The Student Room Group

Is university ranking important?

So I'm a student studying in my country but it has partnership with many other UK/AUS universities. What I'm worried is that the university that were partner with is below top100 is that a bad thing? Well we actually have partnership with other universities that are in top 50 but our main partnership is below top 100. Does this effect my study or graduation prospect at all or the degree I get would be the same as a top 10 university?

source; http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
A degree from a real university is a degree at the end of the day.

I went to Edinburgh, I've had a few people think I must be quite clever because of it but not in the sense of helping get a job.
Once you're outside of Oxbridge the rankings aren't as important as people here say they are.
Reply 4
Anything ranked above 50 is good in my eyes. For you, however, I don't think the quality of the British university matters as the degree you'll get will be conferred to you by your home university.
Reply 5
thanks guys I appreciate it :smile:
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Once you're outside of Oxbridge the rankings aren't as important as people here say they are.

Even oxbridge isn't that special, and the only times it is are when people are specifically looking for the brand name.
I have no idea where my uni was ranked and I couldn't care less.

University ''prestige'' is talked about on here in such great importance, but i've never heard it mentioned at all anywhere else.
If you mean the UK Uni where you would do a Year Abroad or Exchange Year etc, then No, its doesn't matter at all. The point of doing a year in the UK is for the overseas cultural experience - your degree certificate will be from your home Uni so who is going to know or even care where you did an Exchange Year?

A great deal of utter rubbish is talked about 'prestige', 'rankings', 'League Tables' etc - things that only school students are obsessed about, no-one else. Useful summary of why its all meaningless here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_League_Tables_-_A_Users_Guide
Original post by Helloworld_95
Even oxbridge isn't that special, and the only times it is are when people are specifically looking for the brand name.

Oxbridge isn't that special? Nah. Just two of the best universities in the entire world. Means absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Oxbridge isn't that special? Nah. Just two of the best universities in the entire world. Means absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:

Define 'best'.

I suggest you read this before you just hit the reply button: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_League_Tables_-_A_Users_Guide
Original post by returnmigrant
Define 'best'.

I suggest you read this before you just hit the reply button: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_League_Tables_-_A_Users_Guide

I've just read that nonsense. Look, Cambridge University only aims to take the top 2% of students in that year's cohort. They now ask for A*A*A for science subjects and A*AA in arts subjects although their students typically achieve much higher grades. Oxbridge only accepts those who are the most academically brilliant as it is extremely competitive. And before you say that 20% of people who apply to Cambridge get an offer, yes I know that - it is a self-selected sample. Only those who are bright bother applying because there is no point otherwise so you will, therefore, be competing against the very best students. Look at the entry standards - that gives a good indication of the calibre of students bearing in mind that it takes into account pointless endeavours e.g. music grade, general studies, Duke of Edinburgh award, etc.

Cambridge and Oxford have the supervision/tutorial system which promises lots of contact hours with leading academics. You could be sitting in your supervisor's room and discussing an area of your discipline that they wrote award-winning and highly respectable books and research papers on. They look for more than just A Level grades. Cambridge, for instance, use measures that some other universities just ignore e.g. AS UMS, interviews, entrance exams, essays, etc. Additionally, whereas at most universities, from what I have gathered, where deadlines are usually set at 3 weeks to complete a 2,000-3,000 word essay, at Cambridge you get a measly 6 days to complete a similar length essay. Some subjects like HSPS actually require 2-4 essays a week! You are not only worked harder and encouraged to be more productive and resourceful, the content you cover and are expected to understand very well is often far more rigorous than that you would be faced with at other universities.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've just read that nonsense. Look, Cambridge University only aims to take the top 2% of students in that year's cohort. They now ask for A*A*A for science subjects and A*AA in arts subjects although their students typically achieve much higher grades. Oxbridge only accepts those who are the most academically brilliant as it is extremely competitive. And before you say that 20% of people who apply to Cambridge get an offer, yes I know that - it is a self-selected sample. Only those who are bright bother applying because there is no point otherwise so you will, therefore, be competing against the very best students. Look at the entry standards - that gives a good indication of the calibre of students bearing in mind that it takes into account pointless endeavours e.g. music grade, general studies, Duke of Edinburgh award, etc.

Cambridge and Oxford have the supervision/tutorial system which promises lots of contact hours with leading academics. You could be sitting in your supervisor's room and discussing an area of your discipline that they wrote award-winning and highly respectable books and research papers on. They look for more than just A Level grades. Cambridge, for instance, use measures that some other universities just ignore e.g. AS UMS, interviews, entrance exams, essays, etc. Additionally, whereas at most universities, from what I have gathered, where deadlines are usually set at 3 weeks to complete a 2,000-3,000 word essay, at Cambridge you get a measly 6 days to complete a similar length essay. Some subjects like HSPS actually require 2-4 essays a week! You are not only worked harder and encouraged to be more productive and resourceful, the content you cover and are expected to understand very well is often far more rigorous than that you would be faced with at other universities.

That doesn't mean anything when they're producing similar quality graduates to lower ranked unis though.
Just because a Uni asks for A* grades doesn't in itself make it a 'better' Uni.
That doesn't mean anything when they're producing similar quality graduates to lower ranked unis though.

Prove it. A 2.1 from Cambridge is on par with a first from other inferior institutions in terms of difficulty in attaining it.
Just because a Uni asks for A* grades doesn't in itself make it a 'better' Uni.

Re-read my post. Cambridge and Oxford look beyond just A Level grades. It is just one part of the whole admission process. The point I am making, which should be fairly obvious, is that Oxbridge use many different factors to differentiate between the very best and capable students as opposed to other universities who accept people based on personal statement and grades alone.
(edited 9 years ago)
What do you mean by 'better'?
Prove it. A 2.1 from Cambridge is on par with a first from other inferior institutions in terms of difficulty in attaining it.

You say that as if that matters. When employers are hiring graduates of lower ranked universities at similar or sometimes even higher rates in comparison to Oxbridge, clearly they don't find Oxbridge grads to be particularly great employees.
You say that as if that matters. When employers are hiring graduates of lower ranked universities at similar or sometimes even higher rates in comparison to Oxbridge, clearly they don't find Oxbridge grads to be particularly great employees.

That is because some employers do not take into account the quality of an Oxbridge degree in comparison to degrees from lower-ranked institutions. Some employers specifically discriminate in favour of Oxbridge graduates.

Anyway, the value of your degree is based on more than just what you can gain from employment afterwards. Your degree is about learning and expanding your knowledge and talent in the subject(s) you are passionate about. I strived to gain the best education I could so chose a top university - Cambridge.
What do you mean by 'better'?

I am sorry. Can't you read? Better students, better researchers (it is a research powerhouse after all), better graduates. Pretty simple really. The courses are far more rigorous and demand a higher level of effort and intellect.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what I personally think. I have provided you with plenty of information about; the admissions process and how it differs from other universities, the calibre of students Oxbridge look for amongst other extraneous details. You should be able to make the inference yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending