The Student Room Group

anyone here tried Ritalin?

If so does it help you to study

If I took it could I just study for days straight?
Reply 1
Original post by nohomo
If so does it help you to study

If I took it could I just study for days straight?

If only there was a pill for that :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by AdamCee
If only there was a pill for that :frown:

It'd be awesome.

I find that exercise sometimes helps
Reply 3
I've heard people say it helps them study for days. I've heard people get addicted and ruin their lives. These drugs are for mental illness where the risk of addiction is worth it to treat the seriousness of the illness. If you want to try it make a case to a gp. Buying them from dealers is a slippery slope.
Always happy to give advice on this but my standard disclaimer applies of course:

Taking medication that's not prescribed for you is VERY dangerous as well as potentially fatal, not to mention the resulting attention from plod should you get caught in possession of it without lawful reason.

I'm an ADHD sufferer for a number of decades but was only diagnosed 2 years ago and am prescribed Ritalin for it. You can get 2 types, short and long release - mine is short release so the results are a more dramatic but wear off quicker. Ritalin can be a toxic drub and generally leaves your system in about 4 hours. When I take it (different people get prescribed different doses) I feel the effects after about 20 minutes, it's hard to truly to explain how it feels but I then get a tremendous burst of frenetic energy which makes me feel like a rock star, Superman and a billionaire all rolled in to one. I get extremely happy and confident, not to the point where you feel you could take on 10 MMA fighters or anything silly like that but I get chatty, sociable and feel I can say things that without it I'd never consider saying. I can get focussed on tasks easily and my productivity at work goes through the roof. This lasts for about an hour so anything important that I need to do gets done in that time as well as figuring out stuff for the rest of the day when I'm not on it.

Now the downsides.

As it leaves my system I get a major 'downer'. I wouldn't call it depression but I get pretty gloomy and worry over the smallest things. It's really not a nice feeling and nothing brings me out of it.

It also raises your heart rate and blood pressure which is why your psychiatrist will get an ECG report before prescribing it and again each month as well as regular blood pressure checks. Any changes or fluctuations and you'll likely be off it for a while or the dose will get lowered. I'm pretty fit for my age and even I had an atrial fibrillation episode last year from it.

So for these reasons I would highly recommend that nobody take Ritalin unless prescribed, even as a one-off it can give you heart problems. Everyone reacts differently to different doses which is why when you start off you get a low dose and gradually build it up. Popping some to help you study means you have no idea if the amount you're taking is too much for your heart to handle and your body won't have had time to adapt.

In a word - don't.

Oh and unless you're under 16 you won't get it from a GP - it has to come from a psychiatrist.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest