The Student Room Group

The Monarchy vs Republic Megathread - Mk I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Marcum
This question does not concern the monarchy - would you confidently support and recognise the will of the majority if the majority of people backed a deeply fascist and inherently undemocratic political movement?

I'm just curious, I'm not going to reply to your answer.

No. But they are not compareable. It's not as if the monarchy has any real power (if they did then I would have a problem with it).
Original post by gladders
Except that for this new republic to basically say 'your private property was safe under the monarchy, but now in this brave new world, we're setting an early precedent that we can seize it any way we like' doesn't really appeal to many.

But it isn't the Queen's private property. It's the property of the Crown, and if the Crown ceased to exist it would make more sense for those properties to come under public/state ownership since in this country the concepts of 'the Crown' and 'the state' are pretty much analogous.
Original post by Captain Haddock
But it isn't the Queen's private property. It's the property of the Crown, and if the Crown ceased to exist it would make more sense for those properties to come under public/state ownership since in this country the concepts of 'the Crown' and 'the state' are pretty much analogous.

It is in no way as clear cut as you assume it is. Some of it is quite private, and the most that can be said of the rest is that it's in a murky middle-ground, partly private, partly public, partly public-for-private-use, and so on. There's a reason there's been no single court ruling coming down on one side or the other - it's simply too big an effort for something that, right now, matters so little.

You could use Parliament to legislate that it is absolutely all theirs, but that remains no fairer than I simply getting Parliament to legislate that the BBC belongs to me because I pay my license to it. You'll be trampling over the rights of certain individuals (and not just the Queen, but all the tenants and leaseholders that occupy the land too), simply to make a point. And not a good point, either.
It is in no way as clear cut as you assume it is. Some of it is quite private, and the most that can be said of the rest is that it's in a murky middle-ground, partly private, partly public, partly public-for-private-use, and so on. There's a reason there's been no single court ruling coming down on one side or the other - it's simply too big an effort for something that, right now, matters so little.

You could use Parliament to legislate that it is absolutely all theirs, but that remains no fairer than I simply getting Parliament to legislate that the BBC belongs to me because I pay my license to it. You'll be trampling over the rights of certain individuals (and not just the Queen, but all the tenants and leaseholders that occupy the land too), simply to make a point. And not a good point, either.

No, it's pretty clear cut. All properties in the Crown Estate are owned by the Crown. That's not to say the royal family doesn't privately own some properties, for example Balmoral, but these are not part of the Crown Estate and therefore not part of what we are discussing here.
No, it's pretty clear cut. All properties in the Crown Estate are owned by the Crown. That's not to say the royal family doesn't privately own some properties, for example Balmoral, but these are not part of the Crown Estate and therefore not part of what we are discussing here.

And what is the Crown beyond the semi-personal, semi-public expression of the monarchy, which was until relatively recently indistinguishable from the person of the monarch? You're trying to portray 'the Crown' as some run-of-the-mill public institution like the NHS, but it really can't be easily put into one box. The testimonials I have read before Parliament all seem to indicate an uneasiness among all sorts of lawyers and legal types to be pinned down on one side or another for fear of being made to look silly.

Particularly as part of the Crown Estate at the very least is the royals' and the royals' alone without any shadow of a doubt, which is the Privy Purse lands. But the rest? You could just as equally say it's not the Queen's as much as it's not the State's, and not 'the people''s.
Spain is very different to us. You don't pay council tax on unfinished homes, so therefore people leave homes unfinished. I have no idea of the Spanish monarchy's extent of influence but our monarchy doesn't have the power to do anything so it's pointless to have a president and elect someone for however long to do the same, lesser political jobs as the Queen, which is opening places, visiting other countries and doing a speech. The only difference will be no-one will know who the president is.

Unless we go for a US style president, but head of state and power might not be what we want.
Yes we should but this has nothing to do with being a Communist and don't call me "comrade"

The 60p a year per person figure, is a balls out lie

They're not great ambassadors and the rest of the world does not love them nearly as much as the British think they do (The Americans see them as a bit of a joke really, like this country is one big costume drama)

They're not "good" people and their public behaviour is totally contrived to maximise the British people's perception of them

I actually agree with you for once (I think)

If this country did abolish the monarchy, we would not lose the Crown Estate, because it is not the property of Elizabeth Windsor and the money from that legally belongs to the treasury, so she really can piss off

Original post by the mezzil
That's theft.

The Queen personally owns those estates from the money out of her own pocket, they aren't taxpayer funded or owned by the government.

It's owned by the Crown which is a part of the state, she has no right to that in a personal way. It's like saying the Pope owns his gold chair, he doesn't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yo radical one
Yes we should but this has nothing to do with being a Communist and don't call me "comrade"

The 60p a year per person figure, is a balls out lie

Demonstrate how.

They're not great ambassadors and the rest of the world does not love them nearly as much as the British think they do (The Americans see them as a bit of a joke really, like this country is one big costume drama)

They're not "good" people and their public behaviour is totally contrived to maximise the British people's perception of them

This all sounds very much like personal opinion :smile:

I actually agree with you for once (I think)

If this country did abolish the monarchy, we would not lose the Crown Estate, because it is not the property of Elizabeth Windsor and the money from that legally belongs to the treasury, so she really can piss off

It does not legally 'belong' to the treasury. The best that can be said is that it was once inseparable from the monarchy but has evolved into a quasi-independent, quasi-personal entity. That does not mean it therefore defaults to the Treasury.

If, when Satan begins ice skating to work, the monarchy is abolished, I hope that the courts have a fair go at untangling the issue without interference from Parliament.
To me "believing in Monarchy" is just an utterly completely ridiculous notion like believing in God or something. We are intelligent, educated and democratic people. Why oh why we need a monumentally wealthy German family ruling supreme and lording it all over us peasants I just can not imagine.
And what is the Crown beyond the semi-personal, semi-public expression of the monarchy, which was until relatively recently indistinguishable from the person of the monarch? You're trying to portray 'the Crown' as some run-of-the-mill public institution like the NHS, but it really can't be easily put into one box. The testimonials I have read before Parliament all seem to indicate an uneasiness among all sorts of lawyers and legal types to be pinned down on one side or another for fear of being made to look silly.

Particularly as part of the Crown Estate at the very least is the royals' and the royals' alone without any shadow of a doubt, which is the Privy Purse lands. But the rest? You could just as equally say it's not the Queen's as much as it's not the State's, and not 'the people''s.

The Crown, to quote Wikipedia, is "a corporation sole that ... represents the legal embodiment of executive, legislative, or judicial governance." In other words, it's the state. In fact the whole concept of the Crown was literally created to separate the personal property of the monarch from the property of the state. If you abolish the monarchy, you abolish the Crown, and there's absolutely no reason the property of the Crown would go to the monarch rather than to the state.
Demonstrate how.

Because dividing how much the treasury gives them per year, by the number of people in this country doesn't account for the cost of protecting them and the tax exemptions they receive.

This all sounds very much like personal opinion :smile:

To many people they are a symbol of rape, theft and murder. It's like sending an Irish person a Christmas card with a picture of Oliver Cromwell on the front :dunce:

It does not legally 'belong' to the treasury. The best that can be said is that it was once inseparable from the monarchy but has evolved into a quasi-independent, quasi-personal entity. That does not mean it therefore defaults to the Treasury.

If, when Satan begins ice skating to work, the monarchy is abolished, I hope that the courts have a fair go at untangling the issue without interference from Parliament.

Er yes it does

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Estate

King George III surrendered it to the UK government in return for being absolved of his personal debts and having them added on to the national debt
The Crown, to quote Wikipedia, is "a corporation sole that ... represents the legal embodiment of executive, legislative, or judicial governance." In other words, it's the state. In fact the whole concept of the Crown was literally created to separate the personal property of the monarch from the property of the state. If you abolish the monarchy, you abolish the Crown, and there's absolutely no reason the property of the Crown would go to the monarch rather than to the state.

No. The Crown started as simply the monarch; it has now evolved into something semi-separate from the person, but remains linked nonetheless. It is a corporation sole and a representative one, but that does not mean that, therefore, it belongs to the Treasury or the State, does it?

Which is exactly what I'm trying to say, but you keep ignoring: the problem is not that it will default to the monarch, or to the State: The problem is that the whole combination is so complex and ephemeral that disentangling what is the (former) monarch's from that which defaults to the State would likely take years, if not decades, of legal investigation to determine, if at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Because dividing how much the treasury gives them per year, by the number of people in this country doesn't account for the cost of protecting them and the tax exemptions they receive.

The cost of security is mixed up with the cost of protecting all VIPs, government officials, ambassadors and so on, in this country. You can't quite simply determine how much the protection of a particular person costs. Anyway, the cost would remain under a republic.

To many people they are a symbol of rape, theft and murder.

Just like the President of the United States of the President of France, then?

It's like sending an Irish person a Christmas card with a picture of Oliver Cromwell on the front :dunce:

Well just as well they don't, then, because the Queen was a hit in her visit to Ireland :smile:

Er yes it does

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Estate

King George III surrendered it to the UK government in return for being absolved of his personal debts and having them added on to the national debt

He surrendered the revenue.
The cost of security is mixed up with the cost of protecting all VIPs, government officials, ambassadors and so on, in this country. You can't quite simply determine how much the protection of a particular person costs. Anyway, the cost would remain under a republic.

The cost of the British monarchy compared with the comparable presidencies is really rather high since they are one high profile extended family, as opposed to just protecting the nuclear family. Also, nicely done on ignoring the other more pertinent point of tax avoidance.

Just like the President of the United States of the President of France, then?

Not really. The president is elected by the people, has a fixed term, then goes. If you can't see the nuance here, then maybe you suffer from a double digit IQ.

Well just as well they don't, then, because the Queen was a hit in her visit to Ireland :smile:

It was controversial and the first time a British monarch had visited (The Republic of) Ireland in over 100 years... So that really does say a lot about relations with what should be one of our closest allies. But again, you are missing the point, people from India, the Caribbean, Africa in many cases see them as a symbol of oppression, it didn't mean Ireland specifically, it was an example of how using them as ambassadors is insensitive.

He surrendered the revenue.

Good, we'll have that for starters, then we can realise that the Queen does not own "The Crown" so she would not even own it legally. Then she can be subject to inheritance tax and none of it really matters.
definitely, no place for them in a democracy
The cost of the British monarchy compared with the comparable presidencies is really rather high since they are one high profile extended family, as opposed to just protecting the nuclear family. Also, nicely done on ignoring the other more pertinent point of tax avoidance.

Actually, the core royal family is under protection in the UK also. Anyway, the police base their security on perceived risk, not a blanket coverage. So the level of protection here is approximate to any other country.

I missed your mention of tax avoidance. Could you elaborate on what exactly you are referring to?

Not really. The president is elected by the people, has a fixed term, then goes. If you can't see the nuance here, then maybe you suffer from a double digit IQ.

Whoah there sunshine, you're resorting to personal insults a bit early aren't you? At least wait until you're made a bloody fool of being lashing out. Get back in your box.

Seeing as the French and American Presidents are elected, doesn't that make them worse as symbols of rape and oppression? After all, we can at least say we don't control who becomes monarch :smile:

It was controversial and the first time a British monarch had visited (The Republic of) Ireland in over 100 years... So that really does say a lot about relations with what should be one of our closest allies. But again, you are missing the point, people from India, the Caribbean, Africa in many cases see them as a symbol of oppression, it didn't mean Ireland specifically, it was an example of how using them as ambassadors is insensitive.

And yet they seem to do pretty well when they are visiting these countries. Please, don't try to be offended for other people. If the monarchy would do more harm than good in a country, then the government will advise them not to go. Pretty sensible. And given that the government have rarely had to issue such a warning, the monarchy is generally welcome and well-received.

Good, we'll have that for starters, then we can realise that the Queen does not own "The Crown" so she would not even own it legally. Then she can be subject to inheritance tax and none of it really matters.

Well, I'm glad it's such a simple world down in radical one's town :rolleyes: meanwhile, in the real world...
No. The Crown started as simply the monarch; it has now evolved into something semi-separate from the person, but remains linked nonetheless. It is a corporation sole and a representative one, but that does not mean that, therefore, it belongs to the Treasury or the State, does it?

Which is exactly what I'm trying to say, but you keep ignoring: the problem is not that it will default to the monarch, or to the State: The problem is that the whole combination is so complex and ephemeral that disentangling what is the (former) monarch's from that which defaults to the State would likely take years, if not decades, of legal investigation to determine, if at all.

Ugh, no. The Crown is what we have instead of 'the State' due to the fact we live under a monarchy. That's what you need to understand. We don't actually have a 'The State'. If we abolished the monarchy, it would make sense that the Crown and all of its holdings would become 'the state' - because that's effectively what the Crown is. It would make no sense to rule that the Queen, who never owned any of these properties to begin with, now has complete private ownership of them, just because she was permitted to use them under the old system.
Ugh, no. The Crown is what we have instead of 'the State' due to the fact we live under a monarchy. That's what you need to understand. We don't actually have a 'The State'. If we abolished the monarchy, it would make sense that the Crown and all of its holdings would become 'the state' - because that's effectively what the Crown is. It would make no sense to rule that the Queen, who never owned any of these properties to begin with, now has complete private ownership of them, just because she was permitted to use them under the old system.

I simply have to repeat my disagreement. 'The Crown', 'Crown Land', 'Crown Estate' and 'the State' have overlaps but are not one and the same, and this is exactly what I am referring to in the squeamishness of lawyers to tackle the matter.

Anyway, all of this is hypothetical. Even if you were correct, the very first thing the State would likely do is sell the land to private developers, and most of the revenue would cease to be given to the Treasury.
No I'd rather we revolutionised our political system from top to bottom so it catered to true democracy and worked in the interests of the people as opposed to the political elite and rich.

Getting rid of the monarchy would solve what exactly? The jobs they do would have to be done by public sector workers which is already vastly inflated. They'd have to be retrained to learn the necessary skills all of which those in the royal family learn through their upbringing as that's just the way things are.

People think its just 'abolish the monarchy, take what they have and use it elsewhere'. Its much more complicated than that.

1. Who is going to do the jobs they do?
2. Why do you want to further inflate the public sector?
3. Who is going to train these people and will they require university level education? Most likely so that's more expenditure
4. Who is enough of a public figure to do the job the Queen does? Hell no I don't want some self loving idiot like Tony Blair doing it - the Queen is a very popular figure abroad

The best system would be a fully democratic political system devolved quite a lot underneath the monarchy.

A lot spout this nonsense out of pure jealousy of the royal family totally oblivious to the jobs they do and purpose they serve. They also don't have any answers. It's just scrap the monarchy and we can take what they have and we will make more money - how? Where's your evidence? Where's your business plan and forecasts based on actual numbers? Its a pie in the sky theory. You have no actual solution but just want to tear something up out of spite.

Also, the Crown Estate, there's no solid legal basis that states who would get ownership of it. Based on that fact which has been proven time and time again it is entirely likely the whole affair would be dragged through the courts before a settlement is declared allocating the state so much and the royal family so much. Do you really think the royal family are going to just happily roll over and allow assets they believe to be theirs to be seized? If so you are living with the fairies.

1. This would be disastrous for our international reputation and would hit us economically

2. This would cost more money to the public purse short term in costs whilst the case went ahead

I hear a lot of cries to abolish them out of spite but no actual solutions to all of the problems abolishing the monarchy will throw up. How ironic. Most of those against the monarchy are nothing more than jealous that the likes of William and Harry were born into it and they weren't. Shame more people don't look at it the other way like myself and he happy I can walk down the street without an idiot from the Telegraph snapping pictures or can go to a party dressed like an arse without an issue if I wanted.

I'm not jealous. I love the monarchy, think replacing them would be a tough task that requires a major business plan and independent enquiry into the feasibility of such, it would be disastrous for our global reputation especially with those who see us as 'special' for having a monarchy and i am fully thankful that for around 60p per year in my taxes the royal family do many jobs that would otherwise be done by public sector workers demanding more money in salaries.

The monarchy is absolutely great for the UK and I am fully grateful for the jobs the Queen does. We have a system whereby it generates a net income yet people want to tear it up and take a risk when we already have so many issues in terms of finance.

If you're seriously wanting the abolishing of the monarchy then:

a) provide a balanced report looking into it all

b) business plan on how we can go from what we have now to a better system economically with minimal financial repercussions during the switchover

c) an in depth understanding of the legal issues surrounding the Crown Estate and an analysis of the legal procedures the state can take vs the royal family to get a positive outcome in any civil lawsuit surrounding the estate

Until then nobody will take you seriously and will see you as no more than jealous anti monarchs.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
definitely, no place for them in a democracy

You can have political democracy under a monarchy..in other words it would come across as a false monarchy to many but it would still help us maintain an image of having a monarchy for economic gain. It would be more to do with image as opposed to power.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending