The Student Room Group

Pretty girls have it the hardest.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mother Teresa
I'm sure many of you will disagree with me however if you bear with me I'm sure I can help you see the truth of it.

1. Pretty girls are constantly surrounded by people who want to be with them just for the looks and not for their personality or intelligence. Therefore less attractive people are always out to get them with their ulterior motives.

I don't think people you consider "less attractive" really care that much. If these "less attractive" people do have it easier, surely they'll be happy about that. And in any case, I think that the "less attractive" people will simply have their own group of friends. They don't need to constantly be plotting against the "pretty girls".

2. Difficult to form friendships with other girls. I cannot stress this point enough, often you'll notice average girls hating on beautiful girls. They're jealous and they are threatened by a female who is superior in every possible way. So it can be a lonely world if you're pretty.

How are the "pretty" girls more superior? Superiority can be defined in a number of ways. Some people feel intelligence makes you superior, or personality, or looks. So other people with other strengths probably won't be threatened at all.

3. In the same ilk insecure guys will label pretty girls as sluts or whores simply because they've been rejected one time too many by a pretty girl.

It's not just insecure guys that label others. Many people labels. In fact the pretty girls might even label others themselves. And who cares? It's not like it's going to harm the "pretty" girls in any way.

4. It can be hard to find someone as pretty as you so you might have to compromise on looks more often than not.

Convinced?

Why do looks have to be so important? Some gorgeous girl might not even want a guy with good looks. She might prefer a guy who has similar interests. So I don't think they'll have to compromise in any way. I don't think many people choose their partner based on how they compare to them in terms of looks.
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
I don't think people you consider "less attractive" really care that much. If these "less attractive" people do have it easier, surely they'll be happy about that. And in any case, I think that the "less attractive" people will simply have their own group of friends. They don't need to constantly be plotting against the "pretty girls".

I didn't say that less attractive girls were out to get the pretty girls however they do often try to attach themselves to a pretty person. I've had numerous friendships with girls that I at least considered friends only to find out that the friendship was based on nothing short of a lie when I thought I could count on them. You'll notice this when you're in a social gathering place a pretty girl(s) with less attractive, shall we say alternatives(s), hanging on their every word.

The insecurity of the less attractive girls drives them to sabotage the pretty girls when they feel it's their moment in the sun. Of course they usually end up falling on their own ego but that's besides the point.

How are the "pretty" girls more superior? Superiority can be defined in a number of ways. Some people feel intelligence makes you superior, or personality, or looks. So other people with other strengths probably won't be threatened at all.

This is a false dichotomy. A pretty girl can be smart. In the same way that smart people can learn to employ several techniques to appear more beautiful, in my experience at least.

You cannot deny that insecurity gets in the way of true friendship. Less attractive girls usually don't even talk to their prettier peers because they are either jealous and want to appear nonchalant or because they're nervous to talk to a prettier female for a number reasons. I think the latter is unfair, some girls can be bitchy that's a given but assuming that because a girl is pretty that she's a bitch. Well...

It's not just insecure guys that label others. Many people labels. In fact the pretty girls might even label others themselves. And who cares? It's not like it's going to harm the "pretty" girls in any way.

I'm sure it does, if someone called me a slut I'd be offended. Even if I formed friendships with guys they will talk about the firendzone to their friends and call me frigid for not putting out. And the other girls don't want to be my friend because I intimidate them. Pretty girls have a real conundrum when it comes to friends. I'm lucky to have had the same friends over 10 years now.

Why do looks have to be so important? Some gorgeous girl might not even want a guy with good looks. She might prefer a guy who has similar interests. So I don't think they'll have to compromise in any way. I don't think many people choose their partner based on how they compare to them in terms of looks.

I think you'd be surprised with how many would-be relationships end up down the drain because of superficial reasons like little habits to looks. Looks matter a great deal, perhaps more to guys than girls but they matter.
(edited 9 years ago)
I didn't say that less attractive girls were out to get the pretty girls however they do often try to attach themselves to a pretty person. I've had numerous friendships with girls that I at least considered friends only to find out that the friendship was based on nothing short of a lie when I thought I could count on them. You'll notice this when you're in a social gathering place a pretty girl(s) with less attractive, shall we say alternatives(s), hanging on their every word.

The insecurity of the less attractive girls drives them to sabotage the pretty girls when they feel it's their moment in the sun. Of course they usually end up falling on their own ego but that's besides the point.

"Therefore less attractive people are always out to get them with their ulterior motives" <---- You actually did say the less attractive people are out to get the pretty people.

No less attractive people really don't care about what pretty people get up to. We don't hang on the every word of a pretty person, and we certainly don't try to sabotage them. We simply don't care.

This is a false dichotomy. A pretty girl can be smart. In the same way that smart people can learn to employ several techniques to appear more beautiful, in my experience at least.

You cannot deny that insecurity gets in the way of true friendship. Less attractive girls usually don't even talk to their prettier peers because they are either jealous and want to appear nonchalant or because they're nervous to talk to a prettier female for a number reasons. I think the latter is unfair, some girls can be bitchy that's a given but assuming that because a girl is pretty that she's a bitch. Well...

I never said they couldn't be smart. I simply stated that being pretty doesn't make a person superior, and that a number of different factors can make a person superior. It depends on what an individual thinks makes a person superior. In my opinion nothing makes anyone more superior. And why can't a smart person be pretty? They don't have to try to become beautiful.

I don't have to deny it. It's simply not try. Insecurity doesn't have to impact a friendship. I have a number of friends who are far prettier than I am - it doesn't bother me. I'm not hung up about the way everyone else looks. I focus on myself more.

And I didn't say pretty girls are bitchy - I never even stated anything about bitchiness. In any case anyone can be bitchy. Guys, girls, attractive or not.

I'm sure it does, if someone called me a slut I'd be offended. Even if I formed friendships with guys they will talk about the firendzone to their friends and call me frigid for not putting out. And the other girls don't want to be my friend because I intimidate them. Pretty girls have a real conundrum when it comes to friends. I'm lucky to have had the same friends over 10 years now.

Well things like that really don't bother me. But I just don't get offended by the way people perceive me, or what they think of me. I prefer to just be happy with everything else I do, and the way I look.

Pretty girls have a real conundrum when it comes to friends. I'm lucky to have had the same friends over 10 years now.

I think you'd be surprised with how many would-be relationships end up down the drain because of superficial reasons like little habits to looks. Looks matter a great deal, perhaps more to guys than girls but they matter.

10 years is a long time. i'm only friends with a fraction of the people I met that long ago. It's not something pretty girls suffer from. And I wouldn't exactly call it a conundrum.
Reply 103
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think those who wear makeup are pretty. If they have nothing on.. I'll say they're pretty. Makeup is ok i guess but i'm not into foundation :/.. Fake stuff.
I saw @thisgirlemy today.. Search her she looks like a dolly. Irl shes spotty and doesn't have a body like that.. + shes lighter.. This is annoying..
I'm sure many of you will disagree with me however if you bear with me I'm sure I can help you see the truth of it.

1. Pretty girls are constantly surrounded by people who want to be with them just for the looks and not for their personality or intelligence. Therefore less attractive people are always out to get them with their ulterior motives.

2. Difficult to form friendships with other girls. I cannot stress this point enough, often you'll notice average girls hating on beautiful girls. They're jealous and they are threatened by a female who is superior in every possible way. So it can be a lonely world if you're pretty.

3. In the same ilk insecure guys will label pretty girls as sluts or whores simply because they've been rejected one time too many by a pretty girl.

4. It can be hard to find someone as pretty as you so you might have to compromise on looks more often than not.

Convinced?

Don't lump all less attractive girls together as being jealous and 'out to get them'. I, for one, couldn't give less of a damn about pretty girls I study with. Although I agree with it being difficult to form friendships because girls usually are jealous, being pretty doesn't make you 'superior in every possible way', it's just one way.
Some real keyboard warriors on here lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most WaGs are not even pretty. At least not UK WaGs.

Vs.

Getting divorced is never a nice prospect either.

Load of rubbish about the WAGS, the main difference in those two examples is that one footballer is attractive, whilst one is ugly. It doesn't surprise me much that the attractive one attracts the more beautiful WAG. Stating the glaringly obvious there.

And OP, that's bull****. Attractive people have plenty of friends, unless they're conceited.
"Therefore less attractive people are always out to get them with their ulterior motives" <---- You actually did say the less attractive people are out to get the pretty people.

No less attractive people really don't care about what pretty people get up to. We don't hang on the every word of a pretty person, and we certainly don't try to sabotage them. We simply don't care.

I never said they couldn't be smart. I simply stated that being pretty doesn't make a person superior, and that a number of different factors can make a person superior. It depends on what an individual thinks makes a person superior. In my opinion nothing makes anyone more superior. And why can't a smart person be pretty? They don't have to try to become beautiful.

I don't have to deny it. It's simply not try. Insecurity doesn't have to impact a friendship. I have a number of friends who are far prettier than I am - it doesn't bother me. I'm not hung up about the way everyone else looks. I focus on myself more.

And I didn't say pretty girls are bitchy - I never even stated anything about bitchiness. In any case anyone can be bitchy. Guys, girls, attractive or not.

Well things like that really don't bother me. But I just don't get offended by the way people perceive me, or what they think of me. I prefer to just be happy with everything else I do, and the way I look.

10 years is a long time. i'm only friends with a fraction of the people I met that long ago. It's not something pretty girls suffer from. And I wouldn't exactly call it a conundrum.

I agree with everything you say - its annoying me just reading this thread that a pretty girl thinks people are jealous and out to get her when no one really cares about anything of the sort !
Original post by A2_scared
I agree with everything you say - its annoying me just reading this thread that a pretty girl thinks people are jealous and out to get her when no one really cares about anything of the sort !

I agree no less attractive people care what pretty people get up to. I don't think they have a more difficult life because they're good looking.

I agree no less attractive people care what pretty people get up to. I don't think they have a more difficult life because they're good looking.

Oh definitely not.. to me this seems like just another girl thinking they are special in the world...
Reply 110
Are men allowed to vote in this poll?

Because the answer would be a glaringly obvious 'no' to the OP. Pretty girls clearly have it easier.
They do and they don't; they do in the sense that they probably get sexually harassed a lot but at the same time, they probably enjoy a few perks just because they're attractive.
I'd say being an ugly man is playing life on hard difficulty. Followed very closely by ugly women.

Being a beautiful woman would be easy difficulty followed closely by beautiful men.
I somewhat agree - pretty girls are affected by all the points made by the OP, however, I think we're ignoring the many problems faced by the not-so-attractive girls out there. What about the bullying, rejection, envy and lack of confidence surrounding their everyday lives?
:dontknow:
I dont think that looks have a big factor in it. It's all about how big your numberwang is.

i have personally never seen any of the two above points or heard of any except in dramatic contemporary chic-lit kind of books. This sounds more like a one-off situation that, though being "pretty" might have been a contributing factor, is also caused by the girl being shy, reserved, meeting jerky guys etc. I would consider it a 1% of scenarios that a "pretty girl" would face until further evidence.

i personally believe the way you carry yourself and your personality, manner of speaking, academic scores etc. affect your social aspects a lot more. Not only can the ugliest girl in school still come out prettiest with the help of makeup, I think guys are usually attracted to girls who are less shy, or more elegant, or more flirty, rather than visual appearance.

if you consider yourself facing more difficulty in social situations than others because you are prettier, perhaps you might consider it is your arrogance that makes girls/guys hate you? I'm not saying you are, or that this is definite, but it is one possibility...

Because I too have personally got a lot of attention including teasing because I was considered "pretty" . . . in early elementary school. Really, since then personality matters a lot more than visual appearance.

The popular girls at our school are not extremely pretty, nor does a pretty girl have more chance of getting attention / guys / her way in general. The girls I consider popular at my school have similar characteristics of being a.) academically gifted 2.) outgoing and confident.

This topic also depends on how you define "pretty." Considering someone on a beauty scale by looking at a photography of that person in comparison to actually seeing that person in real life is a lot different. A girl you do not consider pretty in photograph can be very beautiful by her confidence and a beautiful smile :wink:

On the other hand we should also consider the bullying that an "ugly" girl would face and the automatic isolation in social situations. However, you might point out that pretty girls can face this situation too. As well as "nerdy" people, or "fat" people, or "sporty" people, or "tomboys" etc - You see, it seems like the victims does not fit into a specific category. Things like "pretty" or "ugly" seems like an excuse to hate on someone. Surely if they know you're a nice, friendly person, this would override your visual appearance? Whether they become nicer to you, of course, depends more on the person themselves. Even if you are not "pretty" they would still dislike you. It rather depends on the person you're facing, rather than the victim (the "pretty" - or "ugly" - girl)
(edited 9 years ago)
Pretty girls have it much easier. It's clear. Respected by guys and envied by girls.

Convinced?

I feel like this is somewhat true. Particularly about the mean girl mentality and the feminist hating guys who moan about women just because of rejection.

Pretty, quiet girls are the most intelligent usually, and for some reason no one wants to be around them - for long anyway. Guess its because the silence makes it awkward to keep talking. Girls who want solace, girls who are quiet but look very sexy, very pretty tend not to experience what you've said. At least that's what I think anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending