The Student Room Group

are you nicer if you have down syndrome?

Are you nicer if you have down syndrome? This seems to be the myth. There's a Facebook group with tens of thousands of likes, including likes from conservatives i know, for two kids with down syndrome. Where's the Facebook page celebrating me for having schizophrenia? It's bizarre. We're all burdens with our issues according to certain political ideologies. Lots of people eat animals and treat them worse because they think they're less intelligent...so by that reasoning a Facebook group should be there celebrating me which has hundreds of thousands of likes, since I'm more intelligent than most people with down syndrome. Also I cost less because I will probably start working soon and also my only care is a psychiatric appointment every few months and some medication.

At a volunteering place I used because I had no references they catered to people with learning difficulties and people with mental health issues.

I was there on mental health grounds.

There was a guy there with down syndrome and he had a really short temper and could be nasty.

One time the manager praised me for doing something well...I'd turned up day in day out for no money when my issues made it painful and picked up the slack of people including the guy with down syndrome who turned up for about an hour every few days. So after i was praised the down syndrome guy started clapping and smiling and I smiled at him and thought...what a Nice guy. Then he stopped clapping, glared at me and said "well done. You did your job."...wtf

There were other things too.

Sorry if i seem callous. A classic feature of my conditions is lacking empathy. I don't advocate genocide or cutting off their support. I think i care. I just feel a bit left out of all the love for being disabled. You could maybe convince me that genetic engineering and abortion are good ideas to prevent future disability. Disability is awful for the sufferer and it's all well and good for someone to say they'll love their severely disabled kid when he's born...but it ceases to be purely their choice when other people are expected to pay for their kid's disability
Nicer how! You have to remember that people with down syndrometend to have learning disabilities and with that, comes a lack of understanding.
Start your own pity parade if you feel left out of theirs.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Start your own pity parade if you feel left out of theirs.

Lol who are you?
Original post by nohomo
Lol who are you?

I'm you
Reply 5
They are, actually. Well, I have only known one boy with Downs Syndrome, but he was nice. You know how? He wasn't selfish, he didn't try to manipulate others, nor did he judge them for having different personalities to his... yeah I'd say he was much nicer than many other people I know.
Original post by llys
They are, actually. Well, I have only known one boy with Downs Syndrome, but he was nice. You know how? He wasn't selfish, he didn't try to manipulate others, nor did he judge them for having different personalities to his... yeah I'd say he was much nicer than many other people I know.

This is my experience too.

Quick Reply

Latest