The Student Room Group

How come transmen always seem to once have been lesbians?

I always have an issue with this. Like all the transmen I've known were always lesbians before they transitioned. And coming across this video and articles like this. They seem to be portrayed as ultra masculine lesbians. And I don't get why the ones most visible always like girls. I mean if they were like regular men wouldn't there be more gay men? I don't get how people can associate gender identity with sexuality? http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/are-butch-lesbians-being-replaced-by-trans-men/5241f3affe34447ec900025d http://www.butchwonders.com/blog/post-title-click-and-type-to-edit5
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If this is true, possibly because lesbianism is less of a marked choice than being a gay male, at least in the eyes of society.
Reply 2
Original post by scrotgrot
If this is true, possibly because lesbianism is less of a marked choice than being a gay male, at least in the eyes of society.

no what I mean to say is how come transmen before they were men are like almost always lesbians never bisexual or even straight. I've heard people act like societally perceived straight women are never expected to even be anything outside of the feminine role expected of them let alone one that actually identifies as a transmen. Yet it also seems every transman I've known was always a lesbian previously how come none have straight pasts?
Reply 3
Umm, that's because that's what many of them were pre-transition.

Transgender people still had sexualites before they transitioned.

There are transmen who are attracted to other men, but like in all genders, same-sex monosexuality is the minority.
Reply 4
Original post by b0x3s
Umm, that's because that's what many of them were pre-transition.

Transgender people still had sexualites before they transitioned.

There are transmen who are attracted to other men, but like in all genders, same-sex monosexuality is the minority.

yeah but why do they usually have lesbian pasts and like never found one with a straight past? Why are lesbians always given more leeway to express themselves? Why does it seem more acceptable for them to transition than someone who seems straight? Basically we're the same thing. Men with female bodies it shouldn't matter the sexuality. Why is it more expected for lesbians to transition female to male but not for societally perceived straight women to transition?
Original post by Justagirl20
no what I mean to say is how come transmen before they were men are like almost always lesbians never bisexual or even straight. I've heard people act like societally perceived straight women are never expected to even be anything outside of the feminine role expected of them let alone one that actually identifies as a transmen. Yet it also seems every transman I've known was always a lesbian previously how come none have straight pasts?

What about transwomen, are they not as often fully gay before the transition? I think gay male is seen in society as a distinct set-up and a life choice, as in you wouldn't take the plunge and live as a gay man unless you really knew you were a gay *man*. I don't think that perception is so much the case with lesbians. Gay man is seen as a well defined role whereas lesbian is maybe not as defined so could more easily be used as a stepping stone to something else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
What about transwomen, are they not as often fully gay before the transition?

No they tend to actually be bisexual. But it's pretty evenly distributed. I know many lesbian transwomen but not really gay transmen. Even when they are gay they usually were lesbian before transition still and all the gay transmen I've known dated girls at the time. Gay men imo don't date girls. Or straight women. Usually the gay ones were just really femme and flamboyant. Being gay has nothing to do with that
No they tend to actually be bisexual. But it's pretty evenly distributed. I know many lesbian transwomen but not really gay transmen. Even when they are gay they usually were lesbian before transition still and all the gay transmen I've known dated girls at the time. Gay men imo don't date girls. Or straight women. Usually the gay ones were just really femme and flamboyant. Being gay has nothing to do with that

I maintain that lesbianism in women is not seen as a definite end-state for sexuality with its own rituals and culture whereas gayness in men is. So all biological males who want to transition feel they can only identify as bisexual, as "gay" is not available. But "lesbian" is still available for biological females as it is not seen in quite the same defined way as "gay man".

Sorry I am lost with the trans terminology, I hope you follow me here. Do you think there is something in this analysis?
Reply 8
What about transwomen, are they not as often fully gay before the transition? I think gay male is seen in society as a distinct set-up and a life choice, as in you wouldn't take the plunge and live as a gay man unless you really knew you were a gay *man*. I don't think that perception is so much the case with lesbians. Gay man is seen as a well defined role whereas lesbian is maybe not as defined so could more easily be used as a stepping stone to something else.

No imo being a gay man is actually just being a man who happens to like men. I don't see them as any different as other men. Either way I don't really get how that has to do with transmen not always being lesbians in the past.
I always have an issue with this. Like all the transmen I've known were always lesbians before they transitioned. And coming across this video and articles like this. They seem to be portrayed as ultra masculine lesbians. And I don't get why the ones most visible always like girls. I mean if they were like regular men wouldn't there be more gay men? I don't get how people can associate gender identity with sexuality? http://live.huffingtonpost.com/r/segment/are-butch-lesbians-being-replaced-by-trans-men/5241f3affe34447ec900025d http://www.butchwonders.com/blog/post-title-click-and-type-to-edit5

I'd hypothesise that it's because nobody would want to transition from being straight to gay.
I maintain that lesbianism in women is not seen as a definite end-state for sexuality with its own rituals and culture whereas gayness in men is. So all biological males who want to transition feel they can only identify as bisexual, as "gay" is not available. But "lesbian" is still available for biological females as it is not seen in quite the same defined way as "gay man".

Sorry I am lost with the trans terminology, I hope you follow me here. Do you think there is something in this analysis?

Transmen can be gay too you know yet they rarely are. But what it is that's more odd is that masculinity is morepopular in lesbians than straight women what I find odd. Why they are allowed to express themselves.
Transmen can be gay too you know yet they rarely are. But what it is that's more odd is that masculinity is morepopular in lesbians than straight women what I find odd. Why they are allowed to express themselves.

A transman being a female-to-male transsexual? (Please use accessible terms, this is not Tumblr.) I never said otherwise, I don't think you're understanding my point as this post relates to precisely nothing in it.
Original post by honeywhite
I'd hypothesise that it's because nobody would want to transition from being straight to gay.

I didn't think it's a political decision why transmen transitioned. I would like to transition myself. But it doesn't make me feel any less male being that I am attracted to primarily men. But in that sense maybe it's harder to be a lesbian than a straight man and if you're already on the masculine side of things it just fits in better then? So do they really feel male?
A transman being a female-to-male transsexual? (Please use accessible terms, this is not Tumblr.) I never said otherwise, I don't think you're understanding my point as this post relates to precisely nothing in it.

care to explain what you're saying how it has to do with what's expected of straight woman?
care to explain what you're saying how it has to do with what's expected of straight woman?

I haven't mentioned straight women at all
I haven't mentioned straight women at all

that's what this thread is about lol why it seems transmen have lesbian pasts like almost always. Sexuality isn't entwined with the gender identity. It's separate.
that's what this thread is about lol why it seems transmen have lesbian pasts like almost always. Sexuality isn't entwined with the gender identity. It's separate.

This is your contention:

(1) Biological female with unspecified sexuality -> lesbian identification -> transman.

(2) Biological male with unspecified sexuality -> bisexual identification -> transwoman.

The question being why does (1) usually identify as lesbian while (2) usually identifies as bisexual.

My explanation is that (2) would identify as gay, just the same as (1), were it not for certain cultural baggage associated with the role of "gay male".

That baggage is that the role of "gay male" is seen as a distinct social grouping and an expression of lifelong commitment to that social grouping, i.e. once you declare yourself "gay", it's assumed you won't change. I don't think this exists to anything like the same extent for the role of "lesbian woman", which is seen, rightly or wrongly, as something more fluid that women might well dip in and out of.

So there are exit opportunities from a transman's "stepping stone" self-identification as a "lesbian". If there were similar exit opportunities for a transwoman who identified as "gay male" at the stepping stone stage, she would. But "gay male" is seen as an end state. So the self-identification "bisexual" is more available, because in society it is seen as just as non-committal as the identification "lesbian" - crucially, with implied exit opportunities, thus it is a good stepping stone.
No my bad sorry if I'm confusing for (2) I was saying that they were equally distributed. But overall tend to be bi. Like I said I've met lesbian bi and straight transwomen some had wives some had husbands. Like they just varied. I haven't seen that much from transmen though.
This is your contention:

(1) Biological female with unspecified sexuality -> lesbian identification -> transman.

(2) Biological male with unspecified sexuality -> bisexual identification -> transwoman.

The question being why does (1) usually identify as lesbian while (2) usually identifies as bisexual.

My explanation is that (2) would identify as gay, just the same as (1), were it not for certain cultural baggage associated with the role of "gay male".

That baggage is that the role of "gay male" is seen as a distinct social grouping and an expression of lifelong commitment to that social grouping, i.e. once you declare yourself "gay", it's assumed you won't change. I don't think this exists to anything like the same extent for the role of "lesbian woman", which is seen, rightly or wrongly, as something more fluid that women might well dip in and out of.

So there are exit opportunities from a transman's "stepping stone" self-identification as a "lesbian". If there were similar exit opportunities for a transwoman who identified as "gay male" at the stepping stone stage, she would. But "gay male" is seen as an end state. So the self-identification "bisexual" is more available, because in society it is seen as just as non-committal as the identification "lesbian" - crucially, with implied exit opportunities, thus it is a good stepping stone.

I guess my question is why in societal history it was more acceptable for lesbians to have several different gender expressions therefore the commonality many transmen have with them? Also don't get why the sexuality seems to go common with each other seemingly. It's just like the reason I can't really see myself as one myself because I can't really relate and the issues I deal with are on the other end. Idk why though most gender expression is embraced and practice within their sexuality. Since sexuality shouldn't have to do with gender identity?
No my bad sorry if I'm confusing for (2) I was saying that they were equally distributed. But overall tend to be bi. Like I said I've met lesbian bi and straight transwomen some had wives some had husbands. Like they just varied. I haven't seen that much from transmen though.
I guess my question is why in societal history it was more acceptable for lesbians to have several different gender expressions therefore the commonality many transmen have with them? Also don't get why the sexuality seems to go common with each other seemingly. It's just like the reason I can't really see myself as one myself because I can't really relate and the issues I deal with are on the other end. Idk why though most gender expression is embraced and practice within their sexuality. Since sexuality shouldn't have to do with gender identity?

Well it has always been the case, or at least since the sexual revolution, that women were allowed a wider range of sexual expression than men. A woman who owns a sex toy is unremarkable; a man who does so is a creep. Having a sexual fetish makes a woman sexy; it makes a man a creep. It runs counter to the accepted feminist history but it is true.

Lesbians are usually just seen as messing around and experimenting rather than expressing a real orientation. So there is more overlap with other sexualities.

Of course gender identity and sexuality can be intertwined, no element of the human condition is a compartmentalised module unaffected by anything else. It's all interlinked.
I'm trans-male but was never a lesbian before I transitioned. I'm actually pansexual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending