The Student Room Group

If women don't want to be primarily associated with their looks...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dark Horse
I'm not saying societal norms are irrational - I'm denying their existence entirely. :wink:

That was my point. Hence why I suggested rubbing someone's face as a form of greeting and seeing how they react.
Original post by PythianLegume
That was my point. Hence why I suggested rubbing someone's face as a form of greeting and seeing how they react.

I would not do this because the purpose of a greeting is usually to put some at ease around you. Rubbing their face would not serve this purpose.
I would not do this because the purpose of a greeting is usually to put some at ease around you. Rubbing their face would not serve this purpose.

Indeed, because the socially accepted greeting is to say hello/shake their hand/ hug them/all of the above. There's no rational reason that rubbing someone's face is weird while squeezing them between your arms is friendly.
Indeed, because the socially accepted greeting is to say hello/shake their hand/ hug them/all of the above. There's no rational reason that rubbing someone's face is weird while squeezing them between your arms is friendly.

What the hell are you talking about? :rolleyes:
What the hell are you talking about? :rolleyes:

I'm saying that there's no rational reason we do certain things, but think others are weird. We have a set of social norms upon which our society is built. For example, the previous homosexuality example - most people used to think it was horrible, now most people don't really care. That's a less abstract example of a social norm.
I'm saying that there's no rational reason we do certain things, but think others are weird. We have a set of social norms upon which our society is built. For example, the previous homosexuality example - most people used to think it was horrible, now most people don't really care. That's a less abstract example of a social norm.

But in the case of how we greet people - if it's not causing any issues but you think it's somehow bad just because it's a "societal norm" then you're just looking for problems that aren't even there.

The way you think doesn't even make sense to be honest. Although I can't say I'm surprised. People who say things like "societal norm" or "social construct" are usually morons. :rolleyes:
But in the case of how we greet people - if it's not causing any issues but you think it's somehow bad just because it's a "societal norm" then you're just looking for problems that aren't even there.

I never said it was bad. I said it proved the existence of social norms.

The way you think doesn't even make sense to be honest. Although I can't say I'm surprised. People who say things like "societal norm" or "social construct" are usually morons. :rolleyes:

Right back at yah: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem
It's a good point the OP raises here.

Most girls I know comment on each other's pictures in a similar manner, even if it's not true.

Most guys I know, however, would be seriously worried if their male friends seriously told them they were "sexy".

I'm not saying men aren't ultimately responsible for the objectification of women, but women sure as hell play into it.
I never said it was bad. I said it proved the existence of social norms.

No it doesn't. :rolleyes:

Right back at yah: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

Lol ad hominem is only a logical fallacy if you actually make an argument that can be countered in the first place. Moron. :lol:
Original post by MC armani
...then why is every comment on a girl's profile picture from their girl friends about how 'gorgeous' or 'sexy' they are? It seems to be an almost compulsory practice, as if a girl's self esteem will suffer if their profile picture receives less than an expected number of these comments (and likes of course). I've even been asked by a girl to 'like' their photo or write an admiring comment on an occasion

It seems to me that girls themselves are largely to blame for this inextricable association between a girl's self worth and their looks. Maybe girls should stop attributing these kinds of problems to some abstract notion of 'patriarchy' and instead take a good long look at how they treat each other.

What handbag does with this outfit? Do these shoes suit me? Should I dye my hair, highlight it? What about my eyelashes?

These are questions girls ask OTHER girls. No guy gives a shiny **** about any of it.
You realise that even if women are the main source of pressure to look good, that doesn't mean it isn't patriarchy? Have you actually read about the concept of 'patriarchy' or do you just consider it to be 'men cause all the wrong in the world'? Because patriarchy is a socially enforced (by both genders) set of social norms which are designed to protect the interests of a select few powerful men. Patriarchy as most feminists use the term comes from both men and women, and hurts both men and women. I'm not a huge fan of the term, mainly for the reason that it doesn't sound like what it describes.

Furthermore, I suspect that the women who complain about the patriarchy and the women who upload a million selfies to social media are not normally the same people.

Exactly, just the same as "feminism" - which is about gender equality. Call patriarchy power and feminism equality. Then men and women will be able to come together in empathy and solidarity.
Well then you're not allowed to whine that it's all the fault of men objectifying you. Trust me, we'd rather get well away from the sinkhole of social media.
Original post by scrotgrot
Exactly, just the same as "feminism" - which is about gender equality. Call patriarchy power and feminism equality. Then men and women will be able to come together in empathy and solidarity.

Indeed, the only problem I have with feminism is the language used. It's often very divisive, so it's no wonder men feel left out when terms like 'patriarchy' and 'rape culture' make them feel like feminism is blaming them for being a man. Men shouldn't have to read into feminism to understand that it's not about attacking men.
Reply 73
Original post by AnimalLover97
This is because in Hollywood appearance is of greater importance to some people but this is not always the case with women who aren't actresses and other similar careers. The majority of people I know will compliment personality over looks when you talk to them in person.

Female celebrities are almost uniformly self-proclaimed feminists, and yet they still feel compelled to prefix any praise of another female with a compliment on their looks. Go figure.
Why are these saccharin comments made so incessantly at all? I don't see them on guy's photos. Maybe that's one of the reasons why we don't grow up so preoccupied with our looks.

You don't grow up 'pre-occupied' with your looks because throughout your entire journey into adulthood, you've been presented with images of physically unattractive men who have still been hailed as geniuses, visionaries, revolutionaries, successes in every field of life without a single soul mentioning their looks to undermine their achievements. Contrast this with the Angela Merkels or Hilary Clintons of the world who can lead superpowers and yet are still described as 'frumpy' and 'haggard' in MAINSTREAM media.

In other words, you can be a cross between a decrepit Steve Bucesmi and Jonah Hill and still be confident, that somewhere out there, success and the love of a supermodel awaits you. Whereas a woman in your position feels as if her entire worth as a human being is undermined, and that she will never be accepted or loved.
So we should start uploading MRI scans?

'Damn girl, I love that photograph. Your temporal lobe is so efficient!'

Photographs are there to be looked at. If I uploaded a recording of me singing something, people would comment on my voice (probably badly).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by browndruidess
You don't grow up 'pre-occupied' with your looks because throughout your entire journey into adulthood, you've been presented with images of physically unattractive men who have still been hailed as geniuses, visionaries, revolutionaries, successes in every field of life without a single soul mentioning their looks to undermine their achievements. Contrast this with the Angela Merkels or Hilary Clintons of the world who can lead superpowers and yet are still described as 'frumpy' and 'haggard' in MAINSTREAM media.

Funnily enough, I seem to remember Nick Clegg being such a hit in the 2010 general election because he was perceived as more handsome than the Cameron and Brown.

The media pressure is on both genders to aspire to a certain standard of appearance; but you'll find far more women perpetuating it amongst themselves than men.
Funnily enough, I seem to remember Nick Clegg being such a hit in the 2010 general election because he was perceived as more handsome than the Cameron and Brown.

The media pressure is on both genders to aspire to a certain standard of appearance; but you'll find far more women perpetuating it amongst themselves than men.

Nick Clegg is handsome? News to me! Must be why UKIP's female voters are flocking to Farage then.....who cares about policy, oo-err just look at him!

On a serious note, feminist or anti-feminist, you cannot be arguing that men are held to the same standard as women when it comes to physical looks? The worst chauvinists I've met can still admit that women are held to a higher, often unattainable standard. They don't give a sh*t about challenging their views, but they'll still admit it. Women cannot 'perpetuate' this. Think of these standards, and misogyny, as air pollution stemming from the factory of patriarchy. EVERYONE breathes it in, so when women seemingly hold other women to beauty standards......GUESS what the original source is?

To answer your original question, have you ever considered female and male friendships and their differing dynamics? If a guy left a comment to his friend telling him he looked 'sexy' and 'wow stunning babe', what kind of response would he get? How long before the word faggot is thrown around? You can chalk that up to patriarchy too, since it polices men and has hijacked masculinity too.
...then why is every comment on a girl's profile picture from their girl friends about how 'gorgeous' or 'sexy' they are? It seems to be an almost compulsory practice, as if a girl's self esteem will suffer if their profile picture receives less than an expected number of these comments (and likes of course). I've even been asked by a girl to 'like' their photo or write an admiring comment on an occasion

It seems to me that girls themselves are largely to blame for this inextricable association between a girl's self worth and their looks. Maybe girls should stop attributing these kinds of problems to some abstract notion of 'patriarchy' and instead take a good long look at how they treat each other.

I agree with all this, but i dont think that the girls who complain about being objectified are the ones who post all these selfies etc - if they are then they're stupid
It's all pretty stupid really. People who object to having their looks commented on are generally either on some sort of self-righteous soap box for whatever reason, or they're extremely unattractive. Both, however, would very likely secretly love somebody to comment positively on their appearance.

People are so hung up about crap. I personally would be perfectly happy to have people comment positively on my appearance... AMONG other things. I'd like people to comment positively on my personality and my abilities as well.

What on earth is actually wrong with being seen positively in many different aspects?

I'd love to be beautiful, sexy, a great piano player, a good cook, a witty novel writer, a kind loyal generous patient wife and friend, and a fabulous mother. Okay I'm falling short on a few of these things (ahem! lol), but that's what I'd love to be. And yes, beautiful / sexy is on the list. And why the hell not?!

hypothetical situation : If I have a photograph of myself up and somebody goes "ooh you look sexy", I'd be dead happy with that.
If I make a gorgeous meal and somebody goes "wow you're a great cook", I'd be dead happy with that.
If I write a cracking story and somebody goes "you're a fantastic writer", I'd be dead happy with that.

I wouldn't, however, expect somebody to take one look at me and say "you look like a fabulous piano player, darling!" because how the **** would they know, by looking at me, that I have an interest in piano playing?!
If somebody took one look at me and said "you're stunningly attractive", that would be very nice of them, because what else can you get out of initially seeing somebody other than their appearance?!

If I buy a nice dress, and get my hair done, and put my makeup on really nicely, I don't want people to comment on my cookery skills, I damned well want people to go "wow you look so gorgeous!" because that's appropriately complimentary for that situation!

I'm so sick of hearing attractive girls (who are CLEARLY making an effort with their clothes, hair, and makeup), bitching about how people find them attractive. Cry me a river!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending