The Student Room Group

What is so wrong in today's society with being a 'slut'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Implication
So women who sleep around can't be saved? Right.

Why?

Its repulsive that people should be able to sleep with who they choose? You are repulsive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you think being a whore is something to take pride in? I think repulsive is the wrong word, it's down right backward to think being a slut is acceptable. No self respecting woman with awareness would ever agree with such a suggestion. Having sex with multiple people disgusts me. It's cheap and tacky.

If you're happy for your daughter, sister, mother to do the same, let me know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Catholic_
So you think being a whore is something to take pride in? I think repulsive is the wrong word, it's down right backward to think being a slut is acceptable. No self respecting woman with awareness would ever agree with such a suggestion. Having sex with multiple people disgusts me. It's cheap and tacky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only 'justification' I'm seeing for this is that you are disgusted by it, and we'll probably go to 'hell'. Neither of which are logical justifications for your beliefs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a difference between a whore and a slut. A whore gets payment but may be less choosy about the person she goes with. A slut does it for nothing but with the person of their own choosing.

Some might say the whore is worse some might say the slut is but whatever they aren't the same thing.

You still haven't given any reasoning, so - surprise surprise - I don't see any problem with it.

My mother is still in a monogamous relationship with my father, I have never had a sister and don't have a daughter. I like to think that if I did have a sister I wouldn't try and stop her sleeping with who she wants, and so with any future daughters - once they are independent and of age it's none of my business. I really don't see what you think is so controversial about this. Why is it wrong to sleep with multiple people?

Incidentally, do you feel the same about men who sleep with multiple women?
Original post by Folion
Personally I wouldn't consider a guy who slept around a "legend" but that's just my opinion.

I still think most of this comes back to procreation and the impact of conception even if at a subconscious level. Also society doesn't take too kindly at financially supporting children born from casual sex to parents who are/were flippant about it and had/have no means to support that child.

We can try and make attitudes politically correct but unfortunately human physiology is not so. As good as modern contraception is with the best will in the world it isn't 100% even if you're careful. Everybody male and female should bear in mind that if they have sex there is a chance, even if remote, that a pregnancy could result. Should a unplanned/unwanted conception occur then it is unfortunately the female it will impact to the greatest extent especially physically.

A pregnancy can only result in one of the following

1) a baby
2) a miscarriage/stillbirth
3) a termination

All of the above can impact greatly on the woman physically if not mentally and all can pose risks of detriment to her health. If the sex that caused the pregnancy was casual there is an increased chance that the father may not be on the scene subsequently or in some cases even be aware there was a pregnancy or even a child and from an ultimate choice point of view how to proceed is the woman's anyway.

So given that the woman is likely to be viewed as the greater burden on society because of medical needs and assistance in supporting the child it's probably the case that women are discouraged from and punished for casual sex more than men

And for all those people thinking the chances are miniscule and "it won't happen to me it only happens to the other person" to everyone else you are the "other person".

Yeah I agree with exactly what you're saying. I don't agree with the whole legend thing either, but in south wales it's a very typical stereotype. I think there are a lot of women who aren't careful enough, the same as there are a lot of men who don't care about it, however I do believe that if a woman doesn't have the finances or social stability to have a child without massive amounts of benefits then she should take extra care and precaution to make sure she isn't in that situation and isn't a burden on society. Yes accidents can happen, but things can be done to avoid them. I really don't think young women are educated enough about long term contraception and things like that.
Jesus didn't die on the cross for women to sleep around with strangers for facebook 'memories' or girl gossip.

Most sluts will end up in hell fire. sadly. I would like to educate and save many whores but they won't listen.

The question is repulsive. I'm deeply concerned about the psychology of people nowadays.

It really shouldn't be other people's psychology you are worrying about, I'm afraid to tell you.

Ever consider actually being open minded to the different desires of different people instead of just condemning them to hell? I like how you're only concerning yourself with one small part of the question, just spreading your bigoted views around. Have you even read the actual main post?
There's nothing unethical about being sexually promiscuous, as long as the people you have sex with are aware that its just casual, and as long as you don't have a partner, or are having sex with people who do have partners. End of discussion.
Original post by KingBradly
There's nothing unethical about being sexually promiscuous, as long as the people you have sex with are aware that its just casual, and as long as you don't have a partner, or are having sex with people who do have partners. End of discussion.

Re the bold: What about polyamory?

Re italics: Thats an interesting idea. Is it unethically to have sex with someone who has a partner? Or is it only unethical for the person who is partnered?
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Re the bold: What about polyamory?

Oh yeh forgot to mention that. It's can be ethical to have sex with someone if you have a partner, but only as long as your partner agrees with it.

Original post by RandZul'Zorander

Re italics: Thats an interesting idea. Is it unethically to have sex with someone who has a partner? Or is it only unethical for the person who is partnered?

Hmm good question actually. I suppose in a way it's not unethical to have sex with someone who has a partner, as their agreement is not something which you have volunteered to adhere to or be a part of. But non-the-less I couldn't help but question the morality of someone who has sex with, for example, a person who is married with children. But whether it's really them who is being unethical, I'm not sure.
Original post by KingBradly
Oh yeh forgot to mention that. It's can be ethical to have sex with someone if you have a partner, but only as long as your partner agrees with it.

Hmm good question actually. I suppose in a way it's not unethical to have sex with someone who has a partner, as their agreement is not something which you have volunteered to adhere to or be a part of. But non-the-less I couldn't help but question the morality of someone who has sex with, for example, a person who is married with children. But whether it's really them who is being unethical, I'm not sure.

To put it another way if you are being deceitful or knowingly aiding and abetting deceitfulness then it is immoral (imho)
Original post by Folion
To put it another way if you are being deceitful or knowingly aiding and abetting deceitfulness then it is immoral (imho)

Yeh that's succinct. I think that's pretty much the be-all and end-all of it.
Original post by Folion
Yes I think we're pretty much singing from the same hymn sheet :smile:

What I wouldn't want to see happen is women thinking they can decrease their contraceptive use because of any stronger research and education aimed at male contraception ie relying on the man especially in a casual sex scenario.

Hopefully, that won't be the case. If we teach that contraception is an individual responsibility, irrespective of gender, I believe contraception will be practiced roughly equally across the genderspectrum. Then, of course, there's still the issue concerning actually reaching every man and woman regarding the information. Symptoms of lack of education can be observed widely.

Original post by Folion
It's hard to get the balance right but I feel come what may women really must be more contraceptively protected because of the physical consequences for them. Men then don't think it's as important for them (erroneously ) and so get resentful if they get "trapped" by a partner/ex partner/casual partner being pregnant. Perhaps "sluts" are seen as a bigger risk from men who don't want to be trapped and women who don't want their potential partners to be trapped.

I such a case, I would understand if the men feel "trapped", but I really think that would be an irresponsible and somewhat sexist way of going about the issue. Since conception is a two way act, expecting only women to be protected and ignoring males' part in intercourse would be setting different rules simply because of gender. The woman might be the one having to go through the bodily changes, after having been concieved but in my mind that doesn't change the distribution of responsibility concerning conception. Pregnancy is a result created by a cause: the act of concieving, were both a famale and male are necessarily needed. Therefore, a man should take as much sexual precaution as a woman. They share an equal responsibility. The male mindset you discribed must be counteracted for the safety and convenience of everyone.

I'd say a careless
contraceptive attitude is much more of a danger to everyone involved, than a promiscuos but contraception aware woman.
Its generally a sign that a woman lacks depth of morality and education. The public should not also have to foot the bill of reckless single mothers and in every way is better all round for the society if women confine their copulations to marital reproduction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending