The Student Room Group

My view on obesity.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Greg Jackson
you can still eat carbs, just make sure you're at a calorie deficit

At this stage it's pretty hard because getting on a calorie deficit involves quite a bit of exercise. I want to get rid of carbs like rice as it will lower the calories down.

Although if I do more exercise I guess it'll make up for it.
Original post by jam278
The healthy food and being wealthy is a load of nonsense. Buying lunch from the chip shop costs £2 minimum and that doesn't even fill you up. A bag of large crisp won't fill you up and that costs 1.50.

Now if somebody just bought a large pack of oats to cook, or bought some healthy beans. You're talking about 60p a meal.

How much does it cost to go for a run or a cycle if you have a bike already? If you don't have a bike then you can run.

It's not "a load of nonsense", it's a matter of fact that there is an incredibly strong link between poverty and obesity. Now you are very welcome to deny this evidence but that's your problem, not mine. You appear to be completely clueless and impartial to the kind of lives people in actual poverty have to go through. Here's an article you might be able to understand. I hope the truth isn't too left wing for you.
Yes eating fatty and sugary and salty food is bad. Yes smoking is bad. Yet we do it. I mainly eat crap as I can't cook.
Original post by jam278
At this stage it's pretty hard because getting on a calorie deficit involves quite a bit of exercise. I want to get rid of carbs like rice as it will lower the calories down.

Although if I do more exercise I guess it'll make up for it.

I know, just saying you don't need to completely cut carbs if that's what you think you need to do to lose weight, you just cut them enough to create a decent calorie deficit while eating sufficient protein and fat to maintain lean bodymass and optimum hormone regulation, calorie deficit is best achieved through combination of cutting calories and exercise, just calculate your tdee and eat 500-1000 cals less than it each day, hit your protein and fat minimums and fill your remaining cals with carbs, simple
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 84
Original post by Chlorophile
It's not "a load of nonsense", it's a matter of fact that there is an incredibly strong link between poverty and obesity. Now you are very welcome to deny this evidence but that's your problem, not mine. You appear to be completely clueless and impartial to the kind of lives people in actual poverty have to go through. Here's an article you might be able to understand. I hope the truth isn't too left wing for you.

How about in africa where the people there are clearly thinner.

Yeah the people are all fat there right? That's poverty ffs not this oh I'm too poor so I gotta eat baked beans, chips, burgers and anything fried.

All those homeless people in England are fatsos too. :lol:

These are facts.
Reply 85
Original post by sunnydespair
Yes eating fatty and sugary and salty food is bad. Yes smoking is bad. Yet we do it. I mainly eat crap as I can't cook.

Then learn, it's not hard to boil pasta. It's not hard to make stew, it's not hard to make a salad.

I just see excuses.
Original post by jam278
How about in africa where the people there are clearly thinner.

Yeah the people are all fat there right? That's poverty ffs not this oh I'm too poor so I gotta eat baked beans, chips, burgers and anything fried.

All those homeless people in England are fatsos too. :lol:

These are facts.

I was going to continue this conversation until I read the bolded text. Seriously.
Original post by jam278
Then learn, it's not hard to boil pasta. It's not hard to make stew, it's not hard to make a salad.

I just see excuses.

Not an excuse. I do really need to learn though, you're right about that !
Reply 88
I was going to continue this conversation until I read the bolded text. Seriously.

You're talking about poverty and I talk about the place where the poverty is most rife.

How about the links to a lack of proper food education, which is more likely to be rife in poorer backgrounds as poorer people are less likely to have a good education? That's where poverty comes into the equation, not that they can't afford healthy foods, because my mum was living on one of the tightest budgets when I was a kid(£40 a week with 5 mouths to feed) and we still were able to make healthy meals. She never once broke out of that budget.
Reply 89
Original post by sunnydespair
Not an excuse. I do really need to learn though, you're right about that !

Fair enough.

Trust me it's not hard. How basic is your cooking atm? simple foods to learn to cook are stuff like noodles that you boil out the pan, add the sauce and mix. Then do the same with rice. You can make a very good meal with rice. Get some chicken pieces e.g from a shop that's already cooked, cut it into pieces, add a stock cube or two to the rice and put the chicken and veg there.

End up with a nice mixture, relatively healthy. Main thing is to learn to cook the basics then you can go to more advanced stuff.
Reply 90
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
That's related to athletes. Not your average Joe.

That's the point. IF isn't a faddy 'diet.'
Original post by samba
That's the point. IF isn't a faddy 'diet.'

I was actually referring to the 5:2 not just IF in generally. It's a faddy diet for most people, if its generally used for athletes.
Your claim that genetics have not been shown to be a major influence on obesity is wrong. Named genetic disorders might not be a major influence. That doesn't mean genetics isn't. It's a similar things to alcoholism or drug addiction. Addicts very rarely have actual genetic disorders which mean they're extremely likely to be addicts, but most have a genetic predisposition to be more likely to be addicts.

People have to eat (or rather overeat) to become obese. Being predisposed to being obese is useless if you don't have the resources to do so and that shows how environmental factors are the major influence, and how you have once again overestimated the impact of genetics. I have not denied that there are those who are predisposed to becoming obese, which has been made clear in my posts, but consider this: if it was genetic, then why is obesity on the rise? As shown here (http://www.noo.org.uk/NOO_about_obesity/trends), prevalence of adult obesity within the US and England have been rising dramatically. Even back in the early 1900s, obesity in the UK was rare. It should also be noted from the graph that Japan has shown very little changes, but obesity of the Japanese in diaspora (i.e in the US) have shown to be much higher than their domestic counterparts. This is a significant indicator that obesity is influenced mostly by the environment as opposed to genetics. You seem to have a strong view on the impact of genetics on obesity, I'm interested to know why.
Original post by Ade9000
People have to eat (or rather overeat) to become obese. Being predisposed to being obese is useless if you don't have the resources to do so and that shows how environmental factors are the major influence, and how you have once again overestimated the impact of genetics. I have not denied that there are those who are predisposed to becoming obese, which has been made clear in my posts, but consider this: if it was genetic, then why is obesity on the rise? As shown here (http://www.noo.org.uk/NOO_about_obesity/trends), prevalence of adult obesity within the US and England have been rising dramatically. Even back in the early 1900s, obesity in the UK was rare. It should also be noted from the graph that Japan has shown very little changes, but obesity of the Japanese in diaspora (i.e in the US) have shown to be much higher than their domestic counterparts. This is a significant indicator that obesity is influenced mostly by the environment as opposed to genetics. You seem to have a strong view on the impact of genetics on obesity, I'm interested to know why.

I absolutely agree with you that the environment is more important than genetics. As I said, genetics doesn't make you obese, it makes you more predisposed to becoming obese. If the society you live in is a society that makes it quite difficult to become obese, chances are you won't become obese. The problem - particularly in the western world - is that because of various economic and social problems, it is now easier for people to be obese than healthy. On top of that is the genetic factor. I never claimed that genetics is the single most important factor when it comes to obesity. What irked me was the arrogance of some people who, because of a juxtaposition of their social, economic and genetic factors, assumed that just because they can remain fit and healthy without much trouble that it must therefore automatically be easy for everyone else and that it's pure laziness stopping them.
Reply 94
socioeconomic factors loool we're in england not africa if you want to eat healthy food you can do so for cheaper than going to the chippy for lunch.

poverty food is **** like potatoes/beans/rice etc. which is healthy food that you won't get fat off straight away.
I see a point made above about obesity being linked to poverty.

It is not linked to poverty; it is linked to the piss-poor education that most people receive regarding food and its preparation.

You cannot tell me that it is cheaper to buy something form the chip shop or a fast-food chain, when you can buy low-carb, lean, high protein foods for such little money. What is boils down to is the fact that the parents of these poor, poor little children that I see walking around -- morbidly obese at the age of 10 or 11 -- cannot cook because they neither have the resources or the knowledge to prepare healthy food.

This extends to University, also. I know several dozens of people from a background I would call 'deprived' who just spend the entirety of their grants and bursaries either on alcohol or rubbish. While it sickens me to think that they are able to do this, it again boils down to education.

This will not change until the government or health authorities actually try to educate the masses on how to cook or prepare healthy food.

On the other hand, there are those fat ****s who just eat because they don't care about their bodies and for these people I neither have time nor sympathy. I am not trying to defend with my words above, either, because there is no excuse for anyone being obese or overweight in this day and age, but sometimes it is not the obese person who is to blame, or at least I don't think so, anyway.
Reply 96
Original post by 3309will
I see a point made above about obesity being linked to poverty.

It is not linked to poverty; it is linked to the piss-poor education that most people receive regarding food and its preparation.

You cannot tell me that it is cheaper to buy something form the chip shop or a fast-food chain, when you can buy low-carb, lean, high protein foods for such little money. What is boils down to is the fact that the parents of these poor, poor little children that I see walking around -- morbidly obese at the age of 10 or 11 -- cannot cook because they neither have the resources or the knowledge to prepare healthy food.

This extends to University, also. I know several dozens of people from a background I would call 'deprived' who just spend the entirety of their grants and bursaries either on alcohol or rubbish. While it sickens me to think that they are able to do this, it again boils down to education.

This will not change until the government or health authorities actually try to educate the masses on how to cook or prepare healthy food.

On the other hand, there are those fat ****s who just eat because they don't care about their bodies and for these people I neither have time nor sympathy. I am not trying to defend with my words above, either, because there is no excuse for anyone being obese or overweight in this day and age, but sometimes it is not the obese person who is to blame, or at least I don't think so, anyway.

Exactly.
Reply 97
You see, as an asian. Chicken in small amounts, low calorie lentils and brown rice has been a meal since i was 6 years old, Yet im here 30 kilograms overweight. As far as exercise goes i got to badminton competitions, clubs, weights and cardio in my local gym for 2 years straight. Any weight loss? No, because i have PCOS. You dont know what issues people have and thyroid issues isnt the only factor, hundreds of illnesses contribute to weight gain. If youre so passionate about your opinion how about you stop companies from using hormones and chemicals and E-chemicals in their veggies to make them look bigger and last weeks on the shelves?
Original post by 3309will
...It is not linked to poverty...I know several dozens of people from a background I would call 'deprived' who just spend the entirety of their grants and bursaries either on alcohol or rubbish...

Make your mind up, either a bad eating habit is linked to poverty/deprivation or it isn't, you can't make an argument having it both ways.
Original post by stargirl63
The thing is, people don't like facts, they don't like the truth. They would much rather say "I have a slow metabolism" and pig out every day. It's laziness to go to the gym, it's easy/cheap food options which make their lifestyle.

People say that "diets don't work" , they want an overnight fix and get annoyed and give up if they haven't lost a stone by the end of the week, even though this is years and years of unhealthy food.

Those who are drug addicts, smokers, alcoholics etc seem to get a worse time because it's seen as rude to openly berate an obese person. They will say "urgggh...smoking is disgusting! Do you know what you're doing to yourself?" and then say absolutely nothing when the fat person at the table orders dessert.

I think there is to much quick judgement as if you look at someone in the street you have no idea what is going on with them and yet if someone issues (eating) are obvious people think it is ok to take the mickey out of them for it

I think some people could stop lying to themselves but I don’t think obesity is recognised as a disorder enough as that is what it is, a more visible eating DISORDER

Quick Reply

Latest