The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Muslims of TSR, would you ever consider fighting for the British Army?

Poll

Would you?

I know theres a stigma attatched to fighting in the army in muslim communities, but it interested me when it said more muslims from Britain are in the ISIS rather then British Army, so I have a question, how many of you would fight for Britain and it's army?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not going to lie
It would really depend on the war
If I thought it was a valid reason for war (there are very VERY few of those)
Then I would definitely consider it.
However Britain's recent track record for wars is pretty damn bad tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by MinionB
Not going to lie
It would really depend on the war
If I thought it was a valid reason for war (there are very VERY few of those)
Then I would definitely consider it.
However Britain's recent track record for wars is pretty damn bad tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
fair enough, so would you go to place in iran for example?
Yes but if I felt it was the right thing.
Doubt Britain will ever send troops to Iraq now but if that happened and some people needed to enrol, yeah i'd sign up for that
Reply 4
Original post by the_zoolander
Yes but if I felt it was the right thing.
Doubt Britain will ever send troops to Iraq now but if that happened and some people needed to enrol, yeah i'd sign up for that

i agree with the iraq part
Reply 5
No I wouldn't as I don't really feel British. And i will probably have to fight against Muslims as part of the British army and I would never get my hands dirty with the blood of my fellow Muslims. I will only fight with the Muslims if I had to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Badshah
No I wouldn't as I don't really feel British. And i will probably have to fight against Muslims as part of the British army and I would never get my hands dirty with the blood of my fellow Muslims. I will only fight with the Muslims if I had to.

Would you not support the British in aiding Muslims like the Kurds and those in Iraq and Syria who don't want an extremist caliphate.

I find it interesting that despite Christianity being just as fractured there is much less violence toward other sects than Islam.

Also which type do you align with (Kurd, Sunnia, Shia ECT..).
Reply 7
No way.
Reply 8
Why would Muslims join the British army to kill other Muslims ? & When in history have the British ever aided Muslims. funny.:biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
I know a Muslim guy in the army, he is fighting for the country he was born and raised in yet they don't accept him and constantly bully and torment him. Asking questions like 'would you shoot us or shoot them.' When he's clearly on their side.

That isn't worth it, so even if a Muslim wanted to fight in the army against a greater evil, I think the better question is would they even be accepted by their 'comrades' ?who on arrival to the opposing country say things like you can go back home now.
Some people don't even accept black football players, playing for England.

Edit - Also British Muslims are just as scared of terrorists as anyone else. They won't exactly get specially privileges because they're muslims...
Many Muslims worked and were in the twin towers during the 9/11 tragedy and even a pregnant muslim woman lost her life because of terrorists - Not Muslims.

8x More Muslims are killed by terrorists than non Muslims. I think they have more to be afraid of.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/surprising-study-on-terrorism-al-qaida-kills-eight-times-more-muslims-than-non-muslims-a-660619.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
If I were to ever fight a battle, it would be for a cause that I believe in myself. It would not be because someone told me to go and fight, and I'm getting paid to do it, so I have to. I value my own life too much for that.
The question is rather flawed.
For one, the only relevant people to answer are those that would fight for an army in the first place, alternatively, you also need to get statistics for the non Muslim population.
Suppose only 20% here said that they would fight you could draw conclusions saying that Muslims don't want to fight. However, if the results for the whole population only show a 10% rate you can draw a more meaningful conclusion of "Muslims are more likely to fight for Britain than non-Muslims".
Also, there is no need for a third option to see the results, there is a button clearly marked "view poll results".
Original post by hajs
Why would Muslims join the British army to kill other Muslims ? & When in history have the British ever aided Muslims. funny.:biggrin:

The British Army intervened in the Kosovo War about 16 years ago (1998-1999) on the side of the Kosovons, who were about 95% Muslim by population. Still, I'm confident that we still would have done the same had the Kosovons not been predominantly Muslim and likewise we still would have invaded Iraq irrespective of its religious demographics. The British and American governments are not targeting Muslims per se but rather are following their own geopolitical interests, which in the past 50 years have just so happened to overlap with regions that contain Muslim-majority populations.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by TheBeautyInTheGeek
I know a Muslim guy in the army, he is fighting the country he was born and raised in yet they don't accept him and constantly bully and torment him. Asking questions like 'would you shoot us or shoot them.' When he's clearly on their side.

That isn't worth it, so even if a Muslim wanted to fight in the army against a greater evil, I think the better question is would they even be accepted by their 'comrades' ?who on arrival to the opposing country say things like you can go back home now.
Some people don't even accept black football players, playing for England.

Edit - Also British Muslims are just as scared of terrorists as anyone else. They won't exactly get specially privileges because they're muslims...
Many Muslims worked and were in the twin towers during the 9/11 tragedy and even a pregnant muslim woman lost her life because of terrorists - Not Muslims.

8x More Muslims are killed by terrorists than non Muslims. I think they have more to be afraid of.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/surprising-study-on-terrorism-al-qaida-kills-eight-times-more-muslims-than-non-muslims-a-660619.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
sorry but can you give me more detail about the guy who not accepted by his fellow soldiers? do they be serious and treat him badly to? what background is he of, his parents are from etc
Looked into it already, so sure but I'm not so sure I'm the kind of person that would be able to deal with combat haha but anyway to help, sure (also if I was fit enough haha) British army are pretty decent and I know most people are saying we still shouldn't send troops to fight against ISIS but why the hell not? It's nothing like 2003

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hajs

You talk as if being Islamic and being British is mutually exclusive?
Maybe, if we declared war on America and Israel.
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
Maybe, if we declared war on America and Israel.

oh dear....why would we declare war on the US? why on Israel? (yes what Israel is doing is terrible but Hamas aren't really helping are they....)
Original post by Zeroic
sorry but can you give me more detail about the guy who not accepted by his fellow soldiers? do they be serious and treat him badly to? what background is he of, his parents are from etc

Sure, he is a former Marine and veteran if Iraq.

I meant fighting for* the country he was born and raised in, but his parents are originally from Somalia, so he's Somalian.

They are serious, they're not just teasing him because he's religious (which shouldn't be acceptable anyway), they fully verbally assault him, I don't know if it gets physical but he's been brave enough to share this much, so I wouldn't pry any further if I needn't.

It's hypocritical because they reject his help and leave him out, but if he left or never joined up in the first place the same citizens would complain that immigrants who want to be seen as part of that country should fight for it etc etc

Even putting on his uniform makes him a target, he gets the full frisk while others walk on by.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anwarpwnsall
oh dear....why would we declare war on the US? why on Israel? (yes what Israel is doing is terrible but Hamas aren't really helping are they....)

I never said that we would. If we did, it would probably be one of the most unlikely events to have ever occurred throughout history; but this is the only hypothetical situation that I could think of where I would actually consider fighting for the British Army.

Latest

Trending

Trending