The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XV

mum keeps asking whether I have my results for my second exam yet :/ I know I'm going to have ended up just scraping a D :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Urgh i hate people like that, and suprisingly so do teachers!

I took an english GCSE early and we got our results one lunch time, and our deputy ear head came in to the room to see how wed done, and i remember one girl was crying so he went over to her to find out why and she was literally in tears cos she got an A instead of an A*!!! She wanted to resit, so he left her to it, came over to me cos i had a massive grin and was really happy so he asked what i got and i said a C and he was proper proud of me!
He was more proud of my C than that girls A haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always found this hard. I have been disappointed with good results because I knew that I could have done better but it's hard to complain about the A that should have been an A* because it comes across badly. People should be proud of achieving their best but saying you aren't allowed to be disappointed if you get a mark other people would think is good kind of sucks. Doing it to humble brag is different but if someone is legitimately disappointed that should be accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9922
Original post by Valvopus
I always found this hard. I have been disappointed with good results because I knew that I could have done better but it's hard to complain about the A that should have been an A* because it comes across badly. People should be proud of achieving their best but saying you aren't allowed to be disappointed if you get a mark other people would think is good kind of sucks. Doing it to humble brag is different but if someone is legitimately disappointed that should be accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I used to find this hard too :/ like I would be so proud of my friends for getting the grades that they wanted - whatever they were - but sometimes had to hold in that I wasn't completely happy with mine because I felt like I could have done better.
here comes the sun dodo dodo

why are people saying i'm vulnerable I'm just enjoying the waves rocking in the early hours back and forth
guys I have a wonderful problem I am on a higher plane, I am thinking the most fantastic thoughts why should sleep matter? what need I materials of mortals I feel so alive and in control this earthly body is only holding me back from my true potential
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
guys I have a wonderful problem I am on a higher plane, I am thinking the most fantastic thoughts why should sleep matter? what need I materials of mortals I feel so alive and in control this earthly body is only holding me back from my true potential

Be careful!!!
Feeling emotionally wrecked.....:frown:
I know im not supposed to post here but i just cant cope ive not felt this bad in a long timejusft feel like everything has all gone to **** and i cant be bothered anymore
Original post by Anonymous
I know im not supposed to post here but i just cant cope ive not felt this bad in a long timejusft feel like everything has all gone to **** and i cant be bothered anymore

:hugs: You can post here all you like!
Original post by PandaWho
Its the memories they hold, my first teddy i never got attatched too as it was a big polar bear that i couldnt even cuddle! But i had a blanky that ended up getting manky so mum rolled it up and it was my sausage then :h: then i had Kevin the teddy as he was the family 'ill' teddy and cos i was a poorly child i just claimed him as mine and i still have him, but i got panda about 2 years ago :smile:

Yeah, chatting to my mum now which is good :smile:
Hope your ok, you seem a bit calmer now :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really cute :redface: I had a blanket and I loved it, couldn't get to sleep without it, and then my mum threw it away. I was devastated. :sad: And yeah, thanks. Felt a bit calmer late last night, and thankfully managed to sleep okay too which was good. Hope you slept well lovely, and are feeling okay today :hugs:
i went years and years being ashamed of feeling disappointed for not achieving what i had hoped to on exams because my friends and family would mock and shame me for not being thankful. to me, i had failed myself, despite the fact that maybe i got an A or 85% or whatever, because i knew i was capable of more. and yet everybody was shouting at me because i was being ungrateful. it took years and years of repressing those emotions to realise that i was allowed to scream and cry when i was disappointed in a grade, even if other people didn't understand it, and i feel so much freer for it - and I've also met tonnes and tonnes of people who had the same experience as me.
Original post by Team_McDreamy
i went years and years being ashamed of feeling disappointed for not achieving what i had hoped to on exams because my friends and family would mock and shame me for not being thankful. to me, i had failed myself, despite the fact that maybe i got an A or 85% or whatever, because i knew i was capable of more. and yet everybody was shouting at me because i was being ungrateful. it took years and years of repressing those emotions to realise that i was allowed to scream and cry when i was disappointed in a grade, even if other people didn't understand it, and i feel so much freer for it - and I've also met tonnes and tonnes of people who had the same experience as me.

yeah ive been in the same position, if ive got a B in an exam and I can't be upset about it because it's still good, but I put so much pressure on myself and it's not what I felt like I needed to get to make my parents proud of me. and if you say anything like you wish you'd done better it just comes across as though you're being a dick to people who got lower grades :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I was the same. I remember I needed an A* to get into uni and I got my january results back and I had missed the 90% mark, which I was disappointed in, and meant I was under much more pressure in summer. I got shouted at by a (horrible) girl in my class because the guy next to her had gotten a C... but he hadn't applied to uni, so there wasn't any pressure on him. He also didn't seem bothered... It's all about personal targets, I don't think anyone sets out to be offensive to someone else, people tend to be their own worst critics.
Original post by Odd socks
yeah ive been in the same position, if ive got a B in an exam and I can't be upset about it because it's still good, but I put so much pressure on myself and it's not what I felt like I needed to get to make my parents proud of me. and if you say anything like you wish you'd done better it just comes across as though you're being a dick to people who got lower grades :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ScaryScience
Yeah I was the same. I remember I needed an A* to get into uni and I got my january results back and I had missed the 90% mark, which I was disappointed in, and meant I was under much more pressure in summer. I got shouted at by a (horrible) girl in my class because the guy next to her had gotten a C... but he hadn't applied to uni, so there wasn't any pressure on him. He also didn't seem bothered... It's all about personal targets, I don't think anyone sets out to be offensive to someone else, people tend to be their own worst critics.

i resat several A level exams to get better UMS points overall, and the reaction i got from my peers was awful. it was definitely worse in GCSEs though because i was predicted straight A*s and everybody expected me to get straight A*s and i ended up with an A in chemistry, and i was so distraught because science was my favourite subject and i couldn't understand why i hadn't done so well in it, and when people saw me crying they thought i was looking for attention. i hadn't even told anybody my grade for fear of being mocked!
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
here comes the sun dodo dodo

why are people saying i'm vulnerable I'm just enjoying the waves rocking in the early hours back and forth
Dodo? Reminds me of Alice In Wonderland aha :tongue: They may be trying to help ya?

Original post by tricky jj
Feeling emotionally wrecked.....:frown:
Ahh, what's up? :console:

Original post by Anonymous
Don't give in! :hugs:
(edited 9 years ago)
bleh. suddenly overcome with sadness and horribleness.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Yeah, I have a lot of memory problems too but I suspect that's more down to psychosis and trauma (I was in an abusive relationship during my first degree) :sadnod: Plus I always kinda had the memory of a goldfish anyway :o: Well, for certain things. I'm quite good at remembering birthdays (or at least rough guesses at birthdays) for people who are important to me. And when I was younger I was obsessed with Henry VIII and the Tudors and memorised all the dates involved even though I was only 7 :colondollar: But I digress...

Reading what you've written can be scary and daunting, but if it's cathartic for you, it might be worth it? Sometimes in the past I have written letters/diary entries in a made-up language so that even a day or two later, I won't have any idea what I wrote and won't be able to read it, but I've at least partly got the emotion out of my system :yes:

The brain is a very strange thing! If you'd like to chat more about your different persons, you can always PM me. I'm sometimes not online but I will always reply, even if it's a day or two later :h:

Awww, no need to be intimidated. I felt the same as you when I first joined (though I think I knew Craghy from the Oxbridge subforums) but by just posting random **** every so often and replying to other people's posts, I slowly integrated :yep:

I think you are possibly being too hard on yourself by saying you only understand 10% of the workload. Remember that even at PhD level or professor-level, you are NEVER gonna know EVERYTHING in your field, let alone everyone else's fields. There's far too much to know and not enough time! :moon: Another thing to bear in mind is that here's a lot more flexibility and time with a PhD (obviously even more so if you do it part-time!). Like I couldn't work during November and December due to being in a severe depressive episode and so had to take time away from academic reading. But I did other bits and bobs and my supervisor was very supportive and the mental health advisor at RHUL got in touch with my supervisor to let her know how I was doing, etc. But because I'm only in my first year and there's so much breathing space, it wasn't a huge problem. Yes, I'm quite behind schedule now but if you're a fast worker, you can easily catch up.

So my recommendations PhD-wise would be:

1) Build up a support network at the uni you go to. Like at RHUL, I've got a mental health advisor, a DSA mentor and a study skills mentor. Obviously some of their roles overlap a bit but it's all useful support and they're very friendly and nice :smile:

2) Try to find a supervisor who understands your needs as a mentally ill student and that things won't be a walk in the park (not that any PhD ever is, anyway!)

3) Try to do something most days, even if it's just a few pages. Then you can feel virtuous! :proud:

If PMing me to talk further would help, do feel free to do so :h:

Thank you TLG :smile: really appreciate all this advice, I really struggle with telling people about my MH in the context of work/academia (even though not saying anything has worked out horribly in the past) - it's a relief to know that everything can be in place and it can be possible to do the PhD. I struggle with managing my workload at the moment - regularly skipping reading - so I did have a wobble and wonder if maybe a PhD wouldn't be manageable for me, but it's actually really helpful to see that as you said, although an episode set your schedule back, you can catch up (I am a catastrophiser, so that is v good to remember)

----------

Argh I am still in my wobble and feeling really anxious, and a former prof has got in touch about what sounds like great opportunity but I'm kind of paralysed by the anxiety. I feel like I am doomed to be a failure, that I have failed at so many things already, and that if I went for this opportunity I would only end up screwing it up somehow and burning bridges. :frown::frown::frown: Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nathanielle
Be careful!!!

don't worry I feel back in the real world now :smile: I went to bed because my mind was expanding but I couldn't breathe

This was me too! Forever getting accused of being attention seeking because I'd be upset if I didn't get the best grade. Got A*A*AAC in my a levels and I came home and sobbed about getting a C in biology, even though I'd exceeded my uni offer by 3 grades. I'm never ever happy with myself, but I held it in til I got home because I knew everyone would shout at me/be angry when I did 'so well'!
Original post by Sabertooth
I hope you don't feel like you're being forced out. I saw your lighthearted comment and I don't think you had any malice in it, just it's unfortunate that some people might get triggered by what you said. Sometimes you have to be careful with what you say, it takes a while to learn what can be triggering or not. I certainly don't think you need to leave over it but if you wish to then good luck for the future. :hugs:

And good luck with your rapping this saturday. :smile:

Thanks, I just feel like I keep saying potentially triggering stuff, that's why I keep most of my problems to myself. So it just feels like everyone here would benefit from my departure.

Latest