The Student Room Group

ISIS in Iraq megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by felamaslen
No, like Germany, France and Japan.

Germany, France and Japan are pretty different to Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq.

The countries you mention don't believe in liberal democracy on the whole, unfortunately. Best we can do with them at the moment is contain them and accept freedom-loving refugees from them.

So what is to happen to the country which has been bombed and is now full of radicalised, anti-Western, freedom-hating extremists?

Give them McDonald's, Starbucks and iPhones and wait?
Original post by Stalin
Germany, France and Japan are pretty different to Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq.

All have been tyrannies. The first three are no longer tyrannies. If the people in the last three countries stop believing in ridiculous ideas, they will improve.

So what is to happen to the country which has been bombed and is now full of radicalised, anti-Western, freedom-hating extremists?

Give them McDonald's, Starbucks and iPhones and wait?

Anti-Western ideas exist and have existed since the West existed. The answer is to fight the people who fight for those ideas, and promote freedom and democracy. The only argument is over how best to do this. Sometimes military engagement is necessary, other times it is harmful. Above all, people need to abandon their crazy ideas like Communism, Fascism and Islamism, if the world is to be at peace and if people are to prosper.
Most of Europe. Japan. Korea. A few other places.

What's your stance on hate speech? Do you think it shouldn't be allowed?

You don't understand. I want to stop tyrants from telling other people how they are supposed to behave. I.e. I want the world to be full of societies where people are not told how they are supposed to behave. It is perverse and actually quite hilarious of you to twist the argument around and say that enforcing liberty is equivalent to reducing it. Freedom is slavery in your mind, perhaps. Maybe you should read 1984.

We've had this conversation before.

The day you start "stopping tyrants from telling other people how they are supposed to behave" is the day you become a hypocrite.
Original post by james1211
I agree the Kurds should have autonomy.

no, independence.
All have been tyrannies. The first three are no longer tyrannies. If the people in the last three countries stop believing in ridiculous ideas, they will improve.

All had educated populations, universities, et cetera. Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq aren't quite the same - Islam is rooted in society because it is more than a mere ideology like Communism or Fascism.

Good luck turning Afghanistan into a democracy.

Anti-Western ideas exist and have existed since the West existed. The answer is to fight the people who fight for those ideas, and promote freedom and democracy. The only argument is over how best to do this. Sometimes military engagement is necessary, other times it is harmful. Above all, people need to abandon their crazy ideas like Communism, Fascism and Islamism, if the world is to be at peace and if people are to prosper.

Bush and Blair had the same thought - it's called spreading democracy through the barrel of a gun, and they've done a sublime job in Afghanistan and Iraq!
Original post by tsr1269
What's your stance on hate speech? Do you think it shouldn't be allowed?

What on Earth has this got to do with anything, may I ask?

For the record, I think almost all, if not all speech should be allowed. Possibly with rare exceptions. Inciting violence for example.

We've had this conversation before.

The day you start "stopping tyrants from telling other people how they are supposed to behave" is the day you become a hypocrite.

What an utterly absurd and contemptible statement to make.

This is no different from saying that anybody who catches a rapist and prevents him from raping more people is being a hypocrite.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Stalin
All had educated populations, universities, et cetera. Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq aren't quite the same - Islam is rooted in society because it is more than a mere ideology like Communism or Fascism.

Good luck turning Afghanistan into a democracy.

Not true. Afghanistan was much freer than it is now in the 70s. Nothing happened to all the people which is not reversible. You are contemptuous and condescending of Afghans if you think this. I don't mind if people carry on believing in Islam - it is the political ideology which needs to be removed, not the harmless religious traditions and beliefs.

Bush and Blair had the same thought - it's called spreading democracy through the barrel of a gun, and they've done a sublime job in Afghanistan and Iraq!

Your argument is a fallacy. You are saying that because somebody did a poor job of something, therefore their (stated) mission was impossible from the get-go. This is obviously wrong; how can you not see that?
Wahabis and shias will soon kill each other off
What on Earth has this got to do with anything, may I ask?

For the record, I think almost all, if not all speech should be allowed. Possibly with rare exceptions. Inciting violence for example.

Yet many liberal democracies have enacted legislation prohibiting this which puts it at odds with your interpretation of a liberal democracy. Can we cross these countries off your list of "liberal democracies"?

What an utterly absurd and contemptible statement to make.

In your opinion...

This is no different from saying that anybody who catches a rapist and prevents him from raping more people is being a hypocrite.

Sonny, you have it wrong:

If a man says that people shouldn't rape, and then he goes and rape, he is a hypocrite.

If a man says people should rape, and then he doesn't go and rape, he is a hypocrite.

Maybe you should take a moment to digest what I have written before penning absolute crap, eh?
Original post by farrisraza
Wahabis and shias will soon kill each other off

What you sayn about shias fam?

xx

however hard you try to turn afghanistan into a democracy, i will never happen. even if you forcefully impose it, it will just collapse sooner or later. the majority of the afghan people yearn for an islamic state. not the one that the taliban imposed (which they even admitted that they made certain mistakes), but a proper one with peace, education and justice
Original post by Mo_maths
What you sayn about shias fam?

Shias are alright, aslong as all wahabis are dead I am happy
Original post by tsr1269
Yet many liberal democracies have enacted legislation prohibiting this which puts it at odds with your interpretation of a liberal democracy. Can we cross these countries off your list of "liberal democracies"?

No, because I allow some tolerance.

In your opinion...

It wouldn't be anybody else's opinion, would it.

Sonny, you have it wrong:

If a man says that people shouldn't rape, and then he goes and rape, he is a hypocrite.

If a man says people should rape, and then he doesn't go and rape, he is a hypocrite.

Maybe you should take a moment to digest what I have written before penning absolute crap, eh?

So in your opinion, helping people = raping them.

Goodbye and good mental health.
Original post by presidential_
however hard you try to turn afghanistan into a democracy, i will never happen. even if you forcefully impose it, it will just collapse sooner or later. the majority of the afghan people yearn for an islamic state. not the one that the taliban imposed (which they even admitted that they made certain mistakes), but a proper one with peace, education and justice

As long as they yearn for an Islamic state then Afghanistan will remain unfree and impoverished, and of course part of the battle (the main part, in fact) is getting people to abandon their harmful beliefs. But perhaps you are right and there is no hope at all for Afghanistan. In that case, the West's mission should be simply to contain the country and prevent the Taliban from gaining any power.
Almost 300 ISIS Terrorists have been killed by Iraqi Authorities in the past 24 hours.
Original post by Enoxial
Almost 300 ISIS Terrorists have been killed by Iraqi Authorities in the past 24 hours.

source
Original post by imlosingmyhead
I do not believe Al Qaeda had anything to do with flying planes into tall buildings.The West far from 'helped' Sunni Muslims get the Soviets out of Afghanistan, the West used the Muslims as pawns to get rid of the Soviets.'You have got to be out of your mind to think ISIS et al are friendly to the west and will bring justice to criminals who commit war crimes and international terrorism.' I don't really get what that means to imply. You mean to say that you are 100% sure of ISIL's intentions, and that what you think they will do is what they will do?'People have the right to self determination. If they want a unified Islamic state that is fine, but it would be naïve to think that the outcome and consequences would be peaceful for Britain regardless of whether we intervened.' I agree. This is a war and there are 2 sides to it. You choose your side, I choose mine. That doesn't mean your side is any more correct than mine, nor the other way round. It simply means that this is a good old-fashioned, human war.
I only wish US would fight it like a, "good old fashioned human war".
Not true. Afghanistan was much freer than it is now in the 70s. Nothing happened to all the people which is not reversible. You are contemptuous and condescending of Afghans if you think this. I don't mind if people carry on believing in Islam - it is the political ideology which needs to be removed, not the harmless religious traditions and beliefs.

Actually, something important occurred: the US government radicalised the population, telling them to embrace Islam to the fullest because the Soviet-backed government was implementing Communism.

The problem with Islam, like any religion in a backward country, is that it goes hand-in-hand with politics. To remove it would require an educated population, institutions which uphold democracy, et cetera - but we're a long way from that.

Your argument is a fallacy. You are saying that because somebody did a poor job of something, therefore their (stated) mission was impossible from the get-go. This is obviously wrong; how can you not see that?

Iraq isn't the only example. Take a look at Afghanistan and Libya. Egypt and Syria serve as other examples of failed revolutions.

The campaign in Iraq was, and still is, plagued with so many stupid decisions; decisions which have left hundreds of thousands of people dead, and millions of people displaced; decisions which continue to divide the country and cause chaos eleven years after the intervention.

So, Captain Interventionism, when will Iraq become this flourishing, beacon of democracy that the world was promised? Will it take more time? Another eleven years? More? What about Afghanistan? What is to happen to the country when ISAF pack their bags and return home? Are we to expect the Afghan National Army to contain the Taliban? And when will the brigades in Libya put down their arms and join in their wonderful democracy? After all, Gaddafi was the issue here, right? But he's been gone for almost three years and still the country is run by armed groups, who are quite happy to kidnap the President simply because they can.

"You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs" - in this case, you haven't made an omelette, you've just broken some eggs, and seek to continue doing so because eventually you'll get at least one of these interventions right, right? One of these interventions will succeed, whereby the country you've decimated will become free and happy?

Wishful thinking, and everyone knows it. But still Blair, the Middle East Peace Envoy, continues to spew this mantra, and people like you continue to believe that you can give people democracy by bombing them.
Reply 398
Was what happened in Iraq under Saddam really worse than what's happened over the last 10 years? Saddam may have been an evil dictator, as may Assad, but it seems they may be the lesser of two evils, and at least they provided relative stability. It certainly seems naive on the part of the West to have provided arms to rebels in Syria.
Original post by Stalin
Actually, something important occurred: the US government radicalised the population, telling them to embrace Islam to the fullest because the Soviet-backed government was implementing Communism.

The problem with Islam, like any religion in a backward country, is that it goes hand-in-hand with politics. To remove it would require an educated population, institutions which uphold democracy, et cetera - but we're a long way from that.

Actually, the US government merely backed the mujahideen fighters, which was a short-sighted move but not calculated to "radicalise the population". You are very near arguing a "the devil made them do it" fallacy here. The responsibility for the belief in Sharia lies with the people who believe in Sharia, not the US government for some anti-Soviet policy thirty-odd years ago. Come on.

Again, religion does not have to go hand-in-hand with politics. Why would it be impossible to introduce a secular regime in Afghanistan which is liberal, democratic and has free speech? What is so impossible about that goal? Moreover, you're arguing on a tangent here, because I already admitted that it may be impossible in the particular case of Afghanistan.

Iraq isn't the only example. Take a look at Afghanistan and Libya. Egypt and Syria serve as other examples of failed revolutions.

The campaign in Iraq was, and still is, plagued with so many stupid decisions; decisions which have left hundreds of thousands of people dead, and millions of people displaced; decisions which continue to divide the country and cause chaos eleven years after the intervention.

So, Captain Interventionism, when will Iraq become this flourishing, beacon of democracy that the world was promised? Will it take more time? Another eleven years? More? What about Afghanistan? What is to happen to the country when ISAF pack their bags and return home? Are we to expect the Afghan National Army to contain the Taliban? And when will the brigades in Libya put down their arms and join in their wonderful democracy? After all, Gaddafi was the issue here, right? But he's been gone for almost three years and still the country is run by armed groups, who are quite happy to kidnap the President simply because they can.

"You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs" - in this case, you haven't made an omelette, you've just broken some eggs, and seek to continue doing so because eventually you'll get at least one of these interventions right, right? One of these interventions will succeed, whereby the country you've decimated will become free and happy?

Wishful thinking, and everyone knows it. But still Blair, the Middle East Peace Envoy, continues to spew this mantra, and people like you continue to believe that you can give people democracy by bombing them.

You just totally missed the point. When did I ever argue that the intervention in Iraq was a success? When did I deny the mistakes of the coalition? When did I mention omelettes and eggs? When did I say that you could give people democracy by bombing them?

Take your argument elsewhere if you're not willing to argue against my actual point.

You are just a pessimist who has no hope for the world. I am an optimist who believes the unfree world can be liberated within the century, if we try hard enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending