The Student Room Group

What does a colorimeter measure?

Ok can you tell me what it measures in THIS experiment please- basically recently I did an experiment to see how temperature effects the permeability of the cell membrane by using a beetroot, I used a colorimeter well my teacher did lol. But what does it exactly measure in this experiment?
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
A colorimeter measures how much light is reaching its detector. So, what it does is it shines a light through the substance (in your case the cuvette of beetroot juice) and it detects how much light of that wavelength actually passes straight through and reaches the detector.

If the beetroot's membrane has a HIGH permeability, lots of pigment will escape the membrane and go into the water, making it darker/more coloured. The light from the colorimeter will therefore have a difficult time passing straight through, because coloured objects absorb light at certain wavelengths.

If the membrane has a LOW permeability, the water/solution will stay pretty much colourless so lots of light will come through and be detected. Imagine standing behind a fish tank: if the water is colourless, you can see straight through. If it's green, things become less clear. :smile:

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending