The Student Room Group

Mother in tears after being called a 'slut' by two customers for breastfeeding her so

Scroll to see replies

Who was it that seemingly started this craze of breast feeding in public for attention?
Original post by tazarooni89
I'm sure it does take more effort. However, many women would be perfectly happy to make that effort, because they would prefer it to having their breasts visible in public.

The fact that a woman breastfeeds in public, even when alternative (albeit perhaps less convenient) options are available to ensure their child is properly fed, demonstrates that it is not a particularly important priority to her that her breasts remain hidden. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I just find it puzzling. Why bother going to such lengths to cover your breasts at other times then, if other people seeing them isn't such a big deal?

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Lots of women manage to breastfeed, but without doing it in public. If it's important to her that her baby is breastfed, and also important that her breasts are not displayed in public, then most of the time she'll be able to find a way. I mean, they're usually resourceful enough to do other things like changing nappies without making it open for the public to see - I don't imagine it's much more difficult for breastfeeding.

True. My point is not in reference to these women, who are still trying to cover their breasts.

I refer you to a prior poster's comments about expressing being counter-productive to long-term breastfeeding. Using bottles can sometimes put babies off breasts altogether.

When breastfeeding has such obvious health benefits we should not be doing anything to discourage women from carrying it out.

Also, you seem to think it's easy and convenient to be discrete but a lot of mother's don't have all the time in the world. Looking after a baby is hard work and they could be working a job as well as caring for other children. Would you rather them use crappy formula because they know they'll never have to show their breasts for their intended purpose?
Reply 62
Original post by madders94
Because toilets are designed, and provided, for peeing.

Cafes and restaurants are designed, and provided, for eating.

Natural human functions, in the place where they're designed to take place. What is so difficult to understand about this?

So what? The point is you shouldn't feel un-comfortable apparently when seeing another's sexual organs in public as long as it is apparently for natural reasons. If you would complain about seeing a man's penis when he was urinating hygienically in public you are a hypocrite.

Original post by Meenglishnogood
would you be uncomfortable eating next to a black woman too? because her right to breastfeed next to you in a public place is enshrined in the same law as a black woman is to sit next to you in a restaurant. so maybe you want to take a good long look at yourself.

This is just stupid and doesn't warrant a reply. I mention i wouldn't like a woman breastfeeding next to me in a public (especially when eating) and you trying bringing race into it?

Original post by madders94
If you wouldn't eat your dinner in a toilet, it's unreasonable to expect a baby to. There is nothing more to it.

The woman has no responsibility nor reason to make you feel comfortable. You have legs - you can get up and move away if it bothers you that much. She has a right to be there and breastfeed every bit as much as you have the right to sit there and eat. If you're the one who feels uncomfortable, the onus is on you to fix it.

But like said, then men could surely wonder around peeing freely down drains and women have no right to complain and men freely getting their penises out in public? Needing a wee is natural and its not un-hygienic if it is straight down a drain.

She has the right to be there and do it, i would have the right to voice my opinion on her doing it. Also comparing breastfeeding and a dinner is ridiculous, if i was to eat a dinner in a toilet i wouldn't be breastfeeding i would need knives forks plates etc. which would all likely get germs on them in a toilet. A nipple wouldn't.
Original post by Toaster Leavings
A racist employer also legally can't discriminate against races he doesn't like. This is why we need dickhead-proof laws in place because people have retarded views like breastfeeding being a shameful act.

Women have the right to breast feed in public.
Us citizens have the right to carry arms.
US citizens do not have the right to discriminate on the basis of race.

If a shop owner can suppress customers right to carry arms, he or she should be able to suppress the customer right to breastfeed.
I'm sure it does take more effort. However, many women would be perfectly happy to make that effort, because they would prefer it to having their breasts visible in public.

The fact that a woman breastfeeds in public, even when alternative (albeit perhaps less convenient) options are available to ensure their child is properly fed, demonstrates that it is not a particularly important priority to her that her breasts remain hidden. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, I just find it puzzling. Why bother going to such lengths to cover your breasts at other times then, if other people seeing them isn't such a big deal?

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Lots of women manage to breastfeed, but without doing it in public. If it's important to her that her baby is breastfed, and also important that her breasts are not displayed in public, then most of the time she'll be able to find a way. I mean, they're usually resourceful enough to do other things like changing nappies without making it open for the public to see - I don't imagine it's much more difficult for breastfeeding.

True. My point is not in reference to these women, who are still trying to cover their breasts.

the best way to feed your baby is straight from the breast as and when it needs it. it sounds like its less 'convienent' for you
but so what. if you have some neurotic issue with womens breasts, then you can go elsewhere. in the same way if you had some issue with black people you could also go elsewhere. her legal right is to breastfeed in public without discrimination or abuse and harrassment. if you cant abide by uk laws, then you should be in a country which approves of discrimination
Original post by Miel Purple
It's not nice to be called fat.....I think she overeacted.

The word slut has the potential to be damaging and cruel but no need to cry hard about it especially as they were from strangers who she shouldn't give a dam about.

See the post regarding sensitivity after having a baby. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
Women have the right to breast feed in public.
Us citizens have the right to carry arms.
US citizens do not have the right to discriminate on the basis of race.

If a shop owner can suppress customers right to carry arms, he or she should be able to suppress the customer right to breastfeed.

This happened in London not the US.

And don't be such an obvious retarded troll. Weapons are designed to harm. What are breasts for? Feeding babies. It is not remotely reasonable to treat the two as comparable.
Original post by JG1233
But like said, then men could surely wonder around peeing freely down drains and women have no right to complain and men freely getting their penises out in public? Needing a wee is natural and its not un-hygienic if it is straight down a drain.

She has the right to be there and do it, i would have the right to voice my opinion on her doing it. Also comparing breastfeeding and a dinner is ridiculous, if i was to eat a dinner in a toilet i wouldn't be breastfeeding i would need knives forks plates etc. which would all likely get germs on them in a toilet. A nipple wouldn't.

BREASTS ARE NOT SEXUAL ORGANS.

They are body parts which have no sexual purpose (so completely different to a penis or vagina), but have somehow over the years had some kind of sexual attraction bestowed upon them. That isn't the fault of the breastfeeding mother or the baby. If the spectator can't get away from the idea of breasts being sexual, then they need to grow up and get the hell over it.

It isn't ridiculous to compare breastfeeding to dinner. Why should the woman need to sit in a toilet for half an hour or more, taking up a cubicle, dragging all her bags and a puschair and anything else she needs for the baby into the toilet, when she could easily feed a baby at the table without offending anyone but those who choose to be offended.

I honestly wouldn't care if I saw someone peeing in the street. I wouldn't do it myself, but if it bugged me, I'd look away. What's so difficult about that? Why does the woman owe it to you to take herself to dirty, smelly, unhygenic toilets for a long period of time, just so that you can stare at people in the restaurant without being offended by what they're doing privately?
Disgraceful behaviour. There is absolutely nothing wrong with breast-feeding in public. She is being a bit melodramatic about it though, I guess it makes for a good blog post and a few hundred quid from the Mail though.
Reply 69
Why is it that some of you feel uncomfortable about a woman breast feeding near you? Is it really that disgusting seeing a woman feed her own child (which she's supposed to do), or are you just terrified that you'll get an erection over seeing a bit of boob? :rolleyes:
Original post by scrotgrot
Disgraceful behaviour. There is absolutely nothing wrong with breast-feeding in public. She is being a bit melodramatic about it though, I guess it makes for a good blog post and a few hundred quid from the Mail though.

Lol this is true. At least it sparked a debate I suppose.
I refer you to a prior poster's comments about expressing being counter-productive to long-term breastfeeding. Using bottles can sometimes put babies off breasts altogether.

When breastfeeding has such obvious health benefits we should not be doing anything to discourage women from carrying it out.

Also, you seem to think it's easy and convenient to be discrete but a lot of mother's don't have all the time in the world. Looking after a baby is hard work and they could be working a job as well as caring for other children. Would you rather them use crappy formula because they know they'll never have to show their breasts for their intended purpose?

What "I would rather" is not relevant, it's not up to me, and I don't really care to be honest.

I'm just commenting on how strange the situation is. As I said, some women will raise perfectly healthy children without ever showing their breasts in public, even if that's difficult or inconvenient for them. Other than sacrificing the health of their child, they would pretty much do whatever it takes to ensure their breasts remain hidden.

Others won't, which demonstrates that for them, covering their breasts isn't as high up on their list of priorities. But then if that's the case, I don't see why they feel the need to make such an effort to cover their breasts at all other times. What's the big deal if the public sees them, when many members of the public already have? It seems a bit inconsistent.
(edited 9 years ago)
the best way to feed your baby is straight from the breast as and when it needs it. it sounds like its less 'convienent' for you
but so what. if you have some neurotic issue with womens breasts, then you can go elsewhere. in the same way if you had some issue with black people you could also go elsewhere. her legal right is to breastfeed in public without discrimination or abuse and harrassment. if you cant abide by uk laws, then you should be in a country which approves of discrimination

What makes you think I have some kind of personal issue with it? :s-smilie:
You seem to be debating against someone else's points, not mine,
See my post above.
(edited 9 years ago)
What "I would rather" is not relevant, it's not up to me, and I don't really care to be honest.

I'm just commenting on how strange the situation is. As I said, some women will raise perfectly healthy children without ever showing their breasts in public, even if that's difficult or inconvenient for them. Other than sacrificing the health of their child, they would pretty much do whatever it takes to ensure their breasts remain hidden.

Others won't, which demonstrates that for them, covering their breasts isn't as high up on their list of priorities. But then if that's the case, I don't see why they feel the need to make such an effort to cover their breasts at all other times. What's the big deal if the public sees them, when many members of the public already have? It seems a bit inconsistent.

Well that's not up to them is it. We're told it's shameful to get our breasts out unless we're breastfeeding when it's necessary to feed a baby. That's not necessarily "right", seeing as men can walk around topless but men get turned on by tits (and I suppose also wearing a bra is actually more comfortable most of the time) so that's that.
(edited 9 years ago)
What makes you think I have some kind of personal issue with it? :s-smilie:
You seem to be debating against someone else's points, not mine,
See my post above.

from reading your post. i have no issue with a woman taking out here breast to feed her child- but then i have no repressed neuroses about women.
I'd like to point out that for elderly people, 'slut' means dirty. They probably weren't making a sexual comment, just admonishing her for exposing herself in public.

I'm not supporting this couple, but there needs to be some clarification on the meaning of the term slut.
Original post by Shady778
I don't personally think there's anything wrong with it at all, but all im saying is that there are people out there( vast number) who potentially come from ethical or religious backgrounds, who may not want children their young children to have to witness it. I'm talking more about ages where they've past breastfeeding stage and are still too young to understand fully as to what is happening. ( maybe I sound a misogynist, but i'm really not trying to as i'm not )

No, no I get where you are coming from, you don't sound like a misogynist :tongue:.

There are people like that, I just don't agree with pandering to their prejudice to be honest. Women shouldn't have to breastfeed in a toilet or never go out because of other's ignorance and weird attitudes.

And yes children might not understand, but I don't see how seeing a woman breastfeeding could possibly be harmful to them. I do not think they would see this as sexual activity unless adults give them that idea - eg: by acting as though breastfeeding should take place behind closed doors! The only confusing message is that a woman feeding her baby naturally is embarassing, sexual or otherwise wrong. Can't control the ideas that parents will give their kids, but there's no reason to pander to those ideas by failing to defend breast feeding as a normal activity that can take place in public.
Well that's not up to them is it. We're told it's shameful to get our breasts out unless we're breastfeeding when it's necessary to feed a baby.

But then, clearly plenty of people would say it's shameful to expose one's breasts to the public, even if it is for the purpose of breastfeeding. But if that doesn't stop them from doing it, if they're impervious to what other people consider as "shameful", then I don't really see why they'd bother making it a priority to cover their breasts in public at other times.

The fact of the matter is, there is some inconsistency. Seeing someone's breasts just before a child drinks from it, and seeing someone's breasts just in general, are not really all that different - yet they're treated very differently.
from reading your post. i have no issue with a woman taking out here breast to feed her child- but then i have no repressed neuroses about women.

Neither do I.

You must have read what you wanted to read, rather than the literal meaning of what I actually wrote. You won't find one instance of me expressing my own preferences over whether women breastfeed in public or not, other than when I said "I don't really care".
(edited 9 years ago)
Neither do I.

You must have read what you wanted to read, rather than the literal meaning of what I actually wrote. You won't find one instance of me expressing my own preferences over whether women breastfeed in public or not.

If thats actually true then you should have no issue with women breast feeding, which makes your post all the more illogical

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending