The Student Room Group

ISIS in Iraq megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Enoxial
Almost 300 ISIS terrorists have been killed by the Iraqi Army in the past few hours.

Source plz.
This is all Americas and Britain's fault, I feel sorry for the innocent people in Iraq. Then they wonder why things like 9/11 occur. It was clearly deserved.
Reply 782
Call the KSIS or State of Bagdadhi calling then the islamic state makes me reeeeally uncomfortable.
Original post by GPODT
ISIS is an actual state; albeit, an internationally unrecognised state. They would pose a serious threat to British soldiers and Britain would suffer many casualties; that is not even mentioning the reprisal attacks that will definitely occur in Britain if the government does dispatch the army.

I really dislike opinions like this. It's just weak on defence and essentially being held to ransom by militants. We've got to do what we think is best, regardless of any consequences. We in the West will determine how events are going to play out, not anyone else. I'd support Obama if he decides to air strike. I'd support Western troops as well, but I think that should be a last resort, and I think Obama is the most reluctant President the US could have in terms of troop deployment, it's certainly an unpopular opinion.

Those that say "leave them to it" are just pathetic as well. In an ever more globalised world you can't just sit inside your own borders and hope the problems will go away. I saw those ISIS photos on the BBC, it reminded me of photos I'd seen during the Holocaust with the people lying in the graves waiting to be executed. Now is the time for a Western intervention.
Reply 784
As long as the West supports people like AlMALIKI who cannot even manage a primary school, these events will surely happen again and again.
Reply 785
To kill inocent people??!! Ha..
Is this a joke or is it real?

Big brother is real and called MI5.

You and your family may now find yourself a target for observation, I'm sure they are well aware of TSR and are using it as a source of information and intelligence gathering.

Be careful what you wish for, even if it is in jest.

EDIT: and to prove a point, the OP I am referring to has vanished into to thin air within minutes!
(edited 9 years ago)
The only reason the West want to get involved is an underlying feeling of guilt. The West invaded Iraq and loads of people were killed. I'd give a figure but who can honestly say they know it? Now we have British born Muslims going to fight there and they're a reaction to the initial action taken by Western governments. This was always going to happen and I said years ago that this wouldn't be the end of things and it'll only get worse. Now the British government is petrified that these people may carry out attacks on Britain or send people back in to brainwash others through speeches. This is one of the fundamental reasons I'm voting UKIP. I feel betrayed by Labour over Iraq. I disagree with Nick Clegg wanting action in Syria and Cameron is just an appeaser. We need to stop getting involved in other countries. Our military should be a defence unit, not an intervention unit.

The writing was on the wall many years ago and this is only the beginning of the true problems.
Original post by Eboracum

Those that say "leave them to it" are just pathetic as well. In an ever more globalised world you can't just sit inside your own borders and hope the problems will go away.

This is a backlash to the actions of the west. We continuously stick our nose into other countries affairs trying to police the world and do as we please with our big old friends the USA and now we are seeing the consequences of our actions.

Now is the time for a Western intervention.

No it is not. We will only make things worse to the point where a major reaction will occur and we will lose lives again in the UK in an attack.
Reply 789
The US has spent over $2 trillion dollars on Iraq. What good has this done apart from destabilising the country, losing thousands of American lives and removing Iran's strongest regional enemy? Even the US trained Iraqi army was purged by Maliki, showing how ineffective and distrustful the Iraqi government is (just like South Vietnam).

ISIS are the Viet Cong of Iraq. They are very brutal and seek to exterminate all opposition, yet they claim to fight for their land. They have lots of support across the country, as well as in Syria, and seek to take power in a similar manner to the Bolsheviks in Russia (i.e. spreading forces throughout the country, using violence to coerce others to join them).

Ultimately if the Iraqis want to live under Sharia Law, let them. The west has fought a long and expensive war based on lies. It is time for America to not only leave Iraq but also the Middle East. They can then do whatever the hell they want but the west should not intervene and instead should focus on protecting their own borders.

Apologies for the moral relativism, of course I'm going to hell for not being a great idealistic figure like Tony Blair :wink:
Reply 790
Original post by TheSweatyNerd
This is all Americas and Britain's fault, I feel sorry for the innocent people in Iraq. Then they wonder why things like 9/11 occur. It was clearly deserved.

No terrorist attack should ever be sanctioned

Whether an individual, be it a president, military or corporate leader, should be condemned for wars and aggression is up to debate. However killing innocent civilians is of the utmost repugnance and cowardice.

The Islamic fundamentalists who staged 9/11, as well as the typical Palestinian suicide bomber, are cowards for targeting innocent civilians based on the actions of their politicians.

I feel sorry for the innocent people across the world who suffer because of religious extremism, fringe ideologies and corporate greed.
Reply 791
Original post by Ganhad
Call the KSIS or State of Bagdadhi calling then the islamic state makes me reeeeally uncomfortable.

They identify as Muslim, they fight in the name of Allah and they seek to impose Islamic laws on the secular nations of Iraq and Syria.

What are they other than Muslim? Were the Crusaders and Conquistadors not Christian?
Original post by Kurama
No terrorist attack should ever be sanctioned

Whether an individual, be it a president, military or corporate leader, should be condemned for wars and aggression is up to debate. However killing innocent civilians is of the utmost repugnance and cowardice.

The Islamic fundamentalists who staged 9/11, as well as the typical Palestinian suicide bomber, are cowards for targeting innocent civilians based on the actions of their politicians.

I feel sorry for the innocent people across the world who suffer because of religious extremism, fringe ideologies and corporate greed.

But there were only Islamic fundamentalists because of America and Britain. They disposed of Iran's democratic government and replaced him with a dictator at mid 1950's. America supported Saddam Hussein for so long and provided him weapons to kill hundreds of thousands of innocent Iranians. I won't even get on to the fact America supported the taliban and they were initially set up to disrupt other countries. America is just a bigger, more powerful version of the Taliban with less idyllic views.
Reply 793
But there were only Islamic fundamentalists because of America and Britain. They disposed of Iran's democratic government and replaced him with a dictator at mid 1950's. America supported Saddam Hussein for so long and provided him weapons to kill hundreds of thousands of innocent Iranians. I won't even get on to the fact America supported the taliban and they were initially set up to disrupt other countries. America is just a bigger, more powerful version of the Taliban with less idyllic views.

I completely deplore American and British activities in the Middle East, they should not be there in the first place, but it is irrefutable that Islamic fundamentalism has existed long before the creation of either America or Britain. Religious wars have been waged for centuries, 9/11 is not only a result of American-British imperialism but of violent Islamic jihad.

Saying that 9/11 had nothing to do with Islam is like saying that the Crusades had nothing to do with Christianity.
Original post by Kurama
I completely deplore American and British activities in the Middle East, they should not be there in the first place, but it is irrefutable that Islamic fundamentalism has existed long before the creation of either America or Britain. Religious wars have been waged for centuries, 9/11 is not only a result of American-British imperialism but of violent Islamic jihad.

Saying that 9/11 had nothing to do with Islam is like saying that the Crusades had nothing to do with Christianity.

But again, Islam was starting to modernise like Christianity until Britain and America got involved. 9/11 happened for a number of reasons and Islam is a part of it. The main reason is because America deserved it. When you destroy someones country and kill their family you will always create enemies that will replicate things like 9/11, Islam or not.
Reply 795
But again, Islam was starting to modernise like Christianity until Britain and America got involved. 9/11 happened for a number of reasons and Islam is a part of it. The main reason is because America deserved it. When you destroy someones country and kill their family you will always create enemies that will replicate things like 9/11, Islam or not.

I agree with what you say, though I cannot provide the judgement that America deserved to be attacked.

There are truly evil people in every country who contribute to pain and they should be brought to justice, preferably not by assassination but through an independent court, but to condemn a whole nation and people for the actions of their politicians is unfair.

Whether it's America, Iran or North Korea, one should condemn the regime, not the country and people.
Original post by Kurama
I agree with what you say, though I cannot provide the judgement that America deserved to be attacked.

There are truly evil people in every country who contribute to pain and they should be brought to justice, preferably not by assassination but through an independent court, but to condemn a whole nation and people for the actions of their politicians is unfair.

Whether its America, Iran or North Korea, one should condemn the regime, not the country and people.

There is no way the middle eastern countries could have obtained justice legally. I'm not trying to say killing innocent people is right because two wrongs don't make a right. However, America as a whole deserved it but obviously the innocent people didn't.
Original post by Sanctimonious
This is a backlash to the actions of the west. We continuously stick our nose into other countries affairs trying to police the world and do as we please with our big old friends the USA and now we are seeing the consequences of our actions.

No it is not. We will only make things worse to the point where a major reaction will occur and we will lose lives again in the UK in an attack.

Again you're opinions just show that you are weak on defence and that you essentially are happy to negotiate with militants. I will never apologise for Western foreign policy. If Western troops have to go to Middle Eastern nations then so be it. It's right to get involved in other countries affairs when the situation permits it. Sovereignty is an abstract concept, you violate your sovereignty if you commit mass atrocities or put others in danger. The USA are a great nation, there will always be a hegemon in International Relations, and if it can't be the UK or the EU I'd rather it be the USA than anybody else.

Again, we'll do what we feel is best, regardless of the consequences. If new fighters rise up we'll confront them and so on. We will determine our own policy, not militants. Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, and protected, and handed on to the next generation to do the same. Simply put, West is Best, most of our interventions have been successful.
Original post by Eboracum
Again you're opinions just show that you are weak on defence and that you essentially are happy to negotiate with militants.

Nobody mentioned negotiating with them.

I will never apologise for Western foreign policy.

Not even if its wrong? Disgusting. We should own up to our mistakes in regard to any policy including foreign policy.

If Western troops have to go to Middle Eastern nations then so be it. It's right to get involved in other countries affairs when the situation permits it. Sovereignty is an abstract concept, you violate your sovereignty if you commit mass atrocities or put others in danger. The USA are a great nation, there will always be a hegemon in International Relations, and if it can't be the UK or the EU I'd rather it be the USA than anybody else.

Again, we'll do what we feel is best, regardless of the consequences. If new fighters rise up we'll confront them and so on. We will determine our own policy, not militants. Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, and protected, and handed on to the next generation to do the same. Simply put, West is Best, most of our interventions have been successful.

You sound brainwashed beyond belief like one of those deluded patriotic Americans that stands outside screaming 'GOD BLESS AMERICA'.

Im not for intervening or negotiating. I am for leaving them be. Let them do what they please in their own countries but the moment they come and infringe on our island we obliterate them. We then go from being the initial action to the reaction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending