The Student Room Group

Telephone assessment tomorrow. What can I expect?

I called the IAPT number earlier today and told them that I suspect that I'm bipolar. They booked me in for a telephone assessment tomorrow and I'm terrified. I'm just wondering what questions they might ask and exactly how much information they will want to know. Will they want details? Or do they want basic information? Do I explain to them what I experience during my depressive and manic episodes?

Has anyone else had a telephone assessment? If so, how did it go and what questions did they ask you?
Reply 1
I didn't have a telephone assessment personally but I did have an in person assessment so I can tell you what they asked me there :smile:

They will probably ask you why you think you have bipolar and how you feel when you are depressed and when you aren't (the symptoms you experience). They will also ask you how long each period lasts for so I find it best if you write down (to the best of your ability) when and for how long you felt a certain way.

ie. I was depressed from Oct - Apr but 'up' / manic / hypomanic from May to mid July and depressed from July up to now. The bigger overview of how long you feel a certain way and what mood comes after the next will be key in getting a diagnosis so if you can make a note that will help you so you have it in front of you.

I hope it goes well, this is the start of a very worthwhile journey for you :smile: Well done for reaching out, took me years to do that!
Original post by pineapple_thorns
I called the IAPT number earlier today and told them that I suspect that I'm bipolar. They booked me in for a telephone assessment tomorrow and I'm terrified. I'm just wondering what questions they might ask and exactly how much information they will want to know. Will they want details? Or do they want basic information? Do I explain to them what I experience during my depressive and manic episodes?

Has anyone else had a telephone assessment? If so, how did it go and what questions did they ask you?

Hey, I have booked my telephone assessment. could you tell me how yours went
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest