The Student Room Group

Applying to university with A*A*BC or A*ABC

If the predicted grades are in the order of maths, further maths, geography and phyics would it be worth applying to a course which has entry requirements of A*AA or A*A*A, and in some sense are the B and C equivalent to one A. I want to do maths at uni so would the C in physics be a huge concern or not. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Original post by Benjamin646464
If the predicted grades are in the order of maths, further maths, geography and phyics would it be worth applying to a course which has entry requirements of A*AA or A*A*A, and in some sense are the B and C equivalent to one A. I want to do maths at uni so would the C in physics be a huge concern or not. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Drop Physics and try and achieve A*A*A. This looks far better. Universities look at quality not quantity so dont waste your time on a 4th subject. Far better to concentrate on 3.

Interestingly my son took Maths a few years ago and was taking Maths, FM, Geography and Geology and dropped Geology after year 12. He had offers off 4 universities namely Bath, Exeter, Lancaster and Aberystwyth. He withdrew from Durham due to the length of time they took to decide.

Some top Maths courses require STEP or an admissions exam on top of A levels which you need to look into.

Anywhere looking for A*A*A or A*AA is extremely competitive but by dropping Physics you will give yourself the best chance of getting in. Make sure 1 or 2 choices are below AAA.

Maths courses vary widely. Look at what the courses offer and what particular branch of Maths you are interested in.
Reply 2
B and C do not 'equal' anything.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Drop Physics and try and achieve A*A*A. This looks far better. Universities look at quality not quantity so dont waste your time on a 4th subject. Far better to concentrate on 3.

Interestingly my son took Maths a few years ago and was taking Maths, FM, Geography and Geology and dropped Geology after year 12. He had offers off 4 universities namely Bath, Exeter, Lancaster and Aberystwyth. He withdrew from Durham due to the length of time they took to decide.

Some top Maths courses require STEP or an admissions exam on top of A levels which you need to look into.

Anywhere looking for A*A*A or A*AA is extremely competitive but by dropping Physics you will give yourself the best chance of getting in. Make sure 1 or 2 choices are below AAA.

Maths courses vary widely. Look at what the courses offer and what particular branch of Maths you are interested in.

Firstly thanks for the reply and I appreciate your advice however at my sixth form further maths is not allowed to be a 3rd a level (so that would be the only one I would be allowed to drop) and a few months back they were not keen on me dropping it either as my other grades are not particulary great, but doing the 4 a levels is manageable. I do want to try and get into Durham but my other option is Newcastle and that is AAB so I should be alright for them at least
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
B and C do not 'equal' anything.

Thanks for the clarification so A*ABC is wasted when applying for A*AA then
Firstly thanks for the reply and I appreciate your advice however at my sixth form further maths is not allowed to be a 3rd a level (so that would be the only one I would be allowed to drop) and a few months back they were not keen on me dropping it either as my other grades are not particulary great, but doing the 4 a levels is manageable. I do want to try and get into Durham but my other option is Newcastle and that is AAB so I should be alright for them at least

Durham is very difficult to get into for Maths and I think now they require STEP. I would go back to your 6th form as their policy isnt helping you. When we went to an open day in Durham it was made absolutely clear that they want quality not quantity and they didnt care if someone had 6 A levels. It was the result in 3 that mattered.

If you are looking at Durham A* in Maths and A* in FM is vital and you need to be doing everything in your power to achieve that. You are also going to need to take STEP. Doing this and taking 4 subjects is inadviseable.

Go back to your school with this information and tell them you need to drop Physics. They are there to help you achieve your goals not to make things more difficult.
Reply 6
Durham is very difficult to get into for Maths and I think now they require STEP. I would go back to your 6th form as their policy isnt helping you. When we went to an open day in Durham it was made absolutely clear that they want quality not quantity and they didnt care if someone had 6 A levels. It was the result in 3 that mattered.

If you are looking at Durham A* in Maths and A* in FM is vital and you need to be doing everything in your power to achieve that. You are also going to need to take STEP. Doing this and taking 4 subjects is inadviseable.

Go back to your school with this information and tell them you need to drop Physics. They are there to help you achieve your goals not to make things more difficult.

I undestand Durham is extremely difficult to get into but it would not be the end of the world if I did not get into it as I do plan on exploring my options more before then but I definitely am considering taking STEP or TMUA or something like that. Doing 4 a levels may seem inadvisable but it is non negotiable at my sixth form and further maths must a 4th a level, I have asked this before whether I can drop physics. I also think if I work harder I could potentially get geography to an A and possibly physics to a B. So thanks for your advice however I will maintain doing the 4 a levels and will try to maintain my grades and make them better too
I undestand Durham is extremely difficult to get into but it would not be the end of the world if I did not get into it as I do plan on exploring my options more before then but I definitely am considering taking STEP or TMUA or something like that. Doing 4 a levels may seem inadvisable but it is non negotiable at my sixth form and further maths must a 4th a level, I have asked this before whether I can drop physics. I also think if I work harder I could potentially get geography to an A and possibly physics to a B. So thanks for your advice however I will maintain doing the 4 a levels and will try to maintain my grades and make them better too

That is your choice but dont complain if you fail to get into your chosen university dur to your workload. You should be concentrating on doing what you can to achieve your aims and your school should be supporting that. Taking a subject you have a C in isnt going to help you.
Reply 8
That is your choice but dont complain if you fail to get into your chosen university dur to your workload. You should be concentrating on doing what you can to achieve your aims and your school should be supporting that. Taking a subject you have a C in isnt going to help you.

I know and it'll be alright providing I work hard. I can always try to improve physics to a B next year anyways whilst maintaining the others but either way I'll be fine and can always go to Newcastle
I know and it'll be alright providing I work hard. I can always try to improve physics to a B next year anyways whilst maintaining the others but either way I'll be fine and can always go to Newcastle

Increasing the Physics to a B wont have any effect. The problem is the time spent doing so is taking away from your other subjects.

A few years ago I had a discussion with a first year Maths student in Swansea University.

She had ended up there in clearing as she missed Exeter's grades. She had been made to sit 4 A levels and the Welsh Bac at her school and this caused her to miss her grades. Her foolish school put their policies before the girl's future and she lost out because of it. Durham for Maths is far stricter than Exeter and anyone currently working at a grade C in a subject is foolish continuing with it. Your school is doing the same with you.

A girl in my friend's Maths class at college was absolutely brilliant and had offer for Cambridge. She had 4 A*s in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry and got rejected on results day because she was 1 grade down in her step Papers. This is how difficult it is to get into top Maths universities and highilghts why you need to take action to give yourself the best chance

The reasons schools do this is for their own self interest. They are looking to say our students have an average of X ucas points when they should be putting a students interest top of their agenda. If you are foolish enough to follow this then it is your look out. Had you had A*s in Geographty and Physics it would be more understandable. It is clear you have no understanding how universities work by thinking a B and C will be taken as an A.

For your future you need to inform the school you are dropping Physics. If necessary get your parents involved to take up with the school.

@Muttley79 is a Maths teacher of considerable experence. Maybe they can comment on this.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
Thanks for the clarification so A*ABC is wasted when applying for A*AA then

Unis look at 3 A levels - they will just ignore anything else. They do not think 'oooo clever'.
Drop whatever the C grade subject is and use you time more effectively to turn the B grade into an A.

AAA will always look better than BBBB and that is what taking 4 subjects risks - crazy when you dont need to - and remember BBBB could cost you a Uni place.
Original post by McGinger
Unis look at 3 A levels - they will just ignore anything else. They do not think 'oooo clever'.
Drop whatever the C grade subject is and use you time more effectively to turn the B grade into an A.

AAA will always look better than BBBB and that is what taking 4 subjects risks - crazy when you dont need to - and remember BBBB could cost you a Uni place.

This advice is from someone who works in admissions at a high ranking university which is top 10 in the UK for Maths. You cannot get better advice.
Reply 12

Get your parents involved -your school schould be supporting you. The top unis for Maths require Maths and FMaths plus one A level - they don't about a 4th.

I'm a Maths teacher and, to be frank, your school's policy is crazy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending