I'm studying... chemistry, biology, physics and maths

I'm interested in... biochemistry, drug research

I'm thinking about... biochemistry at university
Original post by lollypop12380
I'm studying... chemistry, biology, physics and maths

I'm interested in... biochemistry, drug research

I'm thinking about... biochemistry at university

Hi,

I took the same subjects as you at A level and I have just finished year 13, I applied for Veterinary Medicine but I didn't get any offers. :frown: please let me know if you have any related questions as I may be able to help you :smile:

x
Reply 2
Original post by Keenasmustard456
Hi,

I took the same subjects as you at A level and I have just finished year 13, I applied for Veterinary Medicine but I didn't get any offers. :frown: please let me know if you have any related questions as I may be able to help you :smile:

x

Hi, I'm in year 12 and am too hoping to apply for veterinary medicine this october! I was just wondering whether or not you got any interviews? Which uni's you applied to, and what you got at AS level?
Thanks!!
Original post by LucyG123
Hi, I'm in year 12 and am too hoping to apply for veterinary medicine this october! I was just wondering whether or not you got any interviews? Which uni's you applied to, and what you got at AS level?
Thanks!!

Hi,
Last year I applied to Nottingham, Cambridge, RVC and Liverpool but unfortunately I didn't get any offers. I had an interview at Cambridge and that was it :frown: However, I did get an offer from RVC for bio-veterinary science (BBB) and an offer from Nottingham for animal science (ABB) but neither of these courses are really what I want to do so I am taking a gap year. I have a job at a funeral directors :/
At GCSE I got 6 A*'s and 4 A's and at AS I got AAAB (B was in chemistry).
I am guessing you are pretty clever so your grades shouldn't be an issue as I'm sure you are aware you need at least 6 A's at GCSE and really you need 4 A's at AS. Its not the end of the world if you have AAAB at AS but my B did go against me!
Another bit of advice is if you can, I would carry on all 4 subjects next year to A2 as most vet applicants will do this. I did this and it went ok, but if you find you can't handle 4 next year, don't continue and let your grades suffer. Its better to have 3 A's than have 4 B's!!
I'm guessing you know how hard it is to get into vet school! There are a lot of people (50% of applicants) who will not get an offer so if you find yourself with no offers, take a gap year and retry. 50% of people in vet school have taken a gap year because they didn't get any offers - you are not alone!!
A key thing is to make sure you have lots of work experience - I have done 6 weeks in a vet practice, worked on a farm for a week, worked at a dog groomers every week for the past 3 years, worked on a stud farm over the winter and did a day at a zoo. I'm not saying you need all this but get as much as you can. Some good places to go are ... abattoirs, poultry farms, pig farms, zoos and large animal as not many people have these so they make you stand out! Also, most people who go into vet school are interested in small animals so if you have lots of large animal work experience you will also be more appealing, I'm not saying become an equine vet if you love cats and dogs but if you like large animal then definitely prove it!
Another thing I did was go to the embryo vet school in Devon which is really worth it! If you google it you will find it! It does cost £400 but I managed to get a bursary for it which you can apply for through them!
Hope this has helped you and sorry it is so long!!
x
Reply 4
Hi, wow! Thank you for making it so long, it was really helpful!! I really don't know how you didn't get in, did your interview not go well? Thanks again! I'm so worried!
x
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LucyG123
Hi, wow! Thank you for making it so long, it was really helpful!! I really don't know how you didn't get in, did your interview not go well? Thanks again! I'm so worried!
x

Thats ok, and yeah like I said its really hard to get in! But if you never try you will never know so its worth a go.
And my interview was split into 3 different parts and one went wasnt very good but the rest was ok, it's really hard to tell what they think of you when you are there and everyone's interview is different!
And don't be worried, if you have any questions on anything from A levels to uni just PM or something. I dont mind helping you with your personal statement as well as I know its a really hard thing to write! Oh and I thought of something else to tell you .. A good book to read is called: 'how to get into vet school'. It has loads of tips and it might give you some ideas.
Sorry its so long again! :/ Jess x

Quick Reply

Latest