The Student Room Group

Chem5 June 2014 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Anyone remember the electrode potentials/equilibria questions.
Is it not the case on the chromium question that one of the electron conifgurations has a 4s2 and the other one doesn't?
Original post by mynameisntbobk
And I think the exothermic question in 1 is wrong. If energy was required, it would be endothermic

Electron affinity is exothermic
Energy is exothermic I think when bonds are broken so your correct in that sense.
I will change it, I made this when someone asked me to give him all my answers then I thought I would just put it on here.
Reply 43
Original post by Studenteffort
Is it not the case on the chromium question that one of the electron conifgurations has a 4s2 and the other one doesn't?

I believe they both do have..

The question was why do both Chromium ions have the same number of d electrons in terms of electronic configuration and something else like that

At first I was baffled at the question but then it said not to focus on the ligands and electrons donated to the chromium, just to focus on chromium so I wrote that despite being in a complex with two different overall charges, the charge on each individual chromium ion is a +3 charge with an electron configuration of 1s1 2s2 sp6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d1 so they both have one d electron...at least that's what I wrote because I didn't know what else it could be.
However I've just found out that the correct configuration is [Ar] 3d3 so really they both have 3 d electrons
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
Wait for the aqua ions why could you not have done NaOH [Cu(H2O)6]2+ + NH3 or OH- is the same reaction and colour when it isn't in excess with Cu?
Reply 45
Original post by danny2014
The question about chromium:

Both had the configuration [Ar] 3d3 because both had the oxidation state +3. The complex ions, however, had different charges due to the Cl- ligand on the second complex ion. The different ligands alters the ΔEso different frequencies of light are absorbed. This means that different frequencies of light are reflected, and so, two different colours are observed.

Isn't the correct configuration [Ar] 4s2 3d1
because if 3d3 then the 4s orbital is empty and the only case I know where you fill the 3d orbital before the 4s is with Scandium and zinc
Reply 46
Original post by ToyinA
Isn't the correct configuration [Ar] 4s2 3d1
because if 3d3 then the 4s orbital is empty and the only case I know where you fill the 3d orbital before the 4s is with Scandium and zinc

It's not a case of which is filled first, when the chromium is ionised the 4s electrons are always lost first so both of those are gone and then one from the 3d sub shell leaving [Ar]3d3
Original post by VigneshSB
Yep, dilute NaOH (or not in excess) will do the same thing. 2OH- goes to 2H20

how about KOH?
Original post by masonh1234
how about KOH?

That would work too :smile: Any soluble hydroxide should work!
Reply 49
Original post by roisin6
It's not a case of which is filled first, when the chromium is ionised the 4s electrons are always lost first so both of those are gone and then one from the 3d sub shell leaving [Ar]3d3

Ohh right, that makes sense lol wish I was taught this or found out earlier
For reagents can you just say Cl- instead of HCl and CO32- rather than Na2CO3??
Reply 51
Original post by MrLegendary
For reagents can you just say Cl- instead of HCl and CO32- rather than Na2CO3??

From past papers I've done, they tend to as for the full name or formula of the reagent
I think you need to put delta H is zero since same number and type of bonds broken and made for the diamine 5 marker
Original post by roisin6

For Cr and Cu this is not the case, remember from chem 1
You had to draw the displayed formula for cisplatin and displayed was in bold so I think you had to show all bonds

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was a question about MgO with P4O10!

Posted from TSR Mobile
idk if someone has already said this but for the SiO2 4 marker,
they asked for the structure (1)
bonding (1)
and two properties of sio2 (2)
Original post by jodie.irwin27
idk if someone has already said this but for the SiO2 4 marker,
they asked for the structure (1)
bonding (1)
and two properties of sio2 (2)

That's what I thought, but properties for what??
Remember what you put?
I didn't write anything about electron configuration!?! How many marks do you think I would have lost if I didn't mention that I just said they had the same number of electrons in their d orbitals

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending