The Student Room Group

Don't Know What To Do

Sorry I wasn't sure if this was the right section to post this but here goes. I was really happy I got the grades I needed to go to uni on results day but I just can't make up my mind on what I want to do now. I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder and Depression and can't motivate myself to make any kind of decision on whether to go to Uni or defer.

Ive always wanted to go to Uni but I'm not sure if I'm mentally ready to go next month. I know it's all hindsight but I'm worried I'll struggle to make friends with anyone because of my anxiety and will end up alone and even more depressed for the year when I want to make sure I enjoy Uni. I was wondering if just working in my gap year is a good idea because I haven't made any plans for travel or anything so would I really be wasting a year ?
I don't really have too much time left now to decide but I just can't make the decision and would like to know what the best thing to do is.
I went to uni and dropped out after 4 months because my mental health made studying too difficult. I then went to another uni after a few months break and again struggled a lot. My anxiety meant I didn't make any friends despite my best efforts, so I spent 3 years alone and it was hell. With this experience I'd say that it might be better for you to take time out, address your issues and go to university when you feel better. University involves a lot of work if you can't motivate yourself to make a decision, would you be able to motivate yourself to study and submit essays etc?

Quick Reply

Latest