The Student Room Group

Desperate Need Of Help

Alrite, in a nutshell, im taking biology, psych,eng lit, economics. Ive just realised eng lit is like a random subject that im good at, but as i've heard its pretty hard. I want to pursue a career in the field of psychology.

Would it not be better to just take a soft subject like media instead of english? I mean like say I need AAB to get into a top uni like UCL it may be easier to achieve the A grade in something like media or sociology.

any help would be much appreciated.
If you are good at English Literature, and have an actual passion for the subject than choosing it over courses which are considered "less effective" subjects for degree preparation such as Media and Communication Studies, would be certainly a great advantage to your application. It pretty much depends on which of your AS-Levels you are planning to drop (if any). If you are planning to drop either Biology or Economics at the end of AS and take up a "soft subject" instead of English Literature, then your application would be weakened significantly since you would only be studying one traditionally academic subject which top universities love, and have two blacklisted subjects; which universities tend to frown upon when they appear in clusters on applications.

Anyway, i'd recommend you choose English Literature over soft courses, especially considering how you have a talent for a subject often considered pretty hard. :smile:
I am interested in psychology, have taken the same subjects as you, well i have maths instead of economics, and i am looking at top unis.

Psychology is pretty competitive so they can get quite picky. However, if you take media and drop it at AS i doubt there would be any problem.
michaelbenson
If you are good at English Literature, and have an actual passion for the subject than choosing it over courses which are considered "less effective" subjects for degree preparation such as Media and Communication Studies, would be certainly a great advantage to your application. It pretty much depends on which of your AS-Levels you are planning to drop (if any). If you are planning to drop either Biology or Economics at the end of AS and take up a "soft subject" instead of English Literature, then your application would be weakened significantly since you would only be studying one traditionally academic subject which top universities love, and have two blacklisted subjects; which universities tend to frown upon when they appear in clusters on applications.

Anyway, i'd recommend you choose English Literature over soft courses, especially considering how you have a talent for a subject often considered pretty hard. :smile:

Thanks for the help, I guess you're right about sticking with English lit. It's a much more widely recognised subject amongst the better unis, and taking it would help boost my personal statement.
ankreds
Thanks for the help, I guess you're right about sticking with English lit. It's a much more widely recognised subject amongst the better unis, and taking it would help boost my personal statement.

You see, it all makes sense now :smile:
Stick with English lit. You say you're good at it, so if you're willing to put the work in, it shouldn't be too hard for you to get an A. Taking a subject you think will be easy just because people who have never even studied it and have no idea what it involves look down on it is really not a good idea. You could end up really struggling with media or sociology, especially if you don't enjoy them, and even if you did manage to get a decent grade in them, top unis wouldn't be too impressed anyway. In defence of sociology though, it isn't on the blacklist for either LSE or Cambridge and is no less respected than psychology :p:

Latest