The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What do you think of people on benefits who purchase luxuries?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lukec95
That extermination stuff was a joke, I thought it was obvious but I stand by what I said. Too often we hear about benefit claimers arguing that they do not get enough money or the bedroom tax is wrong when you then find out a god portion of their benefit claims have gone to luxuries. WTF? Do not complain about taxes and cuts when you have sufficient help from the state to survive. If they choose to spend what they have on these luxuries rather than well needed food and rent that is their fault

Are you referring to everyone on benefits or are you differentiating between those who have a genuine disability and those on JSA?
Reply 61
Original post by eagleclawsan
Are you referring to everyone on benefits or are you differentiating between those who have a genuine disability and those on JSA?

Anyone who claims benefits and complains they have too little or the cuts are a disgrace when they have been spending a larger proportion of it on luxuries are pathetic. Do not complain about surviving if you value materialistic desires over essentials.
They can spend it on what they want, but don't expect me to be sympathetic when they're moaning they can't essential items.

On my local news there are always people saying that they need to use food banks and therefore need JSA raising etc.... I'd feel more sorry for them if they didn't have designer logos on their t-shirts and branded packeted cigarettes (which are what, £7 a pack now?) when appealing for this.
With the introduction of new shows such as Benefit Street and Benefit Britain people on benefits are being frowned upon more and more. Now whilst I understand that in many cases there is a right to be angry. There are people who spend a lot of their income from benefits on cigarettes and unhealthy food, I fully get that. What I am more interested in is why people get so angry when a family on benefits owns a widescreen television or a smart phone.

My Mum used to work until she got a brain tumor which made it extremely difficult for her. She can't walk at a normal speed and she is constantly nauseous and in pain. There are loads of people like this out there but it feels as if people don't want them to have anything good because it is 'their' money that is being used to purchase these items.

On the radio and in comment sections you even get people suggesting that people on benefits shouldn't be allowed on holiday. I think that's ridiculous. Have we got to a point where the media has created a very negative image of someone on benefits, so negative that people no longer want them to have anything good?

I know there are a lot of people who don't deserve benefits, but do you think the people who actually need it are being unfairly frowned upon?

Do you think people on benefits should be allowed to purchase luxuries or maybe you think there should be a limit?

Interested to know.

I think the first thing is that there is a big difference between different types of benefits, someone in your mum's situation who has worked and paid her way and now is too sick deserves a good quality of life, not to have anything and everything she could want but she should, in my opinion, be able to go on a reasonable holiday once a year, have a half decent TV etc, people on jobseekers who have fallen on hard times I think it's not so important as those people shouldn't be on benefits long term however they shouldn't be too strict as it may not be their fault, my aunt was on jobseekers for a while because she was made redundant in the recession and she was so ashamed and took the first ****ty job she was offered so I don't see people like her should be punished

someone who hasn't got and has never had a job and lives on benefits just because does not deserve anything but basic food stamp type things in my opinion

saying that I do think that in a recession benefits for everyone probably need to reduce, if the average joe's standard of living is poor right now and they're still paying taxes of course they are going to resent the fact that many people on disability benefits can still take a holiday and do everything they used to without worrying

shows like that annoy me, most people on benefits don't live a life of luxery and many people on benefits are trying hard to change things, many who own an xbox or nice tv own it cos they spend nothing on their kids school books or decent food etc, there will always be a few who manipulate the system but that isn't how most people experience it
It's true that there are many benefit scroungers out there, but it's easy to stereotype and generalise, causing unfair judgement of people who actually need the support and don't overspend on luxuries. The key word there is overspend. Although I personally don't know anyone who receives benefits, I can understand that some people are either not able to work, or are trying really hard to find a job but cannot. Therefore, it would be unfair to demonise everyone on welfare payments and to demand that they stop spending money on luxuries.
Original post by Lukec95
Stop asking for more money then, you "people" argue about welfare cuts and that you do not have enough money but if you "people" are going to spend it on outrageous stuff do not complain. You should have enough for food, shelter and clothes, nothing else.

Who is asking for more money? My mum doesn't rely on benefits anymore. That was years ago. Alright then, I hope one day you have a short period in your life where you have to live on benefits just so you can live on 'food, shelter and clothes alone'. Forget about all the stuff you need to actually find a job so you can get off benefits e.g phone, computer, internet. Forget about travel to get to interviews. Forget about money needed for children's school trips, forget about letting your children have small moments of happiness, those children don't deserve any form of entertainment, they should just play with their food, no toys, no TV, nothing. People on benefits should not be allowed to live a life that resembles anything normal, they should live a miserable existence just to make you feel better.
Original post by vickidc18
Most of the middle classes complaining about benefits have no clue and live beyond their means with a huge mortgage 3 cars on finance giving the presentation they are rich when really they have little disposable income , throwing their toys out of the pram because an unemployed/low paid person goes on a cheap package holiday to Benidorm for a 100 quid, when they wouldn't even holiday in benidorm anyway and would have to go somewhere exotic like the Maldives, me and my fiance both work and he pays something like 10k in tax and national insurance a year he doesnt moan about because if we somehow lost everything the state would be there to help until we got on our feet. You cannever predict the future.

This.
In capitalism, there is unemployment. There will never be enough jobs for everyone. Therefore we are always going to have to deal with some people who through no fault of their own cannot get jobs. Why should they and their children be punished for this? Why should they have to scrape by while everyone else can have 'luxuries'?
Original post by anarchism101
In capitalism, there is unemployment. There will never be enough jobs for everyone. Therefore we are always going to have to deal with some people who through no fault of their own cannot get jobs. Why should they and their children be punished for this? Why should they have to scrape by while everyone else can have 'luxuries'?

Exactly. If all unemployed people were lazy and reluctant to get jobs, I'd understand but a lot of them are just people who have fallen on hard times and need extra support while they get back on their feet. That's already hard enough without people trying to make sure that your life is as hard as possible.
Original post by mellie220
They can spend it on what they want, but don't expect me to be sympathetic when they're moaning they can't essential items.

On my local news there are always people saying that they need to use food banks and therefore need JSA raising etc.... I'd feel more sorry for them if they didn't have designer logos on their t-shirts and branded packeted cigarettes (which are what, £7 a pack now?) when appealing for this.

Exactly this.

People can spend their money however they want, I can perfectly understand why benefit claimants would purchase things like a TV, Sky subscription, consoles etc. I'd go insane if I was stuck inside the house all day with nothing to do for months on end. However if they're buying fags or an iPhone instead of paying their bills or buying food, then I have absolutely no sympathy when they moan about their finances or living conditions.

However if someone on benefits can afford to go on a foreign holiday then they're being paid too much money. There are plenty of people in work who can't afford a holiday, why should they fund someone else's break through their taxes when they can't afford their own?

Original post by TimmonaPortella
The exception is if they're given money for their children etc. In that case, the benefit should be in a form that makes sure it is spent on the children.

Definitely. They should only get it for the first two children as well, I know this was discussed a year or two ago but I don't think it was ever implemented. If someone wants an excessive number of children (probably fathered by an equally excessive number of men) they shouldn't expect the state to pay for it.
Luxuries don't exist...

but then I have no problem with it, as long as do have a health problem, are out of work, and can prove it.
Cigarettes are an illness.

The government and tobacco industry make massive amounts of money off the back of drug dependance (which can not count as a luxury)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Rlove95
Who is asking for more money? My mum doesn't rely on benefits anymore. That was years ago. Alright then, I hope one day you have a short period in your life where you have to live on benefits just so you can live on 'food, shelter and clothes alone'. Forget about all the stuff you need to actually find a job so you can get off benefits e.g phone, computer, internet. Forget about travel to get to interviews. Forget about money needed for children's school trips, forget about letting your children have small moments of happiness, those children don't deserve any form of entertainment, they should just play with their food, no toys, no TV, nothing. People on benefits should not be allowed to live a life that resembles anything normal, they should live a miserable existence just to make you feel better.

People are lucky enough to even get help from the taxpayer
Reply 73
I think it depends on the circumstances of the person claiming benefits. If the person is severely impaired and there's absolutely no way they can work and earn their own money, benefits are going to be the only source of income they'll ever get (unless a loved one is also supporting them financially). If they can budget to afford a luxury every now and then, I don't see anything wrong with that.

But people who are unemployed, fully capable of working and choose to spend their job seeker's allowance on luxuries - I find that abysmal. That money is supposed to pay for their food and bills etc until they've found another job. It's not pocket money for them to treat themselves with.
Original post by Lukec95
People are lucky enough to even get help from the taxpayer

Most of those people have been the taxpayer. They've paid money into the system and are now getting support from the system they've funded in the past, just like any other taxpayer who may fall into that situation.
There's a difference between genuine claimants and those who never bother to work aka lazy claimants. As a working person, it doesn't bother me when people spend money on what they want as long as they are genuine but I dislike people who never really try to get a job and spend money on things they could live without.
I have nothing against people on benefits, obvs. not! Because benefits seek to improve the state of a person's life through financial support. It's the least you can do for a citizen of your country and a member of your community. However, I believe that if you are one benefits you should work incredibly hard to get off it and get back on your feet because that is the only way you can ever earn a living in a dignified manner! :lovedup:
I think we need to make a distinction between those who depend on the state like the disabled and those who simply need short term help like jobseekers.

I have no real objection to the disabled spending money on what they like because they may never have another source of income. Those on jobseekers though should not be draining the taxpayer for anything other than the necessities.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
It's up to them to decide what they want to spend it on, it's for their survival

Nobody needs an Xbox to survive. That's the point. Sell the Xbox and use the money to look for a job. All people on benefits that do game are a waste money and time. Why should they be wasting my money and time on an Xbox when they could be using it more productively?

If they want an xbox once they've found work they can save up and purchase one like most hardworking people in the country do.

Original post by Truths
Everyone deserves to be happy. I think so many poor people make short term investments (luxuries) because they don't think the state of their life is ever going to change.

The state of their lives will never change if they spend their time running up electricity bills and playing Xbox and sitting on their arses watching TV. For their lives to change they need to make a change. The best thing I ever did was sell all of the unproductive items in my life and invest in things that could generate more money.

So if one day you lose your job would you have a "I'm not buying anything good because it's unfair on people with jobs" attitude? "Exterminated" you say? What has made you this angry that you would want to kill people, many of whom cannot help their situation?

But they can help their situation. They have money they could spend on productive things as opposed to watching TV and playing Xbox whilst running up an electricity bill.

Original post by Lukec95
Do not complain about surviving if you value materialistic desires over essentials.

Spot on. They're just excuse makers and always find a reason to justify their own laziness.
Benefits where created to stop absolute poverty. People back then and still are not willing to pay for luxuries.

Now in the modern world you do need a landline, TV (to a degree) and the internet to have similar chances to everyone else. But you don't need a massive TV or the fastest internet or the newest mobile phone.

Also when benefits were created people would be ashamed to be on them, now it's the norm for many families as you have as many as 4 generations who while not completely unemployed would of had the experience of having benefits help support them.

Also they should provide better benefits for those who have or do work. Say you have been working for the last 20 years and have been made redundant you should get slightly better benefits for a certain amount of time due to paying more into the system.

Another problem is many of the poorer families do not value education achievement or press it enough. You then have all these kids who reach 18-20 and realise all that time they were messing around could of been better spent. We need better educational support for those on benefits.

We also need to stop the ghettoisation of poor people and spread them out into communities more, instead of encouraging this "us and them" attitude.

Latest

Trending

Trending