The Student Room Group

Uni hall problems

I'm going to uni in September, and I've just found out which hall I'm supposedly staying in. It looks like it should be condemned and should by all rights have fallen down by now. I'm going to be sharing ONE, yes, that's right, ONE bathroom with 9, possibly up to 13 other people. We are responsible for cleaning the bathroom ourselves which is never going to happen.

This sounds really stupid but the thought of having to share a bathroom just makes me feel ill... I have a real problem with stuff not being clean and I know that if I go there I'm going to have to clean the bathroom before I want to use it - on every occasion. I've been in a total panic about it all of today and I'm seriously thinking about deferring my entry so I can get in a diffrent hall. I can't live somewhere as disgusting as this is going to be - I really can't. I'd rather live at home and commute the 4hr train journey every day just so I can get a clean shower. I have to be clean all the time, if I feel hot/sweaty/dirty it puts me on edge and I really can't cope with the thought of having so many people just using one shower cubicle. I can't do it.

Someone please help, because I'm really scared that I'll lose my uni place over this.

Scroll to see replies

Are you sure there is only one shower cubicle... Theres usually one 'bathroom', but that includes a couple of showers and maybe one bath.
Reply 2
Biffy Clyro
Are you sure there is only one shower cubicle... Theres usually one 'bathroom', but that includes a couple of showers and maybe one bath.

Even so - that many people and 2 showers - the idea makes me feel physically sick. Will they let me change immediately to another hall with an en-suite bathroom? Or even a smaller number sharing? There's no mention of sinks in the rooms either - I wouldn't keep an enemy like that! I really honestly truely can't live there, it would cause so much stress like it's doing to me now and I just can't cope with it.
Reply 3
Your a student now.. the quicker you accept this fact, the quicker you'll move on in life. Sharing a bathroom with a few other people is the least of your worries when you wake up after a heavy night out and see the remains of the kebab you had that night before..

Seriously, Do you relaly think they;d have put you in the room with the shared bathroom if they had en-suites avaliable?

just accept it.
I wish people would grow up and overcome their fears of sharing bathrooms. I share a bathroom with 6 other people and If I want the bathroom to be clean but no one else does then I get off my arse and clean the damn thing.

Everyone always goes on about sharing a bathroom in halls but you're going to have to share a bathroom if you live in a shared house in other years.
Reply 5
Anonymous
This sounds really stupid but the thought of having to share a bathroom just makes me feel ill...

Just think of all those other people who might currently feel disgusted about the prospect of having to share a bathroom with you. You'll soon make friends with the other bathroom Nazis and you'll keep the dirtbags in check. There will be enough of you to keep the place clean.
Reply 6
Anonymous
Even so - that many people and 2 showers - the idea makes me feel physically sick. Will they let me change immediately to another hall with an en-suite bathroom? Or even a smaller number sharing? There's no mention of sinks in the rooms either - I wouldn't keep an enemy like that! I really honestly truely can't live there, it would cause so much stress like it's doing to me now and I just can't cope with it.

Seriously, its not a big deal.

You're making the assumption you're going to be placed with people who are all unwashed barbarians, which is unlikely to be the case. Trust me, they shall want it to remain clean just as you do.

Don't take a gap year over this, its such an over-reaction. Bigger issues to be thinking about at this stage you know?
Reply 7
Thanks for your responses guys - I know I'm just being totally pathetic about the whole thing but I've seen shared bathrooms before and had to refuse to use them becuase they were SO horrible - you'd come out dirtier than you went in, or even catch something.
Reply 8
wear flipflops in the shower, and take some anti-bac wipes with you for the toilet when you wanna use it... and to clean the sink too, if you're that worried.

doubt you'll catch anything then!
Reply 9
Anonymous
Thanks for your responses guys - I know I'm just being totally pathetic about the whole thing but I've seen shared bathrooms before and had to refuse to use them becuase they were SO horrible - you'd come out dirtier than you went in, or even catch something.

You're gonna have to clean it if thats the case ain't ya? Or become like me, so used to dirt and grime no bacteria could possibly penetrate my bloods white chargers! Mwhahaa.
Reply 10
tehjonny
You're gonna have to clean it if thats the case ain't ya? Or become like me, so used to dirt and grime no bacteria could possibly penetrate my bloods white chargers! Mwhahaa.

I'm gonna have to clean the whole place before I even think about having a shower. It's gonna be scrubbed from top to bottom and I mean that. I'm panicking now at the thought of the state it's going to be in.
Reply 11
do you think that there's gonna be ****e running down the walls or something?
Reply 12
You're lucky i had to share a bathroom with 27 people, meaning 2 loos, 1 shower and 1 bath, stop complaining ffs!
Reply 13
Anonymous
I'm gonna have to clean the whole place before I even think about having a shower. It's gonna be scrubbed from top to bottom and I mean that. I'm panicking now at the thought of the state it's going to be in.

It won't be in a state, we always build things up in our minds to be worse than they actually are. Someone will have cleaned it before you arrive. If you immediately set about cleaning upon arrival you might also appear slightly odd to your prospective new friends and flatmates...

Seriously, some people will be mucky, some will be clean. Its up to you clean people to guilt trip/blackmail the others into being clean also :p:.

You do seem to have a rather odd obsession with hygiene...do you get ill alot? Usually the most hygienic of us are the most sickly, because they have poorly adapted immune systems...being dirty is the way to happiness!
Reply 14
suzie_h
You're lucky i had to share a bathroom with 27 people, meaning 2 loos, 1 shower and 1 bath, stop complaining ffs!

27 people? Jeez that really does put this into context!!
Reply 15
i was allocated the same type of halls, going into shared housing instead. whilst its ashame not to be in halls i have confidence in my ability to make new friends and wouldn't have been able to share a bathroom with 11 other people.
Reply 16
tehjonny
It won't be in a state, we always build things up in our minds to be worse than they actually are. Someone will have cleaned it before you arrive. If you immediately set about cleaning upon arrival you might also appear slightly odd to your prospective new friends and flatmates...

Seriously, some people will be mucky, some will be clean. Its up to you clean people to guilt trip/blackmail the others into being clean also :p:.

You do seem to have a rather odd obsession with hygiene...do you get ill alot? Usually the most hygienic of us are the most sickly, because they have poorly adapted immune systems...being dirty is the way to happiness!

Believe it or not I don't actually get ill often at all. I think the cause of all this is the stress that poor hygiene may cause me to get recurring eye infections which I did when I stayed at my ex's and the place was filthy.
Reply 17
It was one of the best years of my life, despite a lot of people and limited space and stuff, you seriously need to relax and take a chill pill.
Reply 18
sparkler
do you think that there's gonna be shiite running down the walls or something?

LOL exactly, your being worse than Monica in friends!!!Your a student you will have to live with this for, depending on course, at least 3 years sharing with other people.And like the quote there aint gna be bloody **** everywhere.Deferring your entry over a bloody shared bathroom is absolutely ridiculous, and get over your OCD for cleaning.Everyone has problems, I got a blooming 2 mile steep hill to get from my accomodation to the Uni campus just get on with it
Reply 19
suzie_h
It was one of the best years of my life, despite a lot of people and limited space and stuff, you seriously need to relax and take a chill pill.

Seconded. Well, the chilling part :p:.

Latest

Trending

Trending