The Student Room Group

Do you think the niqab (face cover for Muslim women) should be banned?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't think it should be banned. However she can be asked to remove it by a female only for identification. If these women wana cover up what's the big deal? We obviously live in a society where covering up is a problem but we have no problem with people wearing little clothes. If she didn't want to wear it she wouldn't therefore she can wear as much or as little as age wants just like everyone else. In islam we believe the head scarf with face showing is obligatory wheras the niqab is just going the extra mile to please the Lord and is a personal choice.
Yes it should be banned,the Koran says men and women should dress modesty, it does not say woman should be forced to walk around dressed from head to toe in black looking through a slit.

The burka is a symbol of the male dominance over women. A woman wearing a burka has no individuality outside the home it hides all individuality, they are merely the property of their husbands.

The problem with the Burkas/Niquab is the anonymity it provides someone, they can have every distinguishable feature of their face(besides eyes) covered. This gives them the chance to hide their identity 24/7 which means they could use this to their advantage to commit crimes. Men can simply put on a Burka with a suicide vest on under and walk into an air port or train station and blow themselves up. Also wanted criminals can travel with Burkas on almost completely hiding their identity.

Most places wont allow you to walk into the store with a hood on, or halloween costume, because they cover your face, the same should apply to Burkas/Niqab.
In an age of mass surveillance everyone should be able to wear it. The excuse of security risk is completely undermined by that point.
Original post by KittyRe-play
It shouldn't be banned...In my opinion it is very inconsiderate in terms of not complying with the "Freedom of choice" & "Human rights" laws and regulations. I mean there are obviously two sides to everything but this is my personal view of the notion being presented.

Of course it is not a violation of human rights..France burqa ban is legal and will stay said the European Human Rights Court they should ban it as they have done in France. Last month they had to drag a woman into court there because she wouldn't remove it when told to by a Gendarme.
She was fined something like three thousand euros and her family had to pay it before she was released. The French don't mess about and we shouldn't either.
Original post by Marble Statue
It has been debated in the House of Parliament, which led to a retaliation in the Muslim community who formed a petition to prevent this decision from taking place.

What do you think? Should the niqab be banned?

Yes. period
Original post by QueenSI
I don't think it should be banned. However she can be asked to remove it by a female only for identification. If these women wana cover up what's the big deal? We obviously live in a society where covering up is a problem but we have no problem with people wearing little clothes. If she didn't want to wear it she wouldn't therefore she can wear as much or as little as age wants just like everyone else. In islam we believe the head scarf with face showing is obligatory wheras the niqab is just going the extra mile to please the Lord and is a personal choice.

It Was banned successfully in France!
A step that all Western democracies should take. The Burqa is a security risk we have no way of knowing who is wearing it.

The Burkha should be banned in the UK. It is just not right and makes people feel very uncomfortable. Incidents of males hiding behind burkhas with weapons and robbing stores have happened, we even had a terrorists escaping with a burka on . If burkha's were banned then people would be able to see the face behind the clothes and know something is not quite right when a man is hiding behind the clothes that a woman would be wearing. If people want to come to a foreign country, they should have to respect what is an acceptable practise in that country. If they don't like it, they can go back to where they were from where what they want is a suitable practise.

What if people turned nudism into a religion and they said as part of their worship, they always had to be nude. How do you think that would go over? At least you would know they aren't carrying explosives. What's to say that a person in a burqua isn't in fact a man loaded with explosives designed to make him look like a woman? That's the concern. 20 pounds of explosives to look like breasts and 30 pounds of explosives to look like hips and a butt.

The burqa is not a requirement in Islam. Only a headscarf is a requirement. Not a full face veil. Saying that it is a requirement in Islam is a lie.Times have changed no one should be allowed to conceal their Identity.In this country we have democracy meaning we can vote on laws like this.
Reply 26
Original post by Israel4ever
It Was banned successfully in France!
A step that all Western democracies should take. The Burqa is a security risk we have no way of knowing who is wearing it.

The Burkha should be banned in the UK. It is just not right and makes people feel very uncomfortable. Incidents of males hiding behind burkhas with weapons and robbing stores have happened, we even had a terrorists escaping with a burka on . If burkha's were banned then people would be able to see the face behind the clothes and know something is not quite right when a man is hiding behind the clothes that a woman would be wearing. If people want to come to a foreign country, they should have to respect what is an acceptable practise in that country. If they don't like it, they can go back to where they were from where what they want is a suitable practise.

What if people turned nudism into a religion and they said as part of their worship, they always had to be nude. How do you think that would go over? At least you would know they aren't carrying explosives. What's to say that a person in a burqua isn't in fact a man loaded with explosives designed to make him look like a woman? That's the concern. 20 pounds of explosives to look like breasts and 30 pounds of explosives to look like hips and a butt.

The burqa is not a requirement in Islam. Only a headscarf is a requirement. Not a full face veil. Saying that it is a requirement in Islam is a lie.Times have changed no one should be allowed to conceal their Identity.In this country we have democracy meaning we can vote on laws like this.

I specifically said that wearing the niqab isn't necessary in islam BUT some women CHOOSE to wear it because they want extra good deeds. Yes women choose to wear it however in some cultures men do force their women to wear it which isn't allowed in islam. I think terrorism in the name of islam gives the other 90% of Muslims a bad name. Who cares if someone else feels uncomfortable about some one wearing the niqab? That's a subjective point of view. Women in islam are not oppressed though it may seem that way. A daughter opens the doors of heaven, a wife opens the doors of heaven and heaven lies under a mothers feet. Oppressed by religion? Hell no. Oppressed in some cultures sure like alot of other non muslim cultures. Stuff like this are the doing of Muslims not islam. The media plays a big big role in putting fear into people about islam
Original post by Israel4ever
Of course it is not a violation of human rights..France burqa ban is legal and will stay said the European Human Rights Court they should ban it as they have done in France. Last month they had to drag a woman into court there because she wouldn't remove it when told to by a Gendarme.
She was fined something like three thousand euros and her family had to pay it before she was released. The French don't mess about and we shouldn't either.

We will see when the time comes...until then I'm sticking to my viewpoint without compromising thank you very much!
Reply 28
I used to think they shouldn't be allowed. However, after speaking to a friend who has a Muslim boyf and is constantly debating things like this I had a realisation. If I moved to America and they introduced a law saying I had to shave my hair, there would be an outcry that it is against civil rights. Just because people move to a country doesn't give us as the host country the right to force our culture onto them. I watched a video the other day in which a Muslim woman said in legal matters in her home country, they had to remove them for security and identification - I think that should be the same here. As long as they are not being used as a tool of oppression (which they obviously are in some cases) then in my mind its their decision.

Strange though that if a male wore one and went into a bank, he'd probably get arrested... Very interesting topic!
All our police, firemen, soldiers and citizens must wear the full burka out of respect for the muslim population.
Reply 30
The burka should be banned in public places, yes, for security reasons.
So if the niqab imposes security threats, why is it that the crime rate is higher in Britain than in Saudi Arabia where all the women wear niqab in public?
Reply 32
Yes, the burka should be banned.

Nowhere in the Noble Quran is it mentioned. There has been several Muslim scholars who agree with this notion.

However, most people who wear the burka , believe it's mandatory when it's not.

I personally think it won't be banned simply because there is a large population supporting the idea and it's becoming more culture than religion.
Reply 33
No, it shouldn't be banned. If it is banned, the Muslim women should still wear it if they wish to which is a way of telling the non muslims and the british that we don't care about your culture.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Roger1
No, it shouldn't be banned. If it is banned, the Muslim women should still wear it if they wish to which is a way of telling the non muslims and the british that we don't care about your culture.

You mean break the law of the land?
It's not obligatory and it poses are pretty big security risk.
Also if you love your own (most likely paksitani or some other middle-eastern) countries culture why don't you **** off?

So glad that I was born in England and enlightened to how **** my home country is lol and how bad the culture is. No culture is better than an oppressive one.
Original post by Marble Statue
It has been debated in the House of Parliament, which led to a retaliation in the Muslim community who formed a petition to prevent this decision from taking place.

What do you think? Should the niqab be banned?

Yep it 10000000% should be. Its now being used to mask peoples identities when commuting crimes such as robberies and the most famous case of the young girl who had acid thrown in her face by a 'friend' who hid her face by wearing a niqab.

Its ridiculous and so unnecessary imo. These sort of crimes are slowly growing so the government needs to make a ban before its too late.
I believe that it should be legal for you to wear what you what and to believe what you want (that means both burqa and nudity - both extremes)
I don't, however, believe that religion should get a free license; private properties should have a right to discriminate for their own purposes such as security/safety
if I'm the owner of a house and I can control who comes in and who doesn't, that should go for shops and shop owners too, that don't want potential robbers into their stores (because the mask could aid that aim)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by toxiictests
You mean break the law of the land?
It's not obligatory and it poses are pretty big security risk.
Also if you love your own (most likely paksitani or some other middle-eastern) countries culture why don't you **** off?

So glad that I was born in England and enlightened to how **** my home country is lol and how bad the culture is. No culture is better than an oppressive one.

What makes you think I live in Britain you muppet?
Original post by Roger1
What makes you think I live in Britain you muppet?

A large chunk of the forum members live in Britian, so I supposed that you did. Good thing you don't. Still doesn't answer the fact that you support the breakage of laws and would disagree with the law of the land, if push came to shove.
imo as a muslim i am very against people wearing it and calling it Islamic when there is no mention of it in the Quran and your face is part of your identity. I think it's a very cultural thing.

But, just like a woman can wear a sari as part of her culture, then a woman should also be able to wear a burka or a niqab.

BUT, if she's in a bank or something, and is told to remove it for security reasons it should be a legal requirement and she should remove it without giving any excuses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending