The Student Room Group

Any experience with propranolol

Tell me about your experience with propranolol to cope with physical symptoms of anxiety
All the best :smile:
I tried it a few times over the years and it worked pretty well on the physical symptoms of anxiety for me. However, it doesn't touch the mental symptoms which I was finding was the most difficult part of my anxiety. If you can get a hand on the thoughts accompanying anxiety, propranolol can be very helpful.
I have them for my migraines and have been for about 3 years.
I've noticed its extremely helpful for overt anxiety symptoms especially during exams and stuff. But yes its best to consult with your GP :biggrin:
I took them they didn't work brilliantly for me and i had to stop taking them in the end because they gave me really bad nightmares! But I know they do work for some so definitely give it a go :smile:
I'm on them for migraines and anxiety. I've had pretty annoying side effects like bad circulation. They help with the migraines and anxiety symptoms though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been prescribed it for tremors. It is a low dose though so I don't know if it actually works or if it's more of a placebo effect. Not that I mind as long as it stops me getting symptoms. :tongue:
Propranolol is the only drug I have taken for mental illness that I would recommend.
I used it for to prevent or end a panic attack. I am also of the opinion that it only works physically. I noticed my heart rate slowing, breathing becoming easier and muscles relaxing after taking it (but my muscles would still ache afterwards from the spasms - similar to doing a hard gym session!).
It definitely can't cure your anxiety, but as a little crutch for the hard times to pull you out of the hole when you're stuck, it's extremely helpful.
I found it fast-acting but short-lasting. If the anxiety did not subside I would have had to take another dose.
I noticed no side effects although I had to be careful to not become dependant on it and wean myself off while learning to cope with anxiety alone.

I agree that only a GP can give safe advise on any medication.
I also agree that it could have been a placebo effect but it worked so no complaints from me!
Reply 7
Didn't work for me, but my anxiety was more the me talk side of things than the physical side of things so they weren't the right drug for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I take Metoprolol 200mg SR BD for PTSD and secondary hypertension.

Amazing drug.

If you have a lot of physical symptoms or your anxiety is based around fears, trauma or phobias then I highly recommend a beta blocker, namely propranolol or metoprolol.
Reply 9
Propranolol is mainly for the physical symptoms of anxiety, like racing heart etc. It will not make you feel better mentally but the lack of physical symptoms will feel like a relief for you.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me. Well it did, but I seemed to have a bad reaction to it and it made my blood pressure and pulse drop so low that I ended up fainting! This is very rare though so nothing to worry about. They're an EXTREMELY safe drug and they should help with your physical symptoms :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest