University of Lancaster
University of Durham
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath
University of Edinburgh

Course- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
As per Ranking I should go for Bristol.
Social life and education both are important to me.
Most of them need 6.5/10 GPA
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which course? What are your pros and cons for each?
Whichever one suits you and your interests the best. You have plenty of time so maybe go to some offer holders days to get a feel for the courses?
Reply 3
Original post by Niti862
University of Lancaster
University of Durham
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath

What course? What requirements? What are your predictions of what you will get in your A levels (YOUR predictions, not the inflated ones the teachers give)?

I applied for Computer Science and if I received offers from those places, I would probably firm Birmingham or Bath and insure with Durham or Bath, if Bath isn't firm.
Reply 4
Original post by vnayak
What course? What requirements? What are your predictions of what you will get in your A levels (YOUR predictions, not the inflated ones the teachers give)?

I applied for Computer Science and if I received offers from those places, I would probably firm Birmingham or Bath and insure with Durham or Bath, if Bath isn't firm.

Haven't heard good things about Birmingham as a city.
Reply 5
Original post by Niti862

That's true about all cities though.....there are some good parts and some dodgy parts.
Reply 6
How concerned are you about living costs? Birmingham and Lancaster would be cheaper places to live.
Reply 7
Lancaster has a good rep for things like business courses. Its not a big city but still has 3 clubs and multiple bars.And you usuall costa/maccy d's/ kfc/ greggs/primark /jd sports etc.
Also you have train links to Liverpool and Manchester, so possible internships there?

My eldest studies sciences, and the support at Lancaster has been really good. Also cheaper to live as well. https://thetab.com/uk/durham/2023/11/02/durham-students-are-physically-racing-for-accommodation-despite-code-of-practice-53213 and https://thetab.com/uk/bristol/2023/08/02/bristol-uni-to-house-students-in-wales-as-part-of-affordable-housing-scheme-56065 Durham and Bristol. As much as I love Durham and Bristol and they got high reputations, its worth thinking about. Birmingham and Bath are pretty good places :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Niti862

Bristol is worse and the accommodation shortage makes it one to avoid.
Original post by Niti862
University of Lancaster
University of Durham
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath

You have 3 small places and 2 big cities. What is important to you. Obviously Birmingham and Bristol will offer more nightlife whilst the other 3 are safer. Only you can decide what is right for you. All will offer good academic standards.
Original post by Niti862
University of Lancaster
University of Durham
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath

Hi there!

It's lovely that you're considering Lancaster as one of your options. As a student myself, I could give some insight into the university.

We are a top 10 uni and rank in the top 15 across the major league rankings. The management school, which most likely houses your chosen course is also among the top in the country. The usual grade requirements are ABB however this may vary based on the course itself.

I enjoy that the university is a campus university, which means that the whole university is situated in an enclosed space. The campus is very beautiful with lots of nature incorporated into it. I feel this gives it a nice vibrancy. We also have colleges which are positioned across the campus, the colleges house the student accommodations but also host bars and common areas where students from any college can come and unwind.

We do have some nightclubs in the town, one of which is the Student Union-managed nightclub, Sugarhouse, where only Lancaster University students and their guests can get into. If the nightlife seems a bit dull, we are closely linked to bigger cities like Manchester and Liverpool and it is quite common for students to travel to the nearby cities for a change of scenery.

I hope I have helped in giving an idea of life at Lancaster. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask!

Best Wishes,

Lancaster University Student Ambassador,
Glory.
Reply 11
Original post by Niti862
University of Lancaster
University of Durham
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath

Are you able to attend offer days as this is by far the best way to make this decision.Everyone is different and one person's nightmare is another's delight.
Reply 12
Original post by Niti862
University of Lancaster
University of Durham
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath

I am going to accept Bristol i think so.
People living in Birmingham and Durham have told me not to go these if city is important.
City is as important as the Uni.
Lancaster doesn't rank as good as other.
Bristol ranks the best in these and also an okayish city too.
Also accommodation isn't a problem.
So overall after looking at everything - uni, rank , how good it is, city and overall feel. I will go for Bristol
(edited 3 months ago)
What do you mean accommodation isnt a problem. Bristol has been placing students in Newport 31 miles away. There has been accommodation problems in Bristol for years and it is very expensive to rent there.

As far as rankings are concerned every ranking table is different and none are reliable. As an example Lancaster is ranked 122 by QS. It is ranked 10th in the UK by the Complete University guide. Bristol is ranked 55 by QS and 16 by CUG. QS and THE have always favoured older universities in larger cities so the likes of Bath and Lancaster dont do well. Have a look at QS for yourself and you will find universities in London, Manchester and Bristol always do well but no so well in the national tables
Reply 14
Original post by swanseajack1
What do you mean accommodation isnt a problem. Bristol has been placing students in Newport 31 miles away. There has been accommodation problems in Bristol for years and it is very expensive to rent there.

As far as rankings are concerned every ranking table is different and none are reliable. As an example Lancaster is ranked 122 by QS. It is ranked 10th in the UK by the Complete University guide. Bristol is ranked 55 by QS and 16 by CUG. QS and THE have always favoured older universities in larger cities so the likes of Bath and Lancaster dont do well. Have a look at QS for yourself and you will find universities in London, Manchester and Bristol always do well but no so well in the national tables

You are not helping me. Making it more difficult.
Help me picking the right one.
What you should be looking at is where you will feel happier. Which course including option modules interests you the most. What kind of city are you interested in. Are you looking for a big city that will offer you the best nightlife or a smaller city which has less crime you will fill most comfortable in. Rankings mean nothing and the overseas rankings favour big city universities. Compare Kings and Queen Mary in both CUG and QS to see the difference. Places like Bath and Lancaster consistently out rank Bristol in the UK rankings. How do you decide which table is right.

Go on course and living environment not a silly ranking table that means nothing.

The other issue is you dont need to make a decision now. You have until June at the earliest. Take your time in deciding. If possible attend visit days to see which feels right for YOU. What I or anyone else thinks doesnt matter. It isnt anyone else who has to spend 3 years somewhere and it is an awfully long time if your unhappy.
I know this is going to sound stupid but I chose based on which uni I could see myself actually studying at and enjoying. Although obviously rankings are going to play a role in your decision, don't let it weigh too much - it's better to go to a lower ranked uni that you enjoy going to than being miserable at one marginally ranked higher
Reply 17
Original post by Niti862
You are not helping me. Making it more difficult.
Help me picking the right one.

People like you deserve zero help as you are just rude.
Original post by Niti862
University of Lancaster
University of Durham
University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Bath

Durham
Original post by hriwksndjeiwibd
I know this is going to sound stupid but I chose based on which uni I could see myself actually studying at and enjoying. Although obviously rankings are going to play a role in your decision, don't let it weigh too much - it's better to go to a lower ranked uni that you enjoy going to than being miserable at one marginally ranked higher

This does not sound at all stupid!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending