The Student Room Group

y=ax+b law of indices question

I have a maths question on my coursework, the first one! I am a bit rusty and would like help please. The question is

Express 6^y+1=36^x-2 in the form of y=ax+b

also any help on part b would help a lot too!
b) Find the value of (4)^-1/2y

any help would be much appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by adli93
I have a maths question on my coursework, the first one! I am a bit rusty and would like help please. The question is

Express 6^y+1=36^x-2 in the form of y=ax+b

also any help on part b would help a lot too!
b) Find the value of (4)^-1/2y

any help would be much appreciated :biggrin:

You need to use brackets but I'm guessing you mean 6y+1=36x26^{y+1}=36^{x-2}?

You need to use the fact that 36=6236=6^2 so

6y+1=(62)x26^{y+1}=(6^2)^{x-2}

Next use the index law (ab)c=ab×c(a^b)^c = a^{b\times c} to change the right-hand-side.

Post all your working if you get stuck.
Reply 2
Are you sure you got the question right for the first one?

For the second, use the rules for indices.

EDIT: For the first one I'm guessing there should be some brackets in there. Do you mean 6y+1=36x26^{y+1}=36^{x-2}?
Reply 3
Original post by notnek
You need to use brackets but I'm guessing you mean 6y+1=36x26^{y+1}=36^{x-2}?

You need to use the fact that 36=6236=6^2 so

6y+1=(62)x26^{y+1}=(6^2)^{x-2}

Next use the index law (ab)c=ab×c(a^b)^c = a^{b\times c} to change the right-hand-side.

Post all your working if you get stuck.

Yes I forgot to put in the brackets

6^(y+1)=6^2(x-2) is not quite in the form of y=ax+b, so shall I move the numbers to one side or expand (6^2)^x-2 to = 6^2x-4?

For b) because-1/2y is negative I would need to change that positive before I apply indices law?
Original post by adli93

6^(y+1)=6^2(x-2) is not quite in the form of y=ax+b, so shall I move the numbers to one side or expand (6^2)^x-2 to = 6^2x-4?

For b) because-1/2y is negative I would need to change that positive before I apply indices law?

Bolded.
Reply 5
Original post by adli93

You need to expand as you say so you have

6y+1=62x46^{y+1}=6^{2x-4}

Since both sides are powers of 6, can you see what you can do next?

You still need to use more brackets when posting. See here for more info.
Reply 6
Original post by notnek
You need to expand as you say so you have

6y+1=62x46^{y+1}=6^{2x-4}

Since both sides are powers of 6, can you see what you can do next?

You still need to use more brackets when posting. See here for more info.

Not really sure.. group the 6's to one side. But what would I do with ^(y+1) and ^(2x-4). How can I type the equation like you can? Would help you and others view it easier
Reply 7
Original post by adli93
Not really sure.. group the 6's to one side. But what would I do with ^(y+1) and ^(2x-4). How can I type the equation like you can? Would help you and others view it easier

If 10a=10b10^a=10^b, what can you say about a and b?

To type equations like that use latex.
Reply 8
Original post by james22
If 10a=10b10^a=10^b, what can you say about a and b?

To type equations like that use latex.

Well a and b are powers of 10. What I do not understand is what to do because the = sign is there.
Reply 9
Original post by adli93
Well a and b are powers of 10. What I do not understand is what to do because the = sign is there.

a and b need not be powers of 10, you could have a=2 for example.

Would it be possible to have a=2, b=3? What about a=5, b=7? What link is there between a and b?
Reply 10
Original post by james22
a and b need not be powers of 10, you could have a=2 for example.

Would it be possible to have a=2, b=3? What about a=5, b=7? What link is there between a and b?

My mistake. Yes it would be possible. I would say they are numbers. Referring to the question, a and b are (y+1), (x-2) respectively
Original post by adli93
My mistake. Yes it would be possible. I would say they are numbers. Referring to the question, a and b are (y+1), (x-2) respectively

Are you saying that you could have a=2 and b=3? In that case, you would have 10^2=10^3, and so 100=1000 which is certainly not true.

This does link in with your question, but it's a simplified case to help you see what's going on.
Reply 12
Original post by adli93

You're missing the point and overcomplicating (or over-thinking) things!

If you are told that 10a=10b10^a = 10^b what can you immediately say about a and b?

Quick Reply

Latest