The Student Room Group

"Depression Can Never Be Cured" - True Or False?

Scroll to see replies

As someone who has depression for seven years my goal isn't on cure, okay it would be lovely to wake up free from it. For me I treat it like any chronic condition something I learn to live with and it fluctuates day to day week to week. I try and keep my symptoms at bay and if it nags me it nags me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a major depressive episode last year when i was 16 going on 17. Suicidal thoughts, and all the other ****ty things that come along with it. I think that it is treatable, but not necessarily completely curable like a disease. Because it is to do with the mind, its obviously more complex than a simple parasite or whatever. Even though i feel much better at the moment, i start to miss being depressed, i miss being alone and i miss having my own little secret of my depressive world. I really miss that, and people call me strange, but there is something liberating about crying yourself to sleep every night, or self harming to feel release. Its stupid i know and I've probably romanticised it way too much in my head but its how i feel often. Whenever I'm happy, something i do will remind me of last year and ill start to feel those feelings again, so whilst i am feeling better emotionally, there is still that element of "depressive residue" from my major episode.
Reply 22
Its true in my case. I've had two major episodes of depression (first when I was 19/20, second when I was 24); between those and since the last I've had periods were I've felt completely fine and others were I've been depressed for a few months or weeks even if nothing is going wrong in my life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest