The Student Room Group

~| Why Do Ugly People Still Exist? |~

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sherlockfan
i see nothing wrong with the second man's face apart from his teeth. face looks normal.

"
While it might seem like a chiefly cosmetic concern to have crowded teeth or an overbite, it goes so much deeper: a poorly formed maxilla (upper jaw) also affects the eye sockets that support and shape the eyeball (leading to things like astigmatism and near-sighteness), it supports the nasal airways, leading to deviated septums, asymmetrical noses, snoring and sleep apnea (a contributing factor in childhood ADHD, by the way). What if so many sleep issues are really due to our poorly formed airways? The implications are sort of staggering. "
curious. what evidence do you have to support this? 500 years ago people looked much the same as we do today. 1 million years ago, maybe.

Paintings, sketches by artists around that era... then again, it could well have been down to a poor diet like democracy said.
Original post by The Dictator
Why haven't their impure genes been bred out of society? Why are they still in in biological existence????

The logic of the human race is that the attractive will breed together whilst the unattractive die out. So why are there still ugly people walking about? Why aren't they DEAD, EXTINCT?

No one is ugly. Everyone is beautiful and handsome in their own unique ways :tongue: :smile:
Original post by Another
Paintings, sketches by artists around that era... then again, it could well have been down to a poor diet like democracy said.

you cant really expect to get a wholly accurate idea (or even a partially accurate idea) of what someone looks like through a painting....are you kidding?? most portraits from the tudor era dont even look like they could be real people.
scientifically they were homo sapiens, just like we are, and theres nothing to suggest that their genetic make up was remarkably different. of course with fluctuations in immigration etc that might change.
They are the comic relief
Beauty is subjective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by The Dictator
Why haven't their impure genes been bred out of society? Why are they still in in biological existence????

The logic of the human race is that the attractive will breed together whilst the unattractive die out. So why are there still ugly people walking about? Why aren't they DEAD, EXTINCT?

Because ugly is subjective.

Because as humans, we're far more emotionally developed so form attachments to people's personalities, rather than looks.

I know this is probably a troll, but I think you got the definition of logic wrong too, I think the word you wanted was purpose.
Reply 47
Original post by dreamgirl13
No one is ugly. Everyone is beautiful and handsome in their own unique ways :tongue: :smile:

Piers Morgan?
Original post by zKlown
Piers Morgan?

Everyone :smile:
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Speak for yourself.

J/K; actually, you made the point I was going to make before I could make it. I'd +1 it but I'm all out for today. Consider yourself appreciated.

Rep me later :biggrin:
you cant really expect to get a wholly accurate idea (or even a partially accurate idea) of what someone looks like through a painting....are you kidding?? most portraits from the tudor era dont even look like they could be real people.
scientifically they were homo sapiens, just like we are, and theres nothing to suggest that their genetic make up was remarkably different. of course with fluctuations in immigration etc that might change.

There's a reason why I didn't say "portraits". Since commissioned portraits are going to be of the noble and upper classes, so that's not going to be a fair representation of the population. There are many, many painting out there depicting the working class, and artists of the time drew what they saw in front of them... If you really wanted to you could compare skulls from the 1500's to the ones of 2000 and compare their bone structure.

Homo sapiens have alot of variation, I'm not sure where you were going with that point. I look remarkably different to my neighbour :lolwut: and did you completely gloss over the diet bit?
Original post by Another
There's a reason why I didn't say "portraits". Since commissioned portraits are going to be of the noble and upper classes, so that's not going to be a fair representation of the population. There are many, many painting out there depicting the working class, and artists of the time drew what they saw in front of them... If you really wanted to you could compare skulls from the 1500's to the ones of 2000 and compare their bone structure.Homo sapiens have alot of variation, I'm not sure where you were going with that point. I look remarkably different to my neighbour :lolwut: and did you completely gloss over the diet bit?
Thats because artists wanted to portray the poor in a certain way in order to send out a message that they are feckless etc. Its nothing more than an interpretation.There has been no proof to show that we are better looking. And as for diet, most people nowadays are obese.And i really doubt thered be much differennce in the skulls, apart from tooth decay perhaps, because as i said we are the same species, we havent suddenly over the last hundred years evolved into a more beautiful species.
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't worry, I'll die alone and childless so my ugliness won't get passed on.

I guess most 'ugly people' just marry each other or they have something else about them that attracts a good looking person.:dontknow:
Ok, here's a quick science for public session.The pic below is a comparison of ancient corn and domesticated corn by breeding.It took nearly 10000 years for corn to look like this.So obviously we need more sex and time as a species.
Reply 54
Original post by Maid Marian
Don't worry, I'll die alone and childless so my ugliness won't get passed on.

I guess most 'ugly people' just marry each other or they have something else about them that attracts a good looking person.:dontknow:

:unimpressed:

don't you be saying that. :no:
"Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" is a book entirely devoted to teeth and facial structure and concludes genetics has almost nothing to do with physical beauty.

All these people have the same genetics, yet one group has perfect faces whilst the other has tooth decay which will eventually begin a spiral of disease.

Watch this fascinating video which shows how mouth breathing can have a severe impact on craniofacial changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awrfGIAGQQU

Look at these two sisters. One is a mouth breather. One is a nasal breather.
reasons why people do not breathe through the nose,

1) allergies blocking the airways.
2) bad nutrition leads to bad nasal/sinus bone development

(edited 9 years ago)
Thats because artists wanted to portray the poor in a certain way in order to send out a message that they are feckless etc. Its nothing more than an interpretation.There has been no proof to show that we are better looking. And as for diet, most people nowadays are obese.And i really doubt thered be much differennce in the skulls, apart from tooth decay perhaps, because as i said we are the same species, we havent suddenly over the last hundred years evolved into a more beautiful species.

Tooth decay would most likely lead to tooth loss - after the the tooth's gone, the bone supporting it is reabsorbed into the body. You know how you see really old people with sunken mouths? Tooth loss! Then there's things like chronic Vit D deficit which could mess around with bone formation during childhood years, malnourishment/parasites causing stunted growth...

Otherwise, noted. Genetics probably isn't a factor after all.

Edit: And above... good lord, I look like a mouth breather. I could have been pretty, dammit -_-
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Another
Tooth decay would most likely lead to tooth loss - after the the tooth's gone, the bone supporting it is reabsorbed into the body. You know how you see really old people with sunken mouths? Tooth loss! Then there's things like chronic Vit D deficit which could mess around with bone formation during childhood years, malnourishment/parasites causing stunted growth...

Otherwise, noted. Genetics probably isn't a factor after all.

Edit: And above... good lord, I look like a mouth breather. I could have been pretty, dammit -_-

And your point is...?
I didnt say genetics wasn't a factor, quite the opposite actually.
This was quite interesting

Three Cases of Mouth breathing restored to nasal breathing.
Original post by geneticist
Ok, here's a quick science for public session.The pic below is a comparison of ancient corn and domesticated corn by breeding.It took nearly 10000 years for corn to look like this.So obviously we need more sex and time as a species.

That's some sexy ass corn. Damn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending