The Student Room Group

Is it morally wrong to use a disablility toilet?

Scroll to see replies

lol nope, as long as you're not stopping a disabled person from using it
Original post by OU Student
Very likely. Despite there being parent and baby rooms a few meters away, there appears to be a lot of parents using disabled toilets.

If they just use them regardless of the room being there and free it's not nice. But chances are the room is full so this have to wait
Reply 82
Original post by ChickenMadness
Such people can still have jobs and go outside. Since a lot of the time they'l need money to pay rent, food etc.

Considering I avoid going out food-shopping and do it all online because I can't stand supermarkets, other people and queuing I can't imagine someone who has panic attacks in public toilets even dreams of going out to get food when there's an alternative that won't make them feel like they're about to die...
As long as you don't make the disabled people wait long, no. My gran has to use that toilet and I always have to go in with her because of her panic attacks and she could easily fall because of her arthritis and I just use the toilet too while I'm in with her. There's no point of me going in with her, let her do the toilet and then for me to go into the female toilet. She would get panicky on her own waiting for me to come out the female toilet anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
The way I see this is similar to the disabled seats on busses and trains. Taking a seat there is fine. If you see an elderly or disabled person and there are no nearby seats free, you get up for them. The fact that they had to wait a couple of seconds for you to get up is no big deal. Everyone sits and everyone ****s, disabled people don't get priority to the extent that they can't wait for a minute if someone's just gone in.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Yeah and you have your own toilets. Stay out of disabled ones

That's pretty harsh, do you really feel that disabled people should get preferential treatment in that they can never ever have to wait for a single person (assuming they turned up just when someone's gone in) whilst other people with for loads of people?
Original post by ThatPerson
Why would using a disabled toilet make you less anxious than if you were using a normal public toilet?

I think mental illness has more awareness now than there ever has been. I'm sure that people don't quite realise the true implications of it, but they're usually aware it exists and prepared to make some accommodation (hopefully) for it to make things easier for people.

Because there aren't crowds of people in there. I find crowds of women in toilets, talking and being loud, really anxiety inducing. Also less germs.

Original post by Life_peer
Such people hardly use any public lavatory… or go to public places for that matter. :rolleyes: Made up arguments based on absurd scenarios are going to get you nowhere.

It's not made up.

Original post by joker12345
Why would you be able to use a disabled toilet (which is also a public toilet) but not a female bathroom?

As above
Wait, so people who are “so ill and anxious they can't actually use a public toilet without having a panic attack” have jobs and go outside? Come on, they are on benefits…

The toilets are for physically disabled people and if someone let us say depressed uses them, there is no ethical difference to a healthy person using them.

As above. But given you're generally an ignorant right wing bigot, I don't expect you to understand.
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
Is it?:confused:

yeah...but...there are worse things in the world.
Original post by joker12345
That's pretty harsh, do you really feel that disabled people should get preferential treatment in that they can never ever have to wait for a single person (assuming they turned up just when someone's gone in) whilst other people with for loads of people?

No, but they shouldn't have to wait because someone non disabled is using

[video="youtube;LgedBRXw7fY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgedBRXw7fY[/video]
The toilets are for physically disabled people and if someone let us say depressed uses them, there is no ethical difference to a healthy person using them.

This begs the question, the relevant difference has been suggested and is apparent: that a serious health issue makes use of a conventional toilet problematic. The implicature of your sentiment is to degrade the severity or authenticity of mental health problems; they are frequently sufficiently severe as to be debilitating, and to perpetuate ideas otherwise is harmful.
No, but they shouldn't have to wait because someone non disabled is using

But why is that? Everyone here had stated they'd only use if no one was present/coming towards the toilets. So the maximum wait time would be less than the time for that one person to go. Why should that person not go, and go and wait in a long cue elsewhere on the off chance that a disabled person has to wait less than the time it'll take for them to go?
People use the one at our work all the time. They have their own reasons for it and they don't keep any disabled people waiting.

I can't describe how little I could care if someone wanted to use the disabled toilet or not. Good luck to them and I hope they have a pleasant undisturbed ****.

What has morality got to do with personal toileting needs? Clearly if you need to use the loo and the only one available is adapted for people with disability then you would use it. What else would you do? wet yourself?
Reply 94
the disabled sign on a toilet doesn't mean "disabled only" just as normal toilet signs don't mean "no disabled people allowed" it's just a toilet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
I disagree with all of you.

A disabled toilet is there for those who need the additional features (wheelchair access etc), not to allow quick access. It isn't their prerogative to be advantaged for being disabled over other people, so I see no reason not to use a disabled bathroom if there's one free and a queue elsewhere. If a disabled person has to wait for me, so what? How is that different from me having to wait in the other queue? Equality.

They are people and should be treated as such.

If you aren't disabled, yes

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
If you've got to go you've got to go, as long as you're not making a disabled person wait, then no.

Original post by MidnightDream
Meh as long as your not making a disabled wait then I would say no

Original post by Viva Emptiness
I don't see why, as long as someone disabled isn't actually waiting to go before you.

Original post by A5ko
As long as you are not disadvantaging a disabled person at the time you need to use it, no of course not.

I roll my eyes at anyone who says otherwise..

Original post by Pedd
Absolutely not, unless you walk out and discover a disable person waiting, which is unlikely.

The disabled toilets in my school were far more spacious that the normal bogs! :biggrin:
Nah, not if they're empty and you're absolutely desperate.
Disabled Toilets are targeted at people with physical disabilities as theyre more spacious and have handlebars etc, however theyre mostly used by mums with loads of kids.

As long as you give priority to those with physical disabilities, using them is fine to be honest.
Reply 98
Original post by M1011
I disagree with all of you.

A disabled toilet is there for those who need the additional features (wheelchair access etc), not to allow quick access. It isn't their prerogative to be advantaged for being disabled over other people, so I see no reason not to use a disabled bathroom if there's one free and a queue elsewhere. If a disabled person has to wait for me, so what? How is that different from me having to wait in the other queue? Equality.

They are people and should be treated as such.

There are varying degrees of disability. How would you feel if a member of your family who may be heavily disabled soiled themselves, because someone who is able bodied couldn't be bothered to go to their respective toilet?
Just make sure you don't miss the target, if you know what I mean...

Quick Reply

Latest