The Student Room Group

obsessively thinking about failiure

I mentioned this before in another thread, but whenever i fail at something, usually due to nerves i cant stop thinking about it.It gets to the point that i remember the nerves and how i had felt so strongly that i start feeling that way.i always get scared the anxiety will come back.For example whenever i do a driving test i get really nervous before hand.and i know this affects my concentration and is the reason i have been failing. now i cant stop thinking about the nerves and its like i make myself really nervous everytime there is a test.i know alot of people have this but this is really holding me back. i keep going over it in my head and its making me miserable but i cant stop.

it makes me feel numb and blank out. i dont know what is making me feel so nervous about the test. i guess just not feeling like i can do it, worrying about everything that can go wrong.it's starting to affect other areas of my life because i'm constantly thinking that i failed.why do i find it so hard to forget?
If it's in the past, let go of it. It's not worth your health. These things don't matter, you should just live your life free of worries.
I have a special way of thinking about a driving tests. Growing up i got extremely worried about school exams like GCSES and A-Levels. These exams are something you can really do once and if you fail then you are heartbroken. Taking a driving test should not be scary. You can do it as many times as you want and if you fail then it wont exactly affect your life. Be more relaxed about it as it should not be something that is scary. Not like A-Levels which basically decide your fate.
Reply 3
The thing is i've forgotten how to be worry free :/
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is i've forgotten how to be worry free :/

Whenever you come out of an exam, just forget about everything. Whats done is done, if you could go back I'm sure you'd do better, but the fact is that you can't so why worry? the way it to think about is doing your best, and forgetting everything else.
It is very difficult. Persistent and repetitive intrusive thoughts suggesting failure, and reinforced by prior perceived failure are quite common. I sometimes get very anxious about ostensibly innocuous things because I tend towards assuming worst-case-scenarios. The pernicious thing is that the whole process is self-fulfilling. Honestly, I can't offer much on how you should address this issues in your life but I think recognising that failure is okay, and can be a useful catalyst for improvement is likely to be important. We so often grow up fearing failure because people are so quick to point out when it happens. Creating an atmosphere where people are "allowed to fail" is, in my opinion, a powerful way to support learning and ultimately achieve relative success.

I'm sorry this won't help you, but recognising the issue is step one so best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest