The Student Room Group

25 stone mother-of-two, wants MORE money from the government to help her diet

I read this and re-read it, I was hoping it was some sort of satire ...but think it is real.

This Woman is 26 years old, 25 stone ..and recieving £20,000 a year in benefits. She claims she cannot afford to eat healthy, that she is forced to eat junk food because of her budget and requires more money from the government so that she can afford to lose weight.

I did a quick scan of the items in her food cupboard, with the cost of just 4 of those (golden syrup x2, poptarts and jar of fluff) I can feed myself with 3 balanced meals a day for a week as well as wash it all down with a good 5 cups of tea a day.

I understand she is not just feeding herself but 2 children, though it seems clear to me she is getting the lions share of calories in that household.

What I am wondering is when exactly did Britain adopt this culture of victimhood? Some refer to it as welfare culture, but I do not like that term, I believe welfare is a good thing, it exists as a safety net for those not able to handle life or who are going through a rough patch, but when did this mentality of entitlement and victimhood envelope Britain?

I know some of TSR users are quite liberal and live in la la land believeing that the poor should be craddled and are entitled plasma screen TV's and the latest iPhones a such. But can't those liberals see that these people are abusing a system that is in very real danger of breaking under the pressure being placed on it.

A lot of people suggest the government has no place telling people how to spend their money, and I agree ...except benefits are not their money, it's tax payers money and when recieving benefits you should think of it as such, whether you have paid in your whole life or never paid a penny in your life, the government should implement a food stamp system where a portion of the weekly benefits paid come in the form of vouchers that can ONLY be redeamed for fruit or veg, fresh or frozen, make it mandatory for all supermarkets to accept them and accompany with the vouchers a small nutrition sheet and healthy recipe ideas booklet.

It is possible to eat a well balanced and healthy diet on £10 a week per person, if you a feeding more the cost per person can even be reduced by bulk buying.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2768442/It-s-not-easy-overweight-benefits-says-25-stone-mother-two-wants-MORE-money-government-help-diet.html
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The ****ing state...
Reply 2
What a hero
DM clickbate.
Original post by caravaggio2
DM clickbate. ���

I don't follow.

:confused:
Original post by bubadeeboop
I read this and re-read it, I was hoping it was some sort of satire ...but think it is real.

This Woman is 26 years old, 25 stone ..and recieving £20,000 a year in benefits. She claims she cannot afford to eat healthy, that she is forced to eat junk food because of her budget and requires more money from the government so that she can afford to lose weight.

I did a quick scan of the items in her food cupboard, with the cost of just 4 of those (golden syrup x2, poptarts and jar of fluff) I can feed myself with 3 balanced meals a day for a week as well as wash it all down with a good 5 cups of tea a day.

I understand she is not just feeding herself but 2 children, though it seems clear to me she is getting the lions share of calories in that household.

What I am wondering is when exactly did Britain adopt this culture of victimhood? Some refer to it as welfare culture, but I do not like that term, I believe welfare is a good thing, it exists as a safety net for those not able to handle life or who are going through a rough patch, but when did this mentality of entitlement and victimhood envelope Britain?

I know some of TSR users are quite liberal and live in la la land believeing that the poor should be craddled and are entitled plasma screen TV's and the latest iPhones a such. But can't those liberals see that these people are abusing a system that is in very real danger of breaking under the pressure being placed on it.

A lot of people suggest the government has no place telling people how to spend their money, and I agree ...except benefits are not their money, it's tax payers money and when recieving benefits you should think of it as such, whether you have paid in your whole life or never paid a penny in your life, the government should implement a food stamp system where a portion of the weekly benefits paid come in the form of vouchers that can ONLY be redeamed for fruit or veg, fresh or frozen, make it mandatory for all supermarkets to accept them and accompany with the vouchers a small nutrition sheet and healthy recipe ideas booklet.

It is possible to eat a well balanced and healthy diet on £10 a week per person, if you a feeding more the cost per person can even be reduced by bulk buying.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2768442/It-s-not-easy-overweight-benefits-says-25-stone-mother-two-wants-MORE-money-government-help-diet.html

How can you eat well for £10 a week?
Since when has the state been giving the poor plasma TVs and iPhones?
I don't follow.

:confused:

DM the Daily Mail are famous for running pieces that are calculated to goad and enrage its readers who then click on the article.
For every person that clicks on, they get a revinue.
The more people they enrage, the more they click hence clickbait.😊
Original post by cheeriosarenice
How can you eat well for £10 a week?

Baked beans 24p a can (X7 = £1.68)
1kg Rice 40p
1kg oats 80p
1kg frozen veg 90p
500g beef heart £1.10
pack of cooking bacon 90p
Milk £1 for 4 pints (x2 = £2)
£9.78
Oh yeah, I read this story earlier today on the Daily Mail site. I don't like insulting people, but she sounds like a right idiot. She complains about not being able to afford the gym, but there are plenty of free ways to exercise - jogging, walking, and dancing to the radio in your house are three I can think of straightaway off the top of my head. Plus, I swear takeaways are pretty expensive compared to making your own meals from scratch? So much ignorance in her head :facepalm:

Instead of the government giving her more benefits she doesn't need, they should hand her leaflets on healthy living on the cheap.
Don't get this since frozen veg for like 1kg is like £1.00 to £1.50 and and apple or banana is like 30p n tesco ? Maybe she can't cook healthy food? So she eats easy frozen junk rubbish.
Original post by apitchfork

The state don't as far as I'm aware ..why who said the they were?

DM the Daily Mail are famous for running pieces that are calculated to goad and enrage its readers who then click on the article.
The more people they enrage, the more they click hence clickbait.

ahh, didn't know that, every day is a school day lol

The more people they enrage, the more they click hence clickbait.😊

ahh, didn't know that, every day is a school day lol
Our family live on less than half that and we can afford fruit. I don't know, she could have got help but I honestly think money won't solve it for her, she's already getting enough as it is and it hasn't helped...
In my world she would either slim or die but either way, hard working people would not be paying for it.
She has no excuses, and is a poor example for any children out there. Can't afford to eat healthily? Nonsense, you just can't be bothered. Can't cook healthy food? Nonsense, you just can't be bothered. Can't afford to exercise and cut down on junk? Nonsense, you just can't be bothered. Such a large portion of society today has self-imposed health issues due to a lack of care or effort.

Why bring up the issue of 'entitlement' otherwise?
Why bring up the issue of 'entitlement' otherwise?

eh?

I do believe i said

"I know some of TSR users are quite liberal and live in la la land believeing that the poor should be craddled and are entitled plasma screen TV's and the latest iPhones a such."

I never mentioned what the state does or does not give, hence my confusion at your question.

No one stated what you questioned, very strange.
"the poor should be cradled and are entitled plasma screen TVs and the latest iPhones a such".

Why use the words cradled and entitled? What does that have to do with in relation to the poor having TVs and phones?
These people have no shame.

The only reason she can eat at all is because the taxpayer has the kind heart to support her. If she wants more money, be it for eating healthier or anything else, then she should work a day in her life. I will never understand the thought process 'something is wrong in my life. The government should do something about it'. It's cowardly. Grow a pair and recognise that only you can make the changes to improve your life!

Also, of course the ideal would be to eat good, nutritious food but if she wants to lose weight less food costs less than more food...
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending