Check out other Related discussions

What is worse sexism or racism?

???
Dont wanna hear any of this "they are both as bad as eachother" malarky either

So which one is worse

Scroll to see replies

They're both as bad as each other.

Discrimination is discrimination.
They are both as bad as each other, though. As the above said, "Discrimination is discrimination".
FFS didnt you read what i just wrote?
its like comparing robbery to murder.
Pick one or leave the tread
Both are bad. But in terms of what is a bigger issue at the moment, racism in the West, and sexism in the East.

Racism and sexism to be fair aren't all that much of an issue in the west, although I'm sure many would be lost in life without their boogeyman (whites have immigrants, we all have a boogeyman)

In the east though and less developed countries sexism is probably a bigger issue due to the fact that there just aren't as many problems with racism due to lack of immigrants, I know it happens no doubt but not many races immigrate to be the boogeyman in the east. Women on the other hand genuinely are second class citizens in a lot of countries, and their problems are real and unquestionable, not arguing semantics and being petty just because you're jealous of other people/completely undesirable/unemployable, every day is a struggle for these women.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Huskaris
Both are bad. But in terms of what is a bigger issue at the moment, racism in the West, and sexism in the East.

Really? I would say the East can be really racist.
Original post by brownsugar-xx
Really? I would say the East can be really racist.

I agree. I just added to my post hopefully that makes it more rounded :-)
Original post by matthewduncan
FFS didnt you read what i just wrote?
its like comparing robbery to murder.
Pick one or leave the tread

I don't really care what your original post said. I am answering the title question. I can't pick between something that's identical in my eyes.

Robbery and murder are clearly two completely different things and do not share the same resemblances that Sexism and Racism do.

Don't post questions on a public student forum, with ridiculous instructions, and ask answering users to leave the thread. No.

Both are as bad as each other, but I'd say racism is probably worse.
Racism is singling out a group of people. Sexism is 'singling' out around 50% of the world's population. It doesn't really have the same impact when you're not a minority group.
Original post by Huskaris
I agree. I just added to my post hopefully that makes it more rounded :-)

In that case i pretty much agree with your edit :h:
Original post by brownsugar-xx
In that case i pretty much agree with your edit :h:

Aww thanks. Both are obviously very bad but we were told we can't say both the same haha
Original post by JayJay-C19

I don't really care what your original post said. I am answering the title question. I can't pick between something that's identical in my eyes.

Robbery and murder are clearly two completely different things and do not share the same resemblances that Sexism and Racism do.

Don't post questions on a public student forum, with ridiculous instructions, and ask answering users to leave the thread. No.

Dont let the door hit you on your way out
Dont let the door hit you on your way out

I won't because I'm not leaving. Thanks anyway or your caring sentiment. Bless.
Original post by thechemistress
Both are as bad as each other, but I'd say racism is probably worse.
Racism is singling out a group of people. Sexism is 'singling' out around 50% of the world's population. It doesn't really have the same impact when you're not a minority group.

This makes no sense
Reply 14
Racism in the West.

Sexism in the East.
This makes no sense

If I had to choose. I should have put that in there :tongue:
How is this even a question??? They are not as bad as each other or even the same. You do realise that there are females who are also POC (people of colour)... Do we get it x2's as bad then?

'Women' have never been treated like people have who were and still are facing racism. Being forced to work, and your children amputated if you don't meet your quota. Not being allowed to rent a property due to your race? Segregation laws? Being lynched and hunted? Too many examples to list. You cant compare the treatment that racism has inflicted people with to sexism. Just no.

I would even go so far to add that what Sexism inflicts on people has already been done to those who face Racism (such as segregation, not voting etc) and even worse.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not sure. For me it would depend on the circumstances and how racist/sexist people are being.

Why do you ask?
Racism, judging someone based on their sex is much more accurate than judging them on their skin colour.
"Racism is probably worse if only because it transcends gender (and sexist discrimination can often be worse if you're a black too)."

Do you see now why your point makes no sense?

@OP, saying it's like murder vs robbery is not an equivalent scenario since racism and sexism both come under discrimination. A more equivalent scenario would be what's worse, shooting or stabbing someone?

And in both cases, they are both as bad as each other.

Latest

Trending

Trending