The Student Room Group

Can I get into Durham for Physics with these AS grades?

I got As in Physics, Chemistry and History, but a B in Maths. I got Bs in all 3 Maths modules but was getting As consistently in practise papers. I did have some personal issues at the time: my Dad was diagnosed with a heart condition and had a serious operation around the time of my exams. I don't know if this could qualify as extenuating circumstances?
My school have said they will still predict me an A* in Physics, A in Maths and A*/A in Chemistry; I'm planning to resit C1 and C2 next year and get a tutor. I was hoping for Oxford but I can safely assume that's out of the question now. My GCSEs were reasonably good but not amazing: 5 A*s & 5As.
Also, is it worth doing AS Further Maths next year, or is it unlikely that I will be able to cope given my past performance?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well Durham wants A*AA and wants the A* in either Maths or Physics. They didn't say anything about Further Maths requirement so I think you should just focus on pulling your Maths up to an A or possibly A* and getting that A* in Physics. However, if you enjoy maths and believe you can do it, then take Further Maths at AS with your A2s. Looking at your grades, you seem capable xD
Original post by chemlover12
Well Durham wants A*AA and wants the A* in either Maths or Physics. They didn't say anything about Further Maths requirement so I think you should just focus on pulling your Maths up to an A or possibly A* and getting that A* in Physics. However, if you enjoy maths and believe you can do it, then take Further Maths at AS with your A2s. Looking at your grades, you seem capable xD

Thank you! I think I'll just continue with Maths, Physics and Chem next year and work as hard as I can to try and get A*AA! :smile:
Original post by brave.new.world
Thank you! I think I'll just continue with Maths, Physics and Chem next year and work as hard as I can to try and get A*AA! :smile:

Okay ^.^ Work hard, I hope you get the grade you want by the end of it all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending