN is especially critical of the idea that we need to focus on teaching men not to rape the hallmark of rape-culture activism:

By the time they reach college, most students have been exposed to 18 years of prevention messages, in one form or another . . . the overwhelming majority of these young adults have learned right from wrong, and enter college knowing that rape falls squarely in the latter category. Dr. David Lisak estimates that three percent of college men are responsible for more than 90% of rapes . . . It is this relatively small percentage of the population, which has proven itself immune to years of prevention messages, that we must address in other ways.

RAINN offers three ways to reduce sexual violence, one of which is seen by particularly virulent feminists as 'victim-blaming':

RAINN urges the White House to “remain focused on the true cause of the problem” and suggests a three-pronged approach for combating rape: empowering community members through bystander intervention education, using “risk-reduction messaging” to encourage students to increase their personal safety and promoting clearer education on “where the ‘consent line’ is.”

To be very clear, RAINN in no way condones or advocates victim blaming. Sexual assault is a violent crime and those who commit these crimes are solely responsible for their actions. That said, we believe that it is important to educate members of a campus community on actions they can take to increase their personal safety. In fact, we believe it’s irresponsible not to do so.

Now I'm not particularly surprised by this total bust of the whole rape culture/victim-blaming myth, and neither are most sensible men and women. I do wonder, though, how the hardcore feminists (typically those who have have picked up the idea of rape culture in women's studies/sociology) react to this report.

At the very least this report may reduce the number of 'does rape culture exist' threads floating about :cool:.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh my God those victim-blaming, sexist, oppressive, misogynistic rape apologists! How dare they! Tumblr, Jezebel, and my Gender Studies textbooks say there is a rape culture. What does RAINN know? Do they think they're experts or something?
Reply 2
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Most people call themselves feminists for one single reason; to make themselves feel better about themselves. I guarantee if you showed this to the majority of so-called feminists they wouldn't care. Its not about ethics to them, its about bolstering their own egos.
Well at least someone has some sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Agree about the conclusions relating to victim blaming. Obviously if a woman gets raped the rapist is the one who is at fault. However people do need to take responsibility for their own safety. If I were to walk through a council estate late at night on my own I would be putting myself at considerably more risk of getting mugged than if I had chosen a safer route home. Women should definitely be aware of situations they can end up in that would put them at a higher risk of sexual assault and be careful.
Reply 5
One more pertinent passage:

Perhaps counter-intuitively, we recommend not focusing prevention messaging towards potential perpetrators (with one exception, described below). Importantly, research has shown that prevention efforts that focus solely on men and “redefining masculinity,” as some programs have termed it, are unlikely to be effective. As Dr. Lisak has noted, we can benefit from decades’ of sex offender treatment work, which supports that it is all but impossible to reprogram a serial offender with a simple prevention message.
I am amazed at this outbreak of common sense.
Are you sure it is genuine?
Remember todays date.
Not surprised that the resident feminazis are avoiding this like the plague

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's up feminists, not replying?

Guess they can't say anything to a well thought out, rational argument. :lol: At least admit when you've been beaten guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by caravaggio2
I am amazed at this outbreak of common sense.
Are you sure it is genuine?
Remember todays date.

The report's actually from 28th Feb. I saw mention of it in a TIME article and forgot about it, but the 'Does rape culture exist' thread had someone quoting RAINN and it jogged my memory.

Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Not surprised that the resident feminazis are avoiding this like the plague

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose there's not much they can make in the way of a coherent response. I do hope that they eschew dogmatic stubbornness for a bit of acknowledgement - at least in their own minds even if they can't bring themselves to admit it out loud.
Original post by ClickItBack

I suppose there's not much they can make in the way of a coherent response. I do hope that they eschew dogmatic stubbornness for a bit of acknowledgement - at least in their own minds even if they can't bring themselves to admit it out loud.

Not renowned for it I am afraid.

Still, nearly12hrs and nobody disputing it.
Perhaps that is a good sign.
Reply 11
i wish people would stop using the term rape culture. idiots.
I think it says it all that we actually had to check this outbreak of common sense wasn't an April Fool's joke...
Reply 13
Original post by ClickItBack
One more pertinent passage:

It would have been helpful if you had included the part which deals with that 'one exception'. I had a look and it's the one thing that I think is currently the most important problem (and is demonstrated as such repeatedly in threads discussing consent issues).

I attempted to copy-paste the relevant paragraphs but that document is a nightmare to copy and paste from.
Reply 14
Why do you believe the findings of this report over stories from actual rape victims?
Reply 15
Original post by Ronove
It would have been helpful if you had included the part which deals with that 'one exception'. I had a look and it's the one thing that I think is currently the most important problem (and is demonstrated as such repeatedly in threads discussing consent issues).

I attempted to copy-paste the relevant paragraphs but that document is a nightmare to copy and paste from.

Fair enough. Here's the 'one exception':

Notwithstanding our point above about the futility of directing prevention messages to
potential college perpetrators, there is one area in which such messages can have a salutary
effect. In our public education work, we consistently encounter confusion about the
definition of consent, particularly in cases in which one or both parties have consumed
alcohol or drugs. Students receive a tremendous amount of conflicting (and often
erroneous) information about where “the consent line” is.

Some campaigns and websites claim that the ingestion of even a single drink renders
someone unable to legally consent, while conversely others explain that anyone short of
unconscious can consent (in fact, the standard varies by state; most common is an
“incapacitation” standard, which itself is not always well defined in law). Still others giving
advice to students use imprecise, and therefore unhelpful, words such as “buzzed” to
describe the line.

It’s no wonder that many students are confused and would benefit from clearer
education. (For a similar reason, education should avoid terms that have no real legal
meaning, such as “date rape.”) This is one area in which technology can play a big role.
Videos, interactive apps and websites should be utilized to explain, and demonstrate, the
educational information much needed by students.

This all seems eminently fair to me. Extremists on both sides are repudiated, as are particular - incorrectly applied - catchphrases. There's a call for clearer instruction as to what does and does not constitute consent. And this is all part of the third prong of their three-tiered attack, which I did mention in my original post.

I think it's quite clear from the above that ultimately the confusion about consent stems from its very grey legal definition (and it seems to my reading there's a slight insinuation that the White House could do with exerting some pressure on the judiciary to improve this). Given that even the law 'varies from state to state' and is 'not always well defined', it's not surprising that there's as much discussion as there is on these forums about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by squeala
Why do you believe the findings of this report over stories from actual rape victims?

I cannot see why an individual rape victim would be better placed to determine whether rape is due to 'rape culture' than an organisation that deals on behalf of thousands of rape victims and is writing a specifically commissioned report to the highest levels of government.

Not to say that RAINN is infallible, of course, but it is their primary aim to reduce sexual violence so I cannot see why they would make these statements if they did not believe they were actually a better approach.
Reply 17
I don't think rape culture causes sexual violence, but it does make it harder for victims to be taken seriously and has some horrible knock-on effects (see Steubenville).

And I don't know why anyone gets so aggravated by the term "rape culture". It's a term that serves a specific purpose. If it weren't called that it would be called something else.

Plus, while of course it is a good idea for everyone (not just women, folks) to take care of their own personal safety, this argument often descends into discussions of what the victim was wearing/how many other sexual partners she's had, or the implication that women should stay in their houses and lock all the doors and never touch a drop of alcohol if they don't want to be raped.

Rape culture is telling girls and women to be careful about what you wear, how you wear it, how you carry yourself, where you walk, when you walk there, with whom you walk, whom you trust, what you do, where you do it, with whom you do it, what you drink, how much you drink, whether you make eye contact, if you’re alone, if you’re with a stranger, if you’re in a group, if you’re in a group of strangers, if it’s dark, if the area is unfamiliar, if you’re carrying something, how you carry it, what kind of shoes you’re wearing in case you have to run, what kind of purse you carry, what jewelry you wear, what time it is, what street it is, what environment it is, how many people you sleep with, what kind of people you sleep with, who your friends are, to whom you give your number, who’s around when the delivery guy comes, to get an apartment where you can see who’s at the door before they can see you, to check before you open the door to the delivery guy, to own a dog or a dog-sound-making machine, to get a roommate, to take self-defense, to always be alert always pay attention always watch your back always be aware of your surroundings and never let your guard down for a moment lest you be sexually assaulted and if you are and didn’t follow all the rules it’s your fault.

I've never really been a fan of the phrase, "Teach men not to rape," by the way. It has horrible connotations and I think it's quite offensive.
Reply 18
Original post by squeala

Anecdotal evidence is not very good evidence.
rape culture :rofl:

Seriously, what is that? Can someone tell me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending